Old April 29th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave
bud bud is offline

Default Zenith Transoceanic Royal 1000-1 - Need some help??

I came across a real nice Zenith 1000. I'd rate it's overall
condition as excellent. However it's dead.

I've completed phase 1 troubleshooting. (switch is good, substituted
known good 12VDC supply, chassis components and wiring all look good).

What I'm looking for are two things:

1. Is there a website that shows basic theory of operation/
troubleshooting of these type radios. I've repaired plenty of tube
type equipment but never a transistor radio powered by 12VDC. I
suspect I have a power supply problem but not exactly sure how it
works.

2. Are there any known issues or common problems with these Zenith
Royal 1000's. Anything I should start with?

TIA

Old April 29th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 28, 7:26 pm, bud wrote:
I came across a real nice Zenith 1000. I'd rate it's overall
condition as excellent. However it's dead.

I've completed phase 1 troubleshooting. (switch is good, substituted
known good 12VDC supply, chassis components and wiring all look good).

What I'm looking for are two things:

1. Is there a website that shows basic theory of operation/
troubleshooting of these type radios. I've repaired plenty of tube
type equipment but never a transistor radio powered by 12VDC. I
suspect I have a power supply problem but not exactly sure how it
works.

2. Are there any known issues or common problems with these Zenith
Royal 1000's. Anything I should start with?

TIA

Bud, contact me directly. Remove spaces and substitute correct items.

p f j w at a o l dot c o m

Old April 29th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

bud wrote:
I came across a real nice Zenith 1000. I'd rate it's overall
condition as excellent. However it's dead.

I've completed phase 1 troubleshooting. (switch is good, substituted
known good 12VDC supply, chassis components and wiring all look good).

What I'm looking for are two things:

1. Is there a website that shows basic theory of operation/
troubleshooting of these type radios. I've repaired plenty of tube
type equipment but never a transistor radio powered by 12VDC. I
suspect I have a power supply problem but not exactly sure how it
works.

2. Are there any known issues or common problems with these Zenith
Royal 1000's. Anything I should start with?

TIA

There is a common problem of the emitter and other elements shorting to
the case. These 4 lead transistors have a shield lead that is connected
to the case and grounded. The fix is easy, just cut off the shield lead.
Also there are a few small electrolytic caps that should be replaced.
Old April 29th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

Lou D wrote:
bud wrote:
[...]

I had a small problem with a 3000-1. Similar circuitry, with FM. In
use, it would pop and go dead.

There is a cap near the volume control that grounded to chassis.
Killed everything.

Replaced the cap, insulated the leads. Came right back to life.

Put in a stack of fresh batteries and don't be afraid to poke around
in there. Some problems manifest themselves with a little mechanical
prodding on products of this vintage.

Old April 29th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for all the help. I got it working. There's a 5 uf coupling
capacitor that goes from the 1st audio stage to the driver stage. It
was open circuit. It appears it wasn't getting any signal to amplify.

It works great now. I was sure hoping it wasn't the output
transformer or the transistors.