Old July 26th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

On Jul 25, 4:41 pm, wrote:
On Jul 25, 2:03 pm, bpnjensen wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:37 pm, RHF wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:

790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

Continous Loop {Cycled} Broadcast of NOAA Weather Radio

S-Meter : Constant S5 with Fair Audio
-but- NO Top-of-the-Hour ID at 20:00 UTC / 1:00 PM PDT

SOURCE - 790 KCOR CA, Richmond - 9/21 @ 2145
new emergency radio TIS (K-City of Richmond), mostly
relaying NOAA VHF weather radio KHB49; intended to
broadcast warnings of industrial accidents. (AWP-CA)http://www.hard-core-dx.com/archive/1995/msg00292.html

Travellers' Information Stations (TIS) FCC Info & Search
TIS =http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/tis.html
Travellers' Information Stations (TIS) operate in the
AM Broadcast Band (530 kHz - 1700 kHz) and are
Limited to a 10 Watt Transmitter Output Power; the
Antenna Height may not exceed 15 Meters (49.2 Feet).

FCC Data for WPED339http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/genmen/uls/uls_call_res.hts...

TIS and "ALERT" Radio Stations across America . . .http://www.theradiosource.com/articl...ss-america.htm
City of Richmond - 790 kHz (fixed ALERT AM station)
.
RHF's Standard "QSL" Information Posting
for Shortwave Radio Listeners (SWL)
[ Reference Message with Links and URLs ]http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/9b5a245dc0f5d16f
.
My Radio/Receiver : Icom IC-R75 (R-75) with Kiwa Mods
Using an external RCA 4" Full Range Mini-Speaker [5" Cube]
.
Today's "NEW" Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna :
Four Element Flat TV 5-Wire Rotor Cable 25 Foot
Long Horizontal Wire Antenna - - - a la John Doty
Laid-Out : South-West to North-East (Far End)
22 Foot Up about Two-Feet above the Back Roof
TV 'type' 300 Ohm to 75 Ohm Matching Transformer
RG6 Coax Cable Feed-in-Line about 25 Feet Long
.
o------------------------------------------------X 50 Feet Two
X------------------------------------------------X Wires Folded
X------------------------------------------------o 25 Feet Wire
X------------------------------------------------X 37.5 Feet 1 1/2
X----------------------x x---------------------X Wires Folded
12.5 Ft 1/2 Wire
.
= 50 Feet ~ 1/4 WL for 60M Shortwave Band
= 37.5 Feet ~ 1/4 WL for 49M Shortwave Band
= 25 Feet ~ 1/4 WL for 31M Shortwave Band
= 12.5 Feet ~ 1/4 WL for 16M Shortwave Band
.
My Location : OK-Land, Cali-4-Ni-A, USofA
Metro-Area : SF Bay Area
Geographic Region : Northern California
World : West Coast of the USA (North America)
Global : 122*W24' Longitude by 37*N78' Latitude
.

/ \
.......! .......

List of some Local SF Bay Area "Alert"
and Travellers' Information Stations (TIS)http://www.theradiosource.com/articl...america.htm#CA
City Novato - 530 kHz
City of Alameda - 1280 kHz
City of Berkeley - 1610 kHz
City of Cupertino - 1670 kHz
City of Foster City - 1680 kHz
City of Martinez - 530 kHz
City of Menlo Park - 1670 kHz
City of Newark - 1610 kHz
City of Oakland - 530 kHz
City of Pittsburg - 790 kHz
City of Richmond - 790 kHz
City of San Jose - 1330 kHz
City of San Leandro - 1610 kHz
City of San Mateo - 530 kHz
City of Saratoga - 1610 kHz
County of San Mateo at Pescadero - 1680 kHz
International Airport at Oakland International Airport - 1700 kHz
International Airport at San Francisco - 1610 kHz
International Airport at San Jose - 530 kHz
Military Base Mare Island Naval Seashore at Vallejo - 530 kHz
National Aeronautics and Space Administration's
Ames Research Center at San Jose - 1700 kHz

IF - You are in the SF Bay Area - Can you hear any of these ?

Here in San Lorenzo, I readily receive the San Leandro and Oakland
Airport TIS. Alameda might be available too, although it is smack in
the middle of the MW band. The TIS across the Bay - SF Airport,
Foster City and San Mateo, may also be available, although SFO is on
the same freq as San Leandro.

Interesting that the Tri-Cities don't show here - Fremont, Hayward,
Union City. No Milpitas either.

Bruce Jensen
From the East Bay, I'm getting Spanish music on 1280. Most of the

stations on the list I have heard one time or another.

As you know, at night in the Bay Area, some San Diego station comes in
on 1700.

There is also that Caltrans temporary frequency. It used to be 860
IIRC, but now there is a radio station on that frequency.

860 is a Modesto station. Years ago, it was KTRB. I have no idea
what's there now. KTRB tried a 24 hour all news format about 10 years
ago that lasted about a year before failing. Around the same time a FM
station in Reno (as well as FMs in several other cities around the
country) experimented with all news. Those are also generally gone.

KCBS in San Francisco and KNX in Los Angeles are the only MW all news
stations west of the Rockies that have stood the test of time that I'm
aware of. At night, they easily cover the Western US and probably
parts of western Canada too (KNX can probably be heard well into
Mexico, although it probably doesn't do the Mexicans much good), so
it's difficult for anybody else to get a hold on the market. Most
stations in the West that try have the format go belly up, then
usually switch to right wing talk, which is vastly cheaper.

Spanish language talk and music is increasingly popular, which is
frustrating for those DXers trying to log Mexico. Non-Spanish ethnic
broadcasts are gaining ground too. A Sacramento station is entirely in
the Hmong language. Russian can also be heard from Sacramento. San
Francisco airwaves are full of Chinese and Japanese, as well as some
Vietnamese. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Hindi from SF, since
Silicon Valley is full of East Indians. I have yet to hear Arabic
despite a growing number of Muslims.

Caltrans uses 1710, I think. It's mainly used in the Sierras to
broadcast snow conditions during winter. It only runs when there's a
big snowstorm, of course. I suspect that there's a tx network along
Interstate 80 and maybe US 50 too. CA 70 and CA 88 probably get short
shrift. Those are the main routes over the hills. 4 and 108 are closed
in winter, as is of course 120. South of that the Sierra is too steep
to allow travel-you have to go down to the highway over the Tehachapis
(58, I think) to get over. North of that there are several state
highways that are lightly traveled all year because they don't really
go anywhere. I believe that Susanville and Modoc County are two
destinations of those roads. Past Cedarville the pavement ends on 299,
and the dirt road is not maintained because it goes into a wildlife
refuge. A California family tried driving out there in winter and
nearly died. If not for a park ranger, they would have vanished into
the desert. Nevada is crisscrossed with never traveled dirt roads.
People go out there and vanish. They get a flat tire and it's all
over.