Old April 12th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Recommendation for VERY small, Very rugged, digital tuning

I am looking for the a shortwave radio with these key characteristics
and would appreciate your suggestions:

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

Old April 12th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/3319.html
Old April 12th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12 Apr 2007 01:10:06 -0700, "SharpTradingCompany.com"
wrote in
. com:

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...able/0111.html
The Sony ICF-SW100S has all the features of a full-sized portable, but
is small enough to fit into your shirt pocket. This radio is an
incredible 4.375x1x2.875 inches (111x25x73 mm) 8 oz. Frequency
coverage includes 76-108 MHz FM and complete coverage of long wave,
medium wave and shortwave from from 150 - 29999 kHz continuously. The
PLL quartz frequency digital synthesized tuning is the world's most
accurate drift-free tuning method and makes tuning-in desired stations
simple and precise. The dual-conversion superheterodyne circuitry
provides high sensitivity and interference rejection. A synchronous
detector with selectable sideband is included to help reduce the
effects of adjacent channel interference and fading. The ICF-SW100S
even receives SSB single sideband and morse code signals.

The world time clock feature provides local and 24-city name/time
display. 50 memory station presets allow storage and recall of
frequency and station name at a touch of a button. The auto scan
feature allows scanning of available stations one at a time with a few
seconds pause before resuming or can hold on a specific frequency.
Other features include 1 kHz tuning, dual clock/alarm, LED tuning
indicator, tone control and FM stereo via headphone jack.
Old April 12th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/3319.html

Depending on the type of travel/camping that's being done, the ICF-
SW7600GR can present size issues. When traveling about in the Indian
subcontinent some years back, I came to loathe the bulkiness of the
ICF-SW7600G, since the preference was to travel as light as possible.
That said, the unit provided very good service throughout, and it was
reasonably well-built that I didn't have to worry about it taking a
knock here or there, while in its supplied case. When returning to
India a few years later, I traveled with the smaller Sangean ATS-606A,
taking into account the previous trip's lesson. Decent performance on
the whole, although when in the Western Ghats during the monsoon
season, the LCD blanked out entirely (although the unit otherwise
worked). It didn't return to normal until I got out of the exceedingly
humid climate.

Anyway, I'd travel with either of 'em again. If I was intent on doing
a fair bit of listening, I'd go with the exttra bulk and take the
Sony.

Junius.

Old April 12th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I remember the heat and humidity in Vietnam.I was at Shannon Wright
Compound,South of Saigon for about three months and then I got
transfered to Tan Son Nhut,about six or seven miles North of Saigon.The
weather never cools down in the places in Vietnam where I was,it is just
as hot and humid and muggy and sticky weather at night time as it is in
the day time.I was constantly sweating every minute of every day and
night when I was over there.That heat and humidity over there is sompin
else! www.114thaviationcompany.com www.tsna.org

In fact,I received an email yesterday from someone at the 114th Aviation
Company website.
cuhulin

Old April 12th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''
I have a small Eton 100 which has been reliable and has all the
features. It is also inexpensive (about $60). It's worth a look.

ve3iut..proud holder of the Telamon "Generalissimo panjandrum hooha
idiot award..first class."

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

[...]

I would agree with the SW100. Used one for international travel for many
years (now use SW07).
The SW100 may still be available new in Europe. For travel a used SW100
would suffice.

Old April 12th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:05:37 -0500, "HD.Radio"
wrote in :

[...]

I found three new ones for sale on eBay.

For travel a used SW100 would suffice.

Absolutely. If you can find one.

Old April 13th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping

Greetings: I have the Sony 7600, Eton E5, and several other
radios, (Including my Panasonic RF2200, not for sale.) The Sony SW100S
is a great radio, but getting harder to find, and is somewhat pricey
for most people, unless you can pick up a used one in great
condition. If you can, then get it. The SW100S is a fantastic little
radio. The Sony ICF7600 and Eton E5, Grundig G5 are also great radios
that I would have no trouble recommending, except the "VERY small" is
one of your conditions, so I rule them out. I love these radios at
home but I take a Degen DE11 with me when traveling and I want to go
REALLY small.
One that I use, and like very much is the Degen DE11, that I
bought on eBay. The radio measures, 4.3x2.8x1 inches, (110x71x23 mm).
It is single conversion, but pretty damn good for a single conversion
in such a small package. But it does not receive single side band. The
DE105, and DE101 are about the same size, but in my opinion the DE11
is a better radio. I have all three, and although the DE105 is good,
the DE101 just doesn't have it as far as being a good radio. But that
is kind of expected since it is such a cheap radio. I thought it
would, but after using them all, I feel the DE11 is the best of the
three.
On thing I did was get a nice Lowepro camera case for the DE11. It
fits the radio like a glove, giving decent protection and has a small
pouch that fits the extension antenna and hold a couple of spare
batteries. I highly recommend getting a Lowepro case or something
similar if you wish to give good protection to this little radio if
you decide to get it.
I will tell you that there are stories that Degens quality control
is not quite as high as it was a couple of years ago. There are
stories that the odd customer has received a radio with a quality
problem. I suppose I have been lucky so far. I also have bought the
Kaito KA1101, and the Kaito KA1102, and I'm happy with them both.
Best regards, Cato

Old April 13th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

#1 VERY small
#2 VERY rugged
#3 digital tuning
#4 the most features.

I want it for world travel as well as camping.

Oh yes... one other thing.....
They DE11 is very inexpensive compared to the Sony radios. So,
when traveling, if your DE11 gets lost, or stolen, or, (in this day
and age), confiscated, you are out a lot less money then with the more
expensive radios. It will be easier to replace with another DE11.
But, if money is no object,, go for the Sony.
Cato