Old August 19th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question for the group...

Time to liven things up.

What *accessory* have you either purchased or built that's yielded the
biggest bang for the buck (or for your hours of labor)?

In my case it's been a Timewave ANC-4, which I've harped on here
before. Most effective weapon against local noise ever. I can't
imagine ever again living in an urban or highly populated area and not
using a unit like this. If it disappoints some folks, it's most likely
because they give up too quickly in the search for the best noise
antenna.

Second place would probably go to my Clearspeech DSP module, though to
tell the truth I don't use it much since getting the ANC-4.

Steve

Old August 19th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Aug 18, 7:41 pm, Steve wrote:
Time to liven things up.

What *accessory* have you either purchased or built that's yielded the
biggest bang for the buck (or for your hours of labor)?

In my case it's been a Timewave ANC-4, which I've harped on here
before. Most effective weapon against local noise ever. I can't
imagine ever again living in an urban or highly populated area and not
using a unit like this. If it disappoints some folks, it's most likely
because they give up too quickly in the search for the best noise
antenna.

Second place would probably go to my Clearspeech DSP module, though to
tell the truth I don't use it much since getting the ANC-4.

Steve

Things That Make For Better Shortwave Listening (SWL)
{ A Short List of Bang-for-your-Buck Items } :

# 1 - 50~100 Feet of Antenna Wire

# 2 - Ground Rod and Wire

# 3 - Coax Cable {Feed-in-Line} and Matching Transformer

Each has greatly improve my Shortwave Radio in that order.

The Experience of Shortwave Listening PRICELESS ! ) ~ RHF
Old August 19th 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 19, 3:22 am, "Burr" wrote:
"RHF"

Things That Make For Better Shortwave Listening (SWL)
{ A Short List of Bang-for-your-Buck Items } :

# 1 - 50~100 Feet of Antenna Wire

# 2 - Ground Rod and Wire

# 3 - Coax Cable {Feed-in-Line} and Matching Transformer

Each has greatly improve my Shortwave Radio in that order.

The Experience of Shortwave Listening PRICELESS ! ) ~ RHF
.
.
. .

I was going to say that but I thought he was just trolling

Burr

I'm happy with a little wire.- Hide quoted text -

I wasn't trolling...I just don't think of an antenna as an accessory.
I really meant any item that's more-or-less incidental but that ended
up making a big difference for folks.

Steve

Old August 19th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 19, 4:45 am, wrote:
On Aug 18, 7:41 pm, Steve wrote:

Time to liven things up.

What *accessory* have you either purchased or built that's yielded the
biggest bang for the buck (or for your hours of labor)?

In my case it's been a Timewave ANC-4, which I've harped on here
before. Most effective weapon against local noise ever. I can't
imagine ever again living in an urban or highly populated area and not
using a unit like this. If it disappoints some folks, it's most likely
because they give up too quickly in the search for the best noise
antenna.

Second place would probably go to my Clearspeech DSP module, though to
tell the truth I don't use it much since getting the ANC-4.

Steve

A long spool of wire and trees to suspend it between would get my
vote - Hide quoted text -

Well, if things like antennas and receivers count as accessories,
sure. I don't think these are accessories for most people, though. In
my own case, I find that shortwave listening is pretty futile without
a receiver, or an antenna.

Old August 19th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A good slingshot (wrist-rocket type).
Fishing reel with 20# line.
1 ounce fishng sinker, the type that will fit inside the pouch of the
slingshot.

ups.com...

Old August 19th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" -

I wasn't trolling...I just don't think of an antenna as an accessory.
I really meant any item that's more-or-less incidental but that ended
up making a big difference for folks.

Steve

Steve, we are into Radios and things that make them work better so yes, a
new antenna that pulls well or maybe even a "Radio", that would be great!!

Burr

Old August 19th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 19:41:41 -0700, Steve wrote:

Time to liven things up.

What *accessory* have you either purchased or built that's yielded the
biggest bang for the buck (or for your hours of labor)?

In my case it's been a Timewave ANC-4, which I've harped on here before.
Most effective weapon against local noise ever. I can't imagine ever
again living in an urban or highly populated area and not using a unit
like this. If it disappoints some folks, it's most likely because they
give up too quickly in the search for the best noise antenna.

Second place would probably go to my Clearspeech DSP module, though to
tell the truth I don't use it much since getting the ANC-4.

Steve

PA0RDT Mini-whip!

--
~/.signature
Old August 19th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:
Time to liven things up.

What *accessory* have you either purchased or built that's yielded the
biggest bang for the buck (or for your hours of labor)?

In my case it's been a Timewave ANC-4, which I've harped on here
before. Most effective weapon against local noise ever. I can't
imagine ever again living in an urban or highly populated area and not
using a unit like this. If it disappoints some folks, it's most likely
because they give up too quickly in the search for the best noise
antenna.

Second place would probably go to my Clearspeech DSP module, though to
tell the truth I don't use it much since getting the ANC-4.

Steve

Yo Steve. i feel my best buy was a pair of Wellbrooke loops. both

the 330S, and the 1530+. great loops, work terrific at my qth. as

other-wise, accessory here, a Palstar- MW550P. MW and LW tuner/preamp.

in line with the alpha-delta DX-Altra. when the noise is low it

really works for me.

GOOD DX!
Drifter...
Old August 20th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
Steve wrote:
Time to liven things up.

What *accessory* have you either purchased or built that's yielded the
biggest bang for the buck (or for your hours of labor)?

A 1) Cassette Recorder, 2) A bunch of C-120 tapes, and 3) a digital
timer.

Mark Zenier