Old March 17th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Beloved Leader

Default BBC Programs Heard on DC-area FM stations.

There was a column in the Sunday Washington Post about programming from
the BBC showing up on local non-profit FM stations in the DC area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/10/AR2006031
001721.html

http://tinyurl.com/zg4g2

Radio News With A British Accent
Sunday, March 12, 2006; Page B08

You may have noticed a lot more British accents on local radio these
days. The BBC World Service has become a fixture on WETA and WAMU,
bumping the local programming that once was dominant.

WETA-FM, for example, now airs at least four hours of BBC World Service
Radio -- unfiltered -- each weekday. WAMU-FM also is airing much more
BBC programming, including on its overnight schedule.

There were some LTTE's this morning on this column.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/15/AR2006031
502070.html

http://tinyurl.com/z2x3y

The BBC's Window on the World
Thursday, March 16, 2006; Page A22

David Pitts ["Radio News With a British Accent," Close to Home, March
12] said that it was disturbing that the BBC has taken a prominent role
in U.S. public radio and implied that the British Foreign Office exerts
editorial control over the BBC World Service. That is false.

The BBC World Service is funded by a grant from Britain's Parliament,
administered by the Foreign Office. But the Foreign Office has no say
in the BBC's editorial agenda.

On editorial matters, the World Service is responsible only to the
director general of the BBC and the BBC Board of Governors. These
principles are laid out in the broadcasting agreement with the United
Kingdom.

PHILIP HARDING

Director
English Networks & News
BBC World Service
London

.... goes on to page 2....
The last letter is really funny.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/15/AR2006031
502070_2.html

http://tinyurl.com/g45q5

The BBC's Window on the World
I strongly disagree with David Pitts's commentary lamenting the
abundance of BBC World Service content on WETA and WAMU-FM. I'm
fascinated by the world perspective provided by the BBC's news and
commentary, as well as by the "World Have Your Say" show, which
features callers from around the globe, including the United States.

While the BBC news does displace local content, I'm hardly alienated
from my locality, considering the availability of neighborhood
newspapers and The Post; local news on radio (including WAMU and WETA)
and television; local news and commentary e-mail lists; and many Web
sites.

Mr. Pitts suggested that while government funding makes Voice of
America "to some degree" a propaganda organ, we should beware the BBC's
coverage because it is tainted by government funding. I'm happy to
trade the lost hours of local gabfests for the BBC's world window.

Wouldn't the world improve if more people broadened their perspectives,
rather than hearing from only their like-thinking neighbors?

GABRIEL GOLDBERG
Falls Church

David Pitts said that BBC World Service Radio is the main competitor of
Voice of America (VOA).

That used to be true, but the Board of Broadcast Governors, which
controls the VOA, has announced that it intends to discontinue almost
all English-language radio broadcasting at the end of September because
so few people are listening. That just might be the case because the
board has turned off many VOA transmitters.

Travelers abroad who want to hear news of the United States might try
Radio China (Beijing). It has 24-hour English-language radio service.

NEIL CURRIE

Potomac
The writer is a news anchor at Voice of America.

Old March 17th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
running dogg

Beloved Leader wrote:

There was a column in the Sunday Washington Post about programming from
the BBC showing up on local non-profit FM stations in the DC area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3/10/AR2006031
001721.html

http://tinyurl.com/zg4g2

Radio News With A British Accent
Sunday, March 12, 2006; Page B08

You may have noticed a lot more British accents on local radio these
days. The BBC World Service has become a fixture on WETA and WAMU,
bumping the local programming that once was dominant.

WETA-FM, for example, now airs at least four hours of BBC World Service
Radio -- unfiltered -- each weekday. WAMU-FM also is airing much more
BBC programming, including on its overnight schedule.

BBC feed is cheaper than producing stuff locally. Most AM stations air
syndicated talk, and only have 1 or 2 local talk hosts. I know that the
local Air America station airs AA feed all day except for one four hour
slot.

[...]

In fact, the BBC has been at odds with the UK govt on several issues,
including Iraq (the BBC was bashing the war as British troops were
invading).

[...]

Actually, the two structures are totally different. VOA was under an
office that handles what essentially is the US govt's voice. The BBC is
quasi-independent, like the US Postal Service is quasi-independent of
the US govt.

David Pitts said that BBC World Service Radio is the main competitor of
Voice of America (VOA).

That used to be true, but the Board of Broadcast Governors, which
controls the VOA, has announced that it intends to discontinue almost
all English-language radio broadcasting at the end of September because
so few people are listening. That just might be the case because the
board has turned off many VOA transmitters.

