Old July 27th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Icom 703 For a RX

Bob Miller wrote in
:

It should be on a RX par with the more powerful IC706 series, and
that's a very popular radio. Only drawback for strictly listening is
it has only 100 memories -- maybe that's enough for you, maybe not.

Good point. Tho I usually don't use memories that heavily, since the 703
doesn't have direct keypad entry, I may use them a little more to save
a time. BTW, I'm looking at the original 'non-plus' version, which
I guess also has 100. It's harder to find info on that version.

You might also check to see what filter it comes with for the AM mode.
If it only has the 2.xx khz filter, that will be fine for SSB, but
your AM broadcast stations will sound pinched.

Did they not come stock with a 6x wide/2x narrow configuration? Guess
I'd better look at that further.

bob
k5qwg

Tnx and 73 Bob,
Jackson

Old July 28th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 27, 2:02 pm, Jackson wrote:
Bob Miller wrote :

[...]

Jackson,

I am a Manual Band Scanner so with my Icom IC-R75
Receiver I have set Memories to the Bottom Frequency
of the Shortwave Radio Broadcast Bands that I normally
Listen on :
90 Meters = 3200 kHz
75 Meters = 3900 kHz
60 Meters = 4700 kHz
49 Meters = 5900 kHz
41 Meters = 7100 kHz
31 Meters = 9300 kHz
25 Meters = 11600 kHz
22 Meters = 13500 kHz
19 Meters = 15100 kHz
16 Meters = 17400 kHz
13 Meters = 21400 kHz
11 Meters = 25600 kHz

Note : The Grundig Satellit 800 Radio already has
this Meter Band Memory Set-Up built-in as a feature.

Followed by WWV / WWVH on :
2500 kHz
5000 kHz
10000 kHz
15000 kHz
20000 kHz

So with less that 20 Memories I cover the Shortwave
Bands and get to do what I want Manual Band Scan
a Band - Just to See {Hear} What's Out There . . .

I also have a few Favorites keyed into Memory -and-
When I am trying to catch a specific Broadcaster I
will key it into a Memory and place a Stick Note next
to the Radio to remind me to take a look a few times
just to see if it is there.

every thing is written down on paper -cause-
my 'memories' ain't to good ~ RHF
Old July 28th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:02:39 GMT, Jackson wrote:

Bob Miller wrote in
:

It should be on a RX par with the more powerful IC706 series, and
that's a very popular radio. Only drawback for strictly listening is
it has only 100 memories -- maybe that's enough for you, maybe not.

Good point. Tho I usually don't use memories that heavily, since the 703
doesn't have direct keypad entry, I may use them a little more to save
a time. BTW, I'm looking at the original 'non-plus' version, which
I guess also has 100. It's harder to find info on that version.

You might also check to see what filter it comes with for the AM mode.
If it only has the 2.xx khz filter, that will be fine for SSB, but
your AM broadcast stations will sound pinched.

Did they not come stock with a 6x wide/2x narrow configuration? Guess
I'd better look at that further.

That is probably right on the filtering. You should be able to
download the instruction manual at the Icom web site.

bob

bob
k5qwg

Tnx and 73 Bob,