Old July 5th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default receiver gloat Grundig 800

I've been visiting a second hand store here for a few months. They had a
Grundig 800 on display for the last month and a half, with an asking
price of 350$ Can. I'm cheap, so I kept offering them 250 because the
antenna slides apart at the first segment.

Today they broke down and I got the radio for 250. It's scratch free and
has the power supply. The thing works very well and unlike the Sony 7600
I tried, the sync seems to be working as intended.

I now need to find out which revision it is, but I've got problems
finding any information on the web.

Serial #S80110089XX (the XX my change)

If anyone has the lineage of these things, I'd appreciate some input.

I recall something about the power supply problems and this is a
concern. The date on mine says made in China (surprise) Oct-Dec 2000

mike
Old July 5th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 4, 9:29 pm, m II wrote:
I've been visiting a second hand store here for a few months. They had a
Grundig 800 on display for the last month and a half, with an asking
price of 350$ Can. I'm cheap, so I kept offering them 250 because the
antenna slides apart at the first segment.

Today they broke down and I got the radio for 250. It's scratch free and
has the power supply. The thing works very well and unlike the Sony 7600
I tried, the sync seems to be working as intended.

I now need to find out which revision it is, but I've got problems
finding any information on the web.

Serial #S80110089XX (the XX my change)

If anyone has the lineage of these things, I'd appreciate some input.

I recall something about the power supply problems and this is a
concern. The date on mine says made in China (surprise) Oct-Dec 2000

mike

Mike,

The Grundig Satellit 800 is and Excellent
Shortwave Listener's Radio :
Nice Practical Features and Very Good Sound

IIRC - #S8011xxxxxx translates to :
- - - S8 = Satellit 800
- - - '0' = 2000
- - - '11' = Nov
= = = Month of Assembly : Nov 2000
That would seem to agree with the Power Supply's
Date-of-Manufacture : Oct-Dec 2000

Check-Out the Grundig Satellit 800 Radio Group
GS800M = http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Satellit800/

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old July 5th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Unrevealed Source wrote:

The "second generation" Sat800 began sometime in 82 (not sure exactly which
month) so yours is a first-generation. Those are the ones that most people
complain about; the 2nd generation fixed the problems. Not that the
problems were huge to begin with; some quality-control issues, flimsy tuning
knob, noisy power supply.

It's still a great radio. For $250 there is probably not a better one.
Enjoy it.

The tuning knob has a bearing inserted in it. It rides on a brass sleeve
which is threaded around the encoder mount, so there appears to have
been an upgrade. The price was great and I'm happy nobody else got it.

mike
Old July 5th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Then it's very possible that it's been back to Drake (they do the
factory/warranty service on these) and yours has been upgraded. That's
great. It's a great radio. If you can put up a long wire outside, you'll
be amazed at what you can receive with it.

Old July 7th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"m II" wrote in message
I've been visiting a second hand store here for a few months. They had a
Grundig 800 on display for the last month and a half, with an asking price
of 350$ Can. I'm cheap, so I kept offering them 250 because the antenna
slides apart at the first segment.

Here's mine in action. Good radio with excellent audio.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/6855kHz.wmv

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old July 7th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

At the price they are asking,,,, believe you me, that is not a thrift
store.I would literally have told them to, Shove It!
Let that self same radio show up at the Goodwill thrift store seven
tenths of a mile South (South is always best) of doggy's couch and I
Guarantee you I could buy that radio for five dollars (five dollars
American money) or less.
cuhulin

Old July 7th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own a genuine made in 1957 Grundig AM/FM/Shortwave/Phonograph wooden
cabinet floor model radio, I believe the radio was actually manufactured
by Telefunken.I bought the radio for fourteen American dollars at the
old Goodwill thrift store that used to be on Palmyra Street in Jackson,
about four and a half miles East of doggy's couch.The radio does work,
but it needs tuning up or something.Not for sale or trade for love or
money.I also own a big Telefunken wooden cabinet AM/FM/Shortwave table
model radio I bought for four American dollars at that same Goodwill
store.I don't know if the radio works, I need a polarized cord for the
radio, where the cord plugs into the jack on the back of the radio.Maybe
someday I might try the radio out.
Somebody at alt.gossip.celebrities said she doesn't shop ''fasionably''
at Goodwill.What a Dummy!
cuhulin

Old July 8th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Simon Mason" wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
I've been visiting a second hand store here for a few months. They had
Grundig 800 on display for the last month and a half, with an asking
price
of 350$ Can. I'm cheap, so I kept offering them 250 because the antenna
slides apart at the first segment.

Here's mine in action. Good radio with excellent audio.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/6855kHz.wmv

What antenna were you using?

Random wire in the back yard.

Old July 8th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 7, 1:33 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
"Simon Mason" wrote:

"m II" wrote in message
I've been visiting a second hand store here for a few months. They had a
Grundig 800 on display for the last month and a half, with an asking price
of 350$ Can. I'm cheap, so I kept offering them 250 because the antenna
slides apart at the first segment.

Here's mine in action. Good radio with excellent audio.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/6855kHz.wmv

What antenna were you using?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon,

If you are asking about Mike (M II)

Location : Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Shortwave Radio : Grundig Satellit 800

Antenna :100 Foot Antenna, oriented North/South
- - - presumed to be a 'Classic' Long Wire Antenna
-vice- an 'Improved' Random Wire with a Balum

and now you know ~ RHF