Old April 12th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Kurt Vonnegut

has passed away at 84. www.drudgereport.com

Rest in Peace,Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

Old April 12th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 11, 9:22 pm, wrote:
has passed away at 84. www.drudgereport.com

Rest in Peace,Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

Kurt Vonnegut was a very good writer and many of
his books were well worth reading - imho ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut
http://www.iblist.com/author40.htm
http://philosopedia.org/index.php/Kurt_Vonnegut_Jr.
http://www.nndb.com/people/928/000022862/
"Kurt Vonnegut was an Activist Unitarian, Atheist,
and Secular Humanist." all rolled up into one.
Old April 12th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 12, 4:13 am, "RHF" wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:22 pm, wrote:

has passed away at 84. www.drudgereport.com

Rest in Peace,Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

Kurt Vonnegut was a very good writer and many of
his books were well worth reading - imho ~ RHFhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonneguthttp://www.iblist.com/author40.htmhttp://philosopedia.org/index.php/Kurt_Vonnegut_Jr.http://www.nndb.com/people/928/000022862/
"Kurt Vonnegut was an Activist Unitarian, Atheist,
and Secular Humanist." all rolled up into one.
.
.
. .

His death comes as a shock to me. I read all of his earlier books

" Slaughterhouse Five", Breakfast of Champions" and " Sirens of
Titan" are the three I think of.

Here are some of his quotes:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand

1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and
joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the
continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and
imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of
years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob,
cheat, and kill them.

Breakfast of Champions

There is no way a beautiful woman can live up to what she looks like
for any appreciable length of time.
Remark of "Kilgore Trout" in Timequake (1997)

* We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system
is trying to get rid of us, as well it should.
On Humans, in an appearance on The Daily Show (September 2005)

* ...I have wanted to give Iraq a lesson in democracy-because we're
experienced with it, you know. And, in democracy, after a hundred
years, you have to let your slaves go. And, after a hundred and fifty
years, you have to let your women vote. And, at the beginning of
democracy, is that quite a bit of genocide and ethnic cleansing is
quite okay. And that's what's going on now.
Appearance on The Daily Show (September 2005)

The good Earth--we could have saved it, but we were too damn cheap and
lazy.

"I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make
people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked
if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles
did'."

Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake, 1997

Old April 12th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.devilfinder.com Movies based on Kurt Vonnegut books

He once said he remembers some Ham Radio Operators,usually up in the
attic or down in the cellar.
cuhulin

Old April 12th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12 Apr 2007 04:31:47 -0700, wrote:

" Slaughterhouse Five", Breakfast of Champions" and " Sirens of
Titan" are the three I think of.

Perhaps Imus and some of the other morning zoo / bad boy radio
personalities drink Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions before they come
up with their stunts

Old April 12th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Kurt Vonnegut attended Cornell University.(Chemistry) He earned an MA
from University of Chicago.His career at Cornell University was cut
short by his enlisting in the U.S.Army.December 22,1944 he was captured
in the Battle of the Bulge while a Battalion Scout with the 106 Infantry
Division.May 22,1945,Vonnegut was released to return to the U.S.He was
awarded the Purple Heart.A survivor of the firebombing of
Dresden,Germany in World War Two.(Source,Internet Movie Data Base.
www.imdb.com)

www.devilfinder.com Dresden Exhibit Jackson Mississippi

About the only industry that was in Dresden,Germany in World War Two was
Chinaware and I don't remember what the other industry was,but it had
nothing to do with War Materiel.Dresden,Germany was firebombed for
absolutely NO ''reason'' at all.

There is an elderly guy who lives down the street from me.He was in the
149th Signal Company,U.S.Army in Europe in World War Two,he worked in
Motor Pool.He once told me his Company was heading to Bastogne at the
tail end of the Battle of the Bulge.This evening or tomorrow,I am going
to ask him if he ever met Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

Old April 12th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default ( no longer OT) Kurt Vonnegut

In article . com,
wrote:
On Apr 12, 12:22 am, wrote:
has passed away at 84. www.drudgereport.com

Rest in Peace,Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

"I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than
a fire truck." -- Kurt Vonnegut, J

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Kurt_Vonnegut/

Late Night Live Classic this week will be rerunning an interview
with him.

(10 PM? Australian east coast time).
12:00 UTC Friday (5:00 AM Friday PDT).
Radio Australia
6020, 9580, 9590 kHz

Those of you who really don't listen to the radio could probably get a
podcast at http://www.abc.net.au/rn. Take the Late Night Live link
in the A-Z Program List.

Mark Zenier

Old April 12th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 12, 8:17 am, wrote:
[...]

The Bombing of Dresden in World War II
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing...n_World_War_II
Dresden was a key Germany Military Troops Transportion Hub
* "The list sent back to him included oil plants, tank and aircraft
factories and the cities of Berlin and Dresden. In the discussions
which followed, the Western Allies pointed out that unless Dresden was
bombed as well, the Germans could route rail traffic through Dresden
to compensate for any damage caused to Berlin and Leipzig."
* "Soviet military intelligence asserted that trains stuck in the
main station were troop trains passing through Dresden to the
front."

and now you know ~ RHF
Old April 12th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 12, 12:22 am, wrote:
has passed away at 84. www.drudgereport.com

Rest in Peace,Kurt Vonnegut.
cuhulin

So it goes.

-Brian

Old April 12th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

oo oo ooooo,,,, I have to buy me one of those Gyration Media Center
Remote Control thingys.One size fits all.Its nu nu nu.
cuhulin