Old July 26th 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

Continous Loop {Cycled} Broadcast of NOAA Weather Radio

S-Meter : Constant S5 with Fair Audio
-but- NO Top-of-the-Hour ID at 20:00 UTC / 1:00 PM PDT

SOURCE - 790 KCOR CA, Richmond - 9/21 @ 2145
new emergency radio TIS (K-City of Richmond), mostly
relaying NOAA VHF weather radio KHB49; intended to
broadcast warnings of industrial accidents. (AWP-CA)http://www.hard-core-dx.com/archive/1995/msg00292.html

For those unfamiliar with Richmond, it's a largely industrial area.
The residents tend to be black and poor. The shoreline is lined with
oil refineries and other nasties. It is not far from Oakland, which is
why RHF can hear it. The weather radio is just a placeholder to keep
the tx busy. In most of the nation VHF weather radio is used to warn
of disasters, but Richmond residents cannot afford NOAA weather radios
even if they knew about them, and unlike in tornado alley weather
radios are hard to find in California. Frys sells them, but most
Richmond residents cannot get to a Frys. I don't know how many have MW
radios, considering the fact that most New Orleans residents did not
have battery operated radios.

Old July 27th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

In most of the nation VHF weather radio is used to warn
of disasters, but Richmond residents cannot afford NOAA weather radios
even if they knew about them, and unlike in tornado alley weather
radios are hard to find in California.

They don't have Radio Shack in CA?

I think your whole premise is faulty. Most "average citizens", rich,
middle class, or poor, do not have NOAA radios. They find out about
impending weather conditions from broadcast radio and television.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Old July 27th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 27, 2:46 pm, Larry Weil wrote:
In article . com,
American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

In most of the nation VHF weather radio is used to warn
of disasters, but Richmond residents cannot afford NOAA weather radios
even if they knew about them, and unlike in tornado alley weather
radios are hard to find in California.

They don't have Radio Shack in CA?

I think your whole premise is faulty. Most "average citizens", rich,
middle class, or poor, do not have NOAA radios. They find out about
impending weather conditions from broadcast radio and television.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Mr. AI was trying to make subtle racial remarks. First of all,
Richmond isn't all that close to Oakland. In fact, they are in
different counties. There is a Fry's in Concord, and both towns have
BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) service, so a Richmond resident could
get to Concord even if they didn't own a car. CA is plenty of
RadioShacks as well.

There is no denying Richmond has some tough neighborhoods. However,
parts of town are middle class, and Point Richmond is upper middle
class. Point Richmond was where Pixar was located until they moved to
Emeryville.

Old July 28th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
790 kHz - NOAA Weather Radio being Heard - SF Bay Area

In most of the nation VHF weather radio is used to warn
of disasters, but Richmond residents cannot afford NOAA weather radios
even if they knew about them, and unlike in tornado alley weather
radios are hard to find in California.

They don't have Radio Shack in CA?

I think your whole premise is faulty. Most "average citizens", rich,
middle class, or poor, do not have NOAA radios. They find out about
impending weather conditions from broadcast radio and television.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

LW,

WPED339 on 790 kHz in the AM Broadcast Band
is about Communications and reaching People where
they are without requiring any extra effort on their
part to hear you

1 - Nearly Every Household in the USA has
at least one AM/FM Radio ~ 99.73%

2 - Nearly Every Car and Truck in the USA has
a AM/FM Radio ~ 99.73%

TIS and Alert is about keeping it simple and
Reaching People where they are [.] With no
special Weather Radio required .

Keeping the Most People Safe at the Least Expence.

The same concept applies to puting the USCG's
SF Bay Radar Scan and NOAA Weather Audio
on a UHF TV Channel - Most small Boaters
can have a small 'portable' TV on-board to check
things out without going to the expence of buying
expensive extra equipment.

God {Allah} Bless the People of Richmond, CA
and Keep Them Safe from Harm - Amen ~ RHF
Old July 28th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

Emeryville.- Hide quoted text -

M-Sushi,

Richmond is North of Oakland and they are about
15 Miles apart down the 80/580 Freeway on the
East Side of the SF Bay.

The average Citizen of most US Villages, Towns
and Cities does not need a Weather Radio -and-
an 'effective' TIS and "Alert" Radio Broadcast System
located on the AM/MW Band serves more people.

