Old May 5th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig Satellit 3400......repaired

This is the second one I had with poor LW/MW/SW1/SW2 sensitivity. These
single conversion bands use a different RF amplifier than the dual
conversion drum tuner bands.
It turned out that the RF amplifier for the single conversion bands had
leakage from base to collector. I measured a 1.5V drop in both directions.
It should have been between .6 and .9V, in only one direction. The gain was
ok when I replaced it, but it should have been higher because the original
transistor was a 250MHz device and I replaced it with a 600MHz device. That
would give this stage approximately 2.2 times the gain of the original.
Then..........I readjusted that bias control, and aha..........the gain came
way up. It is about as sensitive as a Satellit 210 now. I still need to
reassemble and align the front end to match with the new device. It is going
to be pretty good when I finish it up.
If you ever run into the Satellit 2000,2100,3000, or 3400 odds are pretty
good that this stage is blown.

Pete