Old June 4th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Thunder & lightning

βish wrote:
Was wondering if it is safe to listen to Shortwave radio without
terribly long external antenna during such time. I actually like the
crackle pops along with the fading audio. Would I damage the radio by
doing this? Radio is Sony 2010 with about 10 ft. long antenna slung
near the window.

TIA

Would you be injured? No.

Your radio? Not likely. But that's not assured.

You don't have to be directly struck to damage you radio. A nearby
strike can easily raise electric potential in the surrounding area
sufficiently to induce a current into metal objects, your antenna being
one of them.

2010 is particularly susceptible to static damage, but it's by far
not the only item that's vulnerable.

A few years ago, during a particularly spirited discussion on the
group, I had my radios on during a rather mild and not terribly close
thunderstorm.

Now, I run have an active splitter feeding my radios from common
antennae. And that night the Eavesdropper was switched in, and I had 4
radios going.

At one point, there was a fairly distant flash of lightning out the
window, but no thunder. And there was a pop on all of the active radios.

And then silence.

The static strike had induced a current spike in the antenna, and
taken out the active splitter.

The radios, themselves, were not damaged, but the active splitter
was demised.

For the most part, there's no reason to be concerned about listening
in a thunderstorm. And an indoor antenna will rarely, if ever, pose a
problem under such conditions.

But be advised that some electronics are sensitive to nearby static
strikes, and can be taken out without direct contact.

Good listening.

Old June 4th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

Would you be injured? No.

Your radio? Not likely. But that's not assured.

You don't have to be directly struck to damage you radio. A nearby
strike can easily raise electric potential in the surrounding area
sufficiently to induce a current into metal objects, your antenna
being one of them.

2010 is particularly susceptible to static damage,

For the most part, there's no reason to be concerned about listening
in a thunderstorm. And an indoor antenna will rarely, if ever, pose a
problem under such conditions.

Yes, the 2010 IS particularly sensitive to ESD (electrostatic discharge)
and even though an antenna is indoors, voltage CAN be induced into it
from nearby storms.

Try this experiment. Take an NE-2 neon bulb; connect one lead of the
bulb to your indoor antenna. Connect the other lead to any convenient
ground. Wait for a nearby thunderstorm (2-4 miles away). Please note how
many times the bulb flashes. The NE-2 lights at about 60 volts. Your
2010 may not like this. Even though the antenna is "indoors", this
experiment will clearly demonstrate that a significant voltage can be
induced into even an indoor antenna. So, it all comes down to "How lucky
do you feel?" and how much you value the 2010.
Old June 4th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The Choices and Consequences of Lightning Protection for a Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Station {Shack} -by- Jack Painter [Creating Your Own Ground Zero ]

D Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

do you feel?" and how much you value the 2010.- Hide quoted text -

TT,

Actually, what Clint Eastwood says in Dirty Harry (1971)
is not "Do You Feel Lucky ?" - - - The correct line is :
"You've Got To Ask Yourself One Question :
'Do I Feel Lucky ?' Well, Do Ya Punk ?"

IMHO - It is better to "Trust-in-Safe-Operating-Practices"
-vice- 'Take-a-Chance-on-Luck' ~ RHF

READ - The Choices and Consequences of Lightning Protection
for a Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Station {Shack}
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground0.htm
-by- Jack Painter [Creating Your Own Ground Zero ]

Shortwave Listener's (SWL) Antenna Group Message 13576
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw.../message/13576

* Prelude - Some Common Questions and Misconceptions
about Thunder & Lightning . . .
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground2.htm

* The Forces and Affects of Lightning
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/basics.htm
Question - How Deadly Is Your Shack's Ground ?

* Aspects of the Destructive Energy of Lightning
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/aspects.htm
Direct - Near -and- Far Lightning Hits Can Affect You

* Question - What Keeps Lightning from Destroying Stuff ?
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground3.htm
Common Bonding: Rule #1 for Successful Grounding

* External Grounds: a better place for Lightning !
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground4.htm

* Inductance {EMF} - Why Grounding Is Never Enough
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/inductance.htm

* Conclusions, Sample Equipment, Links, and Credits
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/ground5.htm

* * Schematics of the "Oceana" Radio Station Grounding
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/station/schematic.htm

so - have you built your radio shack from . . .
'the ground' up ? ? ? - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
! - - -

Radio A SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \

Sirio Thunder 27 OchoNueve CB 0 November 26th 06 08:01 PM
About lightning etc... Jan Panteltje CB 27 October 15th 05 12:03 AM
(OT) Thunder N8KDV Shortwave 12 May 18th 04 03:32 AM
Lightning Man! Len Over 21 Policy 2 October 28th 03 03:41 AM
Lightning? IN/IL Ron Hardin Shortwave 2 July 15th 03 09:04 PM