Old August 29th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ibiquity's "Gag Order" on engineers

"Ibiquity's "Gag Order" on engineers"

This was documented in another thread. I've encountered this before
in my career. Usually - it was to protect some "golden boy" - maybe
the boss's nephew or something. Anybody daring to demonstrate that
golden boy was incompetant was ushered out the door in short order.
Or - when golden boy inevitably goofed up - the one who pointed out
his mistakes was deemed the one to blame.

Other times, a gag order is because there is a lot of money to be made
- by somebody powerful. Everybody knows the project will fail, but
they are told to keep quiet until somebody has cashed in their stock
options and left. I have heard of cases where physical harm was
implied to anybody who spoke out too soon.

HD radio has all the earmarks of the second scenario. Since there was
a gag order - you can bet there are technical issues we haven't even
heard about yet. Ibiquity - you can stick a fork in them, they are
DONE. At some point, the people in the company with the most to gain
financially are going to sell their stock and retire somewhere exotic,
out of reach of US law. Their legacy? Broadcast bands in shambles,
radio manufacturers with warehouses full of unsold HD radios, stations
with an orphan system that is unsupported. Listeners with buzzing in
their ears. But - it will have made a few people very rich.
Shouldn't we all be happy about that?!

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....c,79682.0.html

Old August 29th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

IBOCcrock wrote:
"Ibiquity's "Gag Order" on engineers"

This was documented in another thread. I've encountered this before
in my career. Usually - it was to protect some "golden boy" - maybe
the boss's nephew or something. Anybody daring to demonstrate that
golden boy was incompetant was ushered out the door in short order.
Or - when golden boy inevitably goofed up - the one who pointed out
his mistakes was deemed the one to blame.

Other times, a gag order is because there is a lot of money to be made
- by somebody powerful. Everybody knows the project will fail, but
they are told to keep quiet until somebody has cashed in their stock
options and left. I have heard of cases where physical harm was
implied to anybody who spoke out too soon.

Now THAT just smacks of Enron. C'mon....

Old August 29th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 29, 12:02 pm, D Peter Maus wrote:
IBOCcrock wrote:
[...]

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....,79682.0.html- Hide quoted text -

Sure does - don't be surprised ! Look who's running the show at
iNiquity !

Old August 29th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 29, 11:30 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
[...]

Well, here are the "other" technical issues:

HD/IBOC Spectral-Regrowth and Other Issues

"NPR story on HD radio startup"

"Problems with the system that pervade the entire HD/IBOC data and
codec from beginning to end, all the way to the signal on the air
persist. The codec, by today's standards, is grossly inferior on FM
and literally unspeakable on AM (gee, I had no idea). Since they're
hardwired into the receivers, they won't be changed anytime soon, if
ever."

"But it goes beyond that. There were bad choices of network layer such
that reliability is compromised. The code used in exciters has a
severe memory leak, so the exciters crash routinely. The receivers can
be locked up solid by malformed packets, requiring a power cycle to
restore operation. The list goes on and on and on."

"Will any of this get fixed? Probably not, since all the money right
now is going to promotion, not to technical bug fixes. This is a
system that has been in development for a decade and a half, and it
still has problems from beginning to end that range from audio
encoding, through the transport layers, to the encoding, and now, with
the spectral regrowth problems, to the broadcast bands themselves; you
know...that which is supposed to be serving the public. I would love
to be implementing digital radio. But this is garbage."

-- John Higdon +1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Old September 1st 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

An anti-HD site is probably less authoritative than the engineering
department down the hall from me.

Those guys? They're probably still trying to put together their Erector
Set.

The engineers who maintain KSCA (#1 in LA), KLVE (#3 and #2 in 25-54),
KRCD/KRCV (#6 25-54) and KTNQ as well as the 12 station Recuerdo network and
the 30 station Piolin en la Mañana network are as good as any I have worked
with anywhere... it's a 7-person engineering staff with broadcast experience
approaching 200 total years.

Idiots Broadcasting On Crack (IBOC)

Old September 1st 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Frackelton Gleason, the pervert who still poses as 'Eduardo', wrote:

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, you've pretty well demonstrated that just about anything
would be more authoritative than the engineering dept. down the hall
from you.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I am a C++ softare engineer, and Dept. of Defense
contractor, working on the next generation of Littorial Combat ships
and we have a group of about 50 highly-qualified software end systems
engineers. Anything else ?

And how many years of radio broadcast experience? I see about zero
relevance.

Zero? That would be the number of radio stations you've axually owned.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know you claim to have owned a bunch. You also claim to be
Hispanic.

LMFAO

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 1st 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, you've pretty well demonstrated that just about anything
would be more authoritative than the engineering dept. down the hall
from you.- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I am a C++ softare engineer, and Dept. of Defense
contractor, working on the next generation of Littorial Combat ships
and we have a group of about 50 highly-qualified software end systems
engineers. Anything else ?

And how many years of radio broadcast experience? I see about zero
relevance.

Zero? That would be the number of radio stations you've axually owned.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know you claim to have owned a bunch.

And I did... 12 on the air, and permits for nearly a dozen more.

Which you can verify by checking with noted AM Dxers of the time, some of
whom actually visitied my stations like John Hogerheid of Michigan, Larry
Godwin, now of Montana and then of West Texas and an IRCA board member. Or
Kermit Geary, of PA, who was one of many DXers who verified reception of
HRCM1 or HCFV1 when I put them on split frequencies to conduct DX tests
(which were published in the bulletins of the IRCA and NRC). Or John
Callarman, then of Mt. Vernon, IL, and now a respected Mexican DX expert in
the NRC. Or Ben Dangerfield of PA who also DXed and verified both of those
AMs. Or Larry Cervone, not a DXer, but then head of Gates Radio, and later
BE, now retired in Quincy, IL. Or Fabricio Cifuentes, then an announcer of
HCRM1 and now an announcer on various Spanish stations in Atlanta, GA.... if
you check these out, I can give you a few hundred more, starting with the
present mayor of Guaquil, Jaime Nebot Velasco, my partner in one station. Or
Edward Seaton, now President of Seaton Newspapers, Manhattan, KS, who was a
Peace Corps volunteer in Ecuador and witness my first few stations go on the
air as a family friend....

You also claim to be
Hispanic.

Old September 1st 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
[...]

None were in your name... get over it!

Old September 1st 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David "I checked a box on the Census Form and now I can pose as 'Eduardo',

"IBOCcrock" wrote in message
[...]

Most of us spell it "Guayaquil", however, you fake Hispanics might spell it
differently.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Don't do business with the Huntington Investment Company.

Old September 1st 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

[...]

In the US, less than 100 of the stations that are really sole
proprietorships (out of thousands) are licensed in an individual's name...
all the rest are licensed to corporations that are totally owned by one
person or a person and his or her family (community property, etc.). Nobody
but you would expect someone to be such a fool as to own a license directly,
exposing the individual to personal responsibility that could be shielded
via incorporating.