Travelers abroad who want to hear news of the United States might try
Radio China (Beijing). It has 24-hour English-language radio service.

NEIL CURRIE

Potomac
The writer is a news anchor at Voice of America.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(snort, choke)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't believe that the VOA is actually suggesting that people turn to
China for news about the US. I'd only be more surprised if they said to
listen to RHC, or VOIRI/Voice of Justice. If so few people are
listening, then why are China and Thailand expanding SW services, why
are Chinese portable SW radios selling briskly over Ebay? Maybe so few
people are/were listening to VOA because 15 years of cutbacks left it a
shadow of its former self, with that much criticized News Now rolling
news format. It sounded like an American domestic all news station, say
KCBS in San Francisco. That may be fine for Americans, but it doesn't
fly in the rest of the world. People want to hear in depth analysis and
reporting and features. IBB has decided that people want to hear music,
thus Radio Sawa. Again, the IBB is programming for an American audience,
but in Arabic. The two cultures are in many ways opposite.

Old March 17th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

running dogg wrote:

Beloved Leader wrote:

[...]

How the heck could one stand to listen to AA all day to find that out?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 17th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
adam214

There has a being a news radio in Australia for years which has BBC and
programs from different sources all over the world i dont see the problem.

http://www.abc.net.au/newsradio/programs/

I think the guy would **** himself, if he saw all of this diversity
non-american stuff on the radio station he mentioned.I think he is being
a ****** BBC is better than any american stuff.
Old March 17th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
jtaylor

"running dogg" wrote in message

Travelers abroad who want to hear news of the United States might try
Radio China (Beijing). It has 24-hour English-language radio service.

NEIL CURRIE

Potomac
The writer is a news anchor at Voice of America.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
(snort, choke)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't believe that the VOA is actually suggesting that people turn to
China for news about the US. I'd only be more surprised if they said to
listen to RHC, or VOIRI/Voice of Justice. If so few people are
listening, then why are China and Thailand expanding SW services, why
are Chinese portable SW radios selling briskly over Ebay?

like

the

jazz

show

in

spesh

ul

eng

lish.

Old March 17th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

Beloved Leader wrote:
[...]

BBC is a regular on public radio and television and I find it to be a
good addition to the news programming already available on those
stations. Clearly it displaces other content, but whether local,
national or international programming that was displaced would be hard
to determine. British programming has been a regular on public radio
and television since the early days. I hope Pitts is not lamenting the
availability of high quality dramatic programming of non U.S. origins
as well. I see news from BBC as adding to the already wide range of
programming on public radio and television.

Old March 17th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ed

Guys, this is only the beginning. The World Radio Network (
http://www.wrn.org/)is promoting other shortwave broadcasters as well.

I'm ok with this. It's fun to switch from the BEEB on World Band to the
BEEB on my local NPR station, hearing the same thing.

Ed

Old March 17th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John S.

News about the world is available from so many sources now that I don't
understand the risk of having a non U.S. source of news on public
television. Actully if they would devote some air time to non-U.S.
news sources such as Radio Beijing, Al Jazeera I think we would be the
better for having that information.

I'll try not to get too carried away with this thought, but public
television and radio runs a real risk of being left behind if they
don't include news and programming from outside the U.S. Fortunately
they have chosen to do so for a long time.

Old March 17th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Mar 2006 06:10:02 -0800, "John S." wrote:

BBC is a regular on public radio and television and I find it to be a
good addition to the news programming already available on those
stations. Clearly it displaces other content, but whether local,
national or international programming that was displaced would be hard
to determine. British programming has been a regular on public radio
and television since the early days. I hope Pitts is not lamenting the
availability of high quality dramatic programming of non U.S. origins
as well. I see news from BBC as adding to the already wide range of
programming on public radio and television.

The World Service is not on television.

Old March 17th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 17 Mar 2006 06:30:55 -0800, "John S." wrote:

News about the world is available from so many sources now that I don't
understand the risk of having a non U.S. source of news on public
television. Actully if they would devote some air time to non-U.S.
news sources such as Radio Beijing, Al Jazeera I think we would be the
better for having that information.

I'll try not to get too carried away with this thought, but public
television and radio runs a real risk of being left behind if they
don't include news and programming from outside the U.S. Fortunately
they have chosen to do so for a long time.

NPR is pretty world class with their newscasts. The closest
domestically produced programs generally available in the USA, at any
rate.

PRI also does an excellent job, in partnership with WGBH and the BBC
on ''The World'', middays.