Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 14th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AM is dead thanks to iBiquity and the HD Radio Alliance!

WOR 710 turned on their HD/IBOC tonight and when its skywave skips
into Maryland WLW is unlistenable. WOR completely obliterates WGN 720.
I would like to commend iBiquity and the HD Radio Alliance for the
desturuction of AM, all for the benefit of a few thousand local
listeners, if they can even pick up the HD/IBOC signals:

Narkspud wrote:

"Here in OC, I found two AM HD signals on the air at 12:15 AM: Our own
KFWB (980, Los Angeles) and KFBK (1530, Sacramento). KFWB is always
reliable during the day hereabouts, and has a non-directional 5,000-
watt signal. KFBK is a 50,000-watt north-south directional, about 400
miles north of here. Now the bad news: no lock on either one for more
than a second or two, although the analog signals sounded fine. And
this time I tried driving around a bit. I got very little other than a
flashing HD indicator. KFWB's sidebands obliterated 970 and 990, and
KFBK'S were doing significant damage to an unidentified distant signal
on 1520 that should have been listenable. This ain't looking too good.
See ya tomorrow night."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=906379

Boycott HD Radio!