Old August 25th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FRG 100

I am considering buying one - any suggestions as to what would be a
reasonable second-hand price please?

Thanks

Mike

Old August 25th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
I am considering buying one - any suggestions as to what would be a
reasonable second-hand price please?

Thanks

Mike

E-Bay shows two FRG-100's one sold for $299.99, the other is listed as Buy
It Now for $300.00 but current bid is $52.11 -- reserve not met

Lamont

Old August 26th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver

MT,

The Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver lacks a
Numeric Key Pad {there is a Non OEM Option}

Some do not rate it's perfromance as good as other
Shortwave Receivers made during the 1990s.

Note - The newer "B" Model is said to be a little
better than the older versions.

-Info- Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/2786.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal.../2786spec.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...r/2786ops.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...r/2786rear.jpg
http://www.dxing.com/rx/frg7.htm
-hosted by- Universal-Radio.Com / DXing.Com / RFfun.Com
SOLD = http://www.universal-radio.com/used/sold090.html

eHAM Reviews of the Yaesu FRG-100B Receiver
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/476
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/476?page=2

ABOUT - The Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Yaesu_FRG-100

Read the Monitoring Times Magazine article on
the Yaesu FRG100 Improvements and Keypad*
-Issue- FEB 94

Read the Radio Netherlands Review of the
Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver
http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-yaesufrg100.htm
-hosted by- The Medium Wave Circle

Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/frg-100/

Search eBay for Yaesu FRG-100 Shortwave Receiver
SEARCH FRG-100 = http://tinyurl.com/2nwm7x

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old August 30th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 29, 10:29 pm, BDK wrote:
In article , says...

"dxAce" wrote in message

Jackson wrote:

"Mike Terry" wrote in news:i_Odnb-5r-
:

I am considering buying one - any suggestions as to what would be a
reasonable second-hand price please?

I've seen a handful listed recently on QTH.COM in the $300-350 range.

At around that price, or just a wee bit more, a Drake R8 can be had these
days.

Much rather have the used R8 if it was in good shape. Even better, spend a
bit more and get a new R75.

Michael

Either of them are much better than the FRG-100B.

BDK- Hide quoted text -

I had an FRG-100"B"for awhile, and its main problem IMO was that the
base response in the audio was strong, and the treble weak. This made
even clear stations sound quite muddy, and harder stations were nearly
impossible. An external speaker helped, but not much. There was a
tech fix for this, but I never attempted it.

Also the filters left a bit to be desired, especially when the audio
was already poor.

Otherwise, it was fairly nice receiver, easy to use, but as others
have pointed out, no keypad. Changing Freqs was not hard, however.
It was certainly sensitive and selective enough, and seemed to have no
particular trouble with intermod products or overloading from strong
local stations (with which I am plagued).

I have enjoyed the R75 much more, even though it has taken the Kiwa
mods to bring it up to a reasonble par.

Bruce Jensen

Old August 30th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
says...
On Aug 29, 10:29 pm, BDK wrote:
In article , says...

"dxAce" wrote in message

Jackson wrote:

[...]

That mod was a huge improvement. I did one, but I can't remember the
procedure. I don't think it was hard to do.

Also the filters left a bit to be desired, especially when the audio
was already poor.

Yeah, the stock filters in every one of Yaesu's FRG's has been it's weak
point. My 8800 was vastly improved with a filter swap. SSB was semi
useless with the stock one. It was very poor for RTTY/FAX too, but nice
with the new filter. I sold it soon after I bought my NRD-515, and the
guy who bought it still has it. Other than locking up once in a while,
it's been totally trouble free since I bought it in 1986.

Otherwise, it was fairly nice receiver, easy to use, but as others
have pointed out, no keypad. Changing Freqs was not hard, however.
It was certainly sensitive and selective enough, and seemed to have no
particular trouble with intermod products or overloading from strong
local stations (with which I am plagued).

I used to have problems with a nearby country station that was coupling
itself to the high tension wires that went past it, and pass across the
street from me. Without any antenna connected, I had S9 signals and if I
walked over to the radio, as soon as I moved my finger towards the SO-
239 on it, the meter would slam over to the peg. Every receiver I had
either had the country music twanging away, or a general hash from 5MHZ
down. When the station finally, after at least a dozen calls from me
alone, redid the grounding of their antennas, the signal level dropped
way down, to the point it could just barely be heard without an antenna.
Only took about 4 years to fix it. I had AMBC killers on every antenna
and they helped, but didn't cure it.

I have enjoyed the R75 much more, even though it has taken the Kiwa
mods to bring it up to a reasonble par.

I got the KIWA "ultimate rejection" filter for my NRD-525, it was a
great improvement for $25 bucks. I wasn't thrilled with the lousy double
stick tape that came with it though. I had my own anyway.

BDK

Bruce Jensen

Old September 1st 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 31, 10:23 pm, Eric F. Richards wrote:
BDK wrote:
In article , says...

Much rather have the used R8 if it was in good shape. Even better, spend a
bit more and get a new R75.

Michael

Either of them are much better than the FRG-100B.

BDK

I can't speak to the R8, but the FRG-100 was a better radio than the
R75, having owned both. The Frog was a lot less flashy, somewhat less
convenient to move from frequency A to frequency B in a hurry, and
chuffed terribly, but the basic performance was quite good.

Once you got past all the bells and whistles on the R75, there was no
performance there.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940

Not sure what you mean by that exactly - but dumping the FRG100 for my
R75 was a good decision for me. The Icom simply bags me more
stations. Plenty of performance under what can only be termed
obnoxious RFI conditions.

Bruce Jensen

Old September 1st 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

Not sure what you mean by that exactly - but dumping the FRG100 for my
R75 was a good decision for me. The Icom simply bags me more
stations. Plenty of performance under what can only be termed
obnoxious RFI conditions.

Bruce Jensen

I think I've documented my experiences here to exhaustion, here, but
just in case you need a recap:

- poor ultimate rejection
- low dynamic range
- creaky AGC that works... if you have the 10 minutes to play with it

Sensitivity was never an issue... it picked up oddball stations
hundreds of places on the dial below 10 MHz.

If you enjoy it, well, good for you. All I know is it is the one
radio I have absolutely no regrets parting with.

....oh, it did have a very smooth tuning knob.