# 1 - The First thing is Emergency "Alert" Sirens

# 2 - The Second thing is a TIS "Alert" Broadcast

# 3 - The Third thing is a Reverse 911 Telephone System

Don't do # 3 until you have fully implemented # 1 & # 2 [.]

The City of Richmond has # 1 and # 2 and is
trying to keep All it's Citizens Safe from Harm.

And Yes I did detect a 'tone' of Racism in "AI"s
comments -but- one thing he said about most
US Households is true - no batteries in Radios

tis tis tis ~ RHF

Old July 28th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

.
.
. .

In the bay area, 15 miles is a large distance. I hardly consider
Richmond next to Oakland. Geez, you have to drive past Berkeley then
get on 580 to reach Richmond. To be honest, I have no reason to go
there, but have driven through it a few times. There are times when
the Richmond Parkway comes in handy if you are trying to reach the
Richmond bridge, i.e. heading to the north bay.

It's been a while, but you can go through Orinda and eventually reach
the southern tip of RIchmond. I think the Dam Road takes you there.
I've hiked most of those east bay hills at one time or another.
[Generally I'll hike TIlden Park rather than the Richmond hills.]

Old August 2nd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 28, 12:57 am, wrote:

In the bay area, 15 miles is a large distance. I hardly consider
Richmond next to Oakland. Geez, you have to drive past Berkeley then
get on 580 to reach Richmond.

Now, wait a sec - You must be kidding. 15 miles is *next door* in the
Bay Area. People drive/BART/bus 3-6 times that far every day just to
commute. Some come in from more than 100 miles out by train or car.

Richmond is a short hop from my house in *San Lorenzo*, let alone
Oakland.

Bruce Jensen

Old August 2nd 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 2, 12:25 pm, wrote:
On Aug 2, 11:05 am, bpnjensen wrote:

On Jul 28, 12:57 am, wrote:

In the bay area, 15 miles is a large distance. I hardly consider
Richmond next to Oakland. Geez, you have to drive past Berkeley then
get on 580 to reach Richmond.

Now, wait a sec - You must be kidding. 15 miles is *next door* in the
Bay Area. People drive/BART/bus 3-6 times that far every day just to
commute. Some come in from more than 100 miles out by train or car.

Richmond is a short hop from my house in *San Lorenzo*, let alone
Oakland.

Bruce Jensen

In 15 miles, I could cross Saratoga, San Jose, Cupertino, and
Sunnyvale. If I did it right, I could probably put Mountain VIew in
that list.

Touch each of these towns, maybe, since they all almost intersect.
But cross them all? I am doubtful. That would require a somewhat
tortuous route.

Old August 3rd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 28, 12:57 am, wrote:

In the bay area, 15 miles is a large distance. I hardly consider
Richmond next to Oakland. Geez, you have to drive past Berkeley then
get on 580 to reach Richmond.

Now, wait a sec - You must be kidding. 15 miles is *next door* in the
Bay Area. People drive/BART/bus 3-6 times that far every day just to
commute. Some come in from more than 100 miles out by train or car.

Richmond is a short hop from my house in *San Lorenzo*, let alone
Oakland.

Bruce Jensen

In 15 miles, I could cross Saratoga, San Jose, Cupertino, and
Sunnyvale. If I did it right, I could probably put Mountain VIew in
that list.

Touch each of these towns, maybe, since they all almost intersect.
But cross them all? I am doubtful. That would require a somewhat
tortuous route.- Hide quoted text -

BpnJ & M-Sushi,

When I drive down the Hill from Twain Harte to Sonora
to Columbia - It's about 15 Miles one-way - just to go
Shopping : While here in the SF Bay Area 15 Miles
can take you through a lot of places.

However, I would rather Drive 15 Miles on a Country
Road : The be DRIVING 15 MILES on a Buzy City
Street -or- a Crowded Freeway.

The again just think of what a Short Wave has to
'go through' just to get to you . . .

distance is relative to where you are 'at' -and-
where you want to 'go' - in your mind ~ RHF

No kidding. In a couple of days, I'm driving 1,000 miles in about 16
hours. *That's* a long drive...but it will yield great reward for the
effort expended, so it will be a breeze.

BJ
**

Old August 4th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

American Insurgent wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:22 pm, RHF wrote:
[...]

Is there USCG radar on UHF TV?