Old August 6th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default -FYI- Vintage American Electrola AM/FM/ Shortwave Radio. Model# DXC-100

RHF wrote:
-FYI- Vintage "American Electrola" AM/FM/ Shortwave Radio. Model #
DXC-100

Why "FYI" cauae the eBay Auction is Over/Ended/Closed .

AM/MW Band went ot 1710 kHz ? = Vintage ?

Make In The U.S.A. ? = Real Vintage !

Anyone ever own one of these DXC-100s ?

There are three nice Pictures of Radio including the Lable to check-
out. ~ RHF
.
.
. .

I recall Mike Maghakian telling me he had owned one of these. Very
disappointing.

Old August 6th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

RHF wrote:
-FYI- Vintage "American Electrola" AM/FM/ Shortwave Radio. Model #
DXC-100

Why "FYI" cauae the eBay Auction is Over/Ended/Closed .

AM/MW Band went ot 1710 kHz ? = Vintage ?

Make In The U.S.A. ? = Real Vintage !

Anyone ever own one of these DXC-100s ?

There are three nice Pictures of Radio including the Lable to check-
out. ~ RHF
.
.
. .

I recall Mike Maghakian telling me he had owned one of these. Very
disappointing.

And it's Vintage? What kinda drugs are these folk doing?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 7th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

RHF wrote:
-FYI- Vintage "American Electrola" AM/FM/ Shortwave Radio. Model #
DXC-100

Why "FYI" cauae the eBay Auction is Over/Ended/Closed .

AM/MW Band went ot 1710 kHz ? = Vintage ?

Make In The U.S.A. ? = Real Vintage !

Anyone ever own one of these DXC-100s ?

There are three nice Pictures of Radio including the Lable to check-
out. ~ RHF
.
.
. .

I recall Mike Maghakian telling me he had owned one of these. Very
disappointing.

And it's Vintage? What kinda drugs are these folk doing?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Probably some bad Metamucil. "Vintage" is not a word I'd apply to
this rig. Late 70's, early 80's at best. And not a performer.

IIRC, there were a couple of manufacturers that sprang up to produce
a 'high tech' AM-FM-SW table radios about that time. "Digital" was just
on the cusp of becoming a buzz word, and there was a bit of noise about
ease of tuning, direct frequency entry and all that.

But no one put anything into performance.

I've been toying with my Telefunken HR5000 Digital, AM-FM-SW
receiver. Flourescent display, and I've replaced many of the indicator
lamps with LED's.

FM is great. AM and SW way too bandwidth limited for much listening
enjoyment. But it's tight enough that I don't get a lot of IBOC hash
when zeroed in.

SW is also very heavily bandwidth limited, but sensitive enough to
suck in some reasonably deep DX, and selectivity is such that I can
actually work a heavily crowded band with less difficulty than some of
my Halli's, though not quite as tidily as the Drake, AOR or Ten-Tec.

But FM, into a pair of Altec 846B's will rock the house. Not every
thing that came from that early era of "digital" receivers sucks.

Old August 7th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

Probably some bad Metamucil. "Vintage" is not a word I'd apply to
this rig. Late 70's, early 80's at best. And not a performer.

[snip]

It sure looks "vintage" with it's 7 segment red LED display, membrane
touchpad and Love Boat era graphics -- all in a woodgrain box. But Passport
has it "New for 1994".

The Passport review is odd. Listed among the radio's disadvantages are such
potential showstoppers as the crummy membrane keypad, FM stations breaking
into the SW bands, hissy audio, excessive digital whine, single bandwidth,
wildly varying sensitivity from band to band, mediocre dynamic range and
other more nitpicky stuff.

Passport did like the radio's ergonomics, display and footprint. And the
American Electrola will interface with an IBM compatible.

A quote from the review:

"It's about time: an affordable world band radio designed for the way most
normal people listen. Not a portable -- most world band listening is done
at home, not on the road -- and not a techy DX tabletop model that's evolved
from ham gear."

