Old April 24th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default And odd way to reduce noise in coax.

Cold wire is a better conductor.

Besure to ground the coax

Burr

Old April 24th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yea but if its not absolute Zero it isnt better

-459.67 °F

If you have moisture or water in your coax then getting it below freezing
definatley does help! Ice wont conduct RF or electricity!

I've seen this hundreds of times working for a cable TV company...When the
WX gets frigid TV clears right up!

Old April 24th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message , ralph
writes
Cold wire is a better conductor.

Besure to ground the coax

Burr

Yea but if its not absolute Zero it isnt better

-459.67 °F

If you have moisture or water in your coax then getting it below freezing
definatley does help! Ice wont conduct RF or electricity!

I've seen this hundreds of times working for a cable TV company...When the
WX gets frigid TV clears right up!

"download.com" wrote in message

After 43 years in the cable TV industry, the old memory is beginning to
go, but I reckon that the coefficient of loss change is 'point two Ohs
two per dB per degree C'. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the UK we don't have so great a problem as in the US. Coax is
invariably buried (never slung on utility poles etc), and the
above-ground extremes of temperature are much less.

And if you use dry ice to cool your coax, you shouldn't have moisture
ingress problems.

Ian.

Old April 24th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Drill a couple of holes in the freezer part of your refrigerator (or a
freezer,if you have one) Route your coax cable through the holes and
seal it up real good around the edges of the holes.(you wife will
probally say,,,, Oh h..l NO! you are NOT! either!)
cuhulin