Affordable, in the case of the American Electrola, meant $319.19.

I should say I had no particular interest in the American Electrola. I had
already bought a DX-440 for less than half the AE's price. I liked, and
still like, my DX-440. I even use it at home!

Frank Dresser

Old August 7th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 7, 9:31 am, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

[...]

FD - Thank you for the condensed PWBR Review
and identifying the DOM Year as 1994. ~ RHF

Old August 8th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 7, 9:31 am, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

[...]

I don't DX much anymore, so I find my Yaesu to be largely overkill. My
Degen 1102 does much of the same stuff, and has similar sensitivity.
The Degen is comparable to the DX440, except the 440 has a little bit
finer BFO. I owned a 440 for years, but I gave it away six years ago
or so. I've tested both the Yaesu (FRG-8800) and the 1102 on the same
signals at the same time at my current QTH, and the Yaesu seemed to
just pick up more noise without any discernible improvement in signal.
The Yaesu is now in the closet.

As for the Electrola, it seemed to exist to satisfy the America First
rantings of Harder and other kook domestic SW hosts who wanted an
American made radio to sell on air. It sounds like it was a good idea,
but a bunch of good ole boys didn't have the resources to build a real
radio factory. They should have done what such companies as Apple have
done in the 2000s and play up American DESIGNED, not American BUILT.
The ipod says "Designed in California" on the back. The Chinese tend
to have odd electronics design ideas, such as the infamous 99 minute
sleep timer. Americans want stuff designed by people who understand
American culture and desires. The current tendency is to outsource
everything except top management to China, allowing the Chinese to do
whatever they want as far as design. The Chinese, of course, think
like Chinese, and design with an eye on their home market first. They
can miss the trends in America.

Old August 8th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"American Insurgent" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

As for the Electrola, it seemed to exist to satisfy the America First
rantings of Harder and other kook domestic SW hosts who wanted an
American made radio to sell on air. It sounds like it was a good idea,
but a bunch of good ole boys didn't have the resources to build a real
radio factory.

[snip]

I'm sure Chuck and some others were selling Sangeans in the early 90s. I'm
pretty sure Chuck was also selling a version of one of the Drakes at one
time.

Of course, the Sangeans weren't made in the US and the Drakes weren't cheap
but in either case the buyers got something for their money.

I'm not so sure about the American Electrola.

Frank Dresser

Old August 8th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:
"American Insurgent" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

As for the Electrola, it seemed to exist to satisfy the America First
rantings of Harder and other kook domestic SW hosts who wanted an
American made radio to sell on air. It sounds like it was a good idea,
but a bunch of good ole boys didn't have the resources to build a real
radio factory.

[snip]

I'm sure Chuck and some others were selling Sangeans in the early 90s. I'm
pretty sure Chuck was also selling a version of one of the Drakes at one
time.

Of course, the Sangeans weren't made in the US and the Drakes weren't cheap
but in either case the buyers got something for their money.

I once got my hands on a "People's Radio" the rebadged Drake SW-1.
No, it wasn't cheap. It wasn't pretty. And it wasn't exactly feature
laden, but for program listening, it was a solid radio.

SW-2 was a better buy, albeit more expensive.

Old August 8th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default -FYI- Vintage American Electrola AM/FM/ Shortwave Radio.Model#...

If I remember, I think the Drake radios (maybe they were the Drake SW-1
radios) Chuck Harder was advertising sold for about $244.00.(plus S&H,
of course)
cuhulin

Old August 8th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default PRN-1000 "For The People" Radio - Peopes Radio Network (PRN) - Chuck Harder

On Aug 8, 9:42 am, wrote:
If I remember, I think the Drake radios (maybe they were the Drake SW-1
radios) Chuck Harder was advertising sold for about $244.00.(plus S&H,
of course)
cuhulin

Cuhulin - That would be the PRN-1000 "For The People" Radio ~ RHF