Old September 24th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio means Half Dead radio

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
I like this response:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having the balls to challenge Ibiquity and the NAB.
They are doing serious damage to our once great industry.

Bring broadcasters back to broadcasting otherwise you may as well
sign the stations off.

September 21, 2007 3:04 PM

Hmmmmm...

That's IF the broadcasters want to stick exclusively with broadcasting, at
least free broadcasting. Consider that the broadcasters have spent
millions
on IBOC radio interference transmitter equipment and only a pittance on HD
radio content. And they've spent millions more on advertising HD radio
before adaquate mass market radios were available.

The investment in equipment in the top markets is minimal. As I mentioned,
in LA we spent 10 times as much on the new studio for one morning show as
the HD gear for all 5 of our signals.

The principal objective of HD for us is to put out a digital FM signal; in
LA it is very much less susceptable to multipath. HD2 is a side benefit, but
not critical at this time.

There was no expenditure on ad time by the HD Alliance. It is all based on
the value of time on the Alliance stations themselves.

Old September 24th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Roadie" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007. The ones out
there still bite big time, and the first generation of really good ones will
come sometime in mid-2008.

Old September 24th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 24, 12:11 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007. The ones out
there still bite big time, and the first generation of really good ones will
come sometime in mid-2008.

Speculative comments will either be proven or disproven by the sales
record tallied 120 days after the christmas rush. As of right now we
can guess about the volume of HD radio sales volume. Even more
important than the number of people buying hardware will be the number
of people who switch some of their listening time to HD channels. My
guess is that will take even longer for listening habits to change.

I think that mid-summer 2008 will be the earliest that any meaningful
HD listening statistics will be available.

Old September 24th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

IBOCcrock wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:07 am, Roadie wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:33 pm, Telamon

wrote:
Interesting changes in HD marketing afoot.
http://gormanmediablog.blogspot.com/2007/09/halif-dead-radio.html
--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I don't particularly like QVC or ShopNBC because their merchandise is
mostly low-class stuff like NeverSharp knives, George Foreman Grills,
Cubic Zirconia rings, etc. They rely on high-sizzle merchandising
including overstated MSRP's that are cut by absurd discounts. Not
much has really changed in that industry from when Ron Popeil was
first marketing Veg-O-Matics.

However, a lot of people buy stuff from venues like that so think of
it as just another successful distribution channel like Overstock.Com,
Amazon.Com, etc.

Amazon.com, as with Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, and Circuit City
have all been miserable failures for HD Radio. Jerry Del Colliano made
the point that even if people buy HD radios, the radios do not work as
advertised and will be returned promptly.

That's a pretty good point. The preponderance of consumers will not
take a second chance after a bad experience.

Look at David, himself...returning his XM rig because of reception
problems in areas where there are XM listeners experiencing no
difficulties. Having been offered an opportunity to try a second radio,
he declined.

The first batch of HD radios were pretty poor. Those appealing to
innovators and early adoptors, which are crucial to creating the pilot
stream of retail and the buzz on the street. If their experiences were
not good, they'll be off to something else before they try a second HD
radio, and the buzz that drives the mainstream adoption will not develop.

That's not a great road sign for HD's future.

Old September 24th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 24, 7:07 am, Roadie wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:33 pm, Telamon

wrote:
Interesting changes in HD marketing afoot.

http://gormanmediablog.blogspot.com/2007/09/halif-dead-radio.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I don't particularly like QVC or ShopNBC because their merchandise is
mostly low-class stuff like NeverSharp knives, George Foreman Grills,
Cubic Zirconia rings, etc. They rely on high-sizzle merchandising
including overstated MSRP's that are cut by absurd discounts. Not
much has really changed in that industry from when Ron Popeil was
first marketing Veg-O-Matics.

However, a lot of people buy stuff from venues like that so think of
it as just another successful distribution channel like Overstock.Com,
Amazon.Com, etc.

"Stuff" is Good and for the Consumer that's : Got To Have It !
There should be : www.Buy-Stuff.Com

~ RHF

Old September 24th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It's not like I check the shelves in the stores around here for new
radios, because I dont, I know they are cheap plastic junk.QVC channel
is in HD now? I haven't clicked on that channel in over five years.
Those QVC people,about ten percent of the money they gyp people out of,
that ten percent goes to the democrats.I wouldn't ever buy anything from
QVC.
cuhulin

Old September 25th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
I like this response:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for having the balls to challenge Ibiquity and the NAB.
They are doing serious damage to our once great industry.

Bring broadcasters back to broadcasting otherwise you may as well
sign the stations off.

September 21, 2007 3:04 PM

Hmmmmm...

That's IF the broadcasters want to stick exclusively with broadcasting, at
least free broadcasting. Consider that the broadcasters have spent millions
on IBOC radio interference transmitter equipment and only a pittance on HD
radio content. And they've spent millions more on advertising HD radio
before adaquate mass market radios were available.

HD radio might not have been designed to fail, but it sure doesn't look like
the smart guys have thought out the elements of success, either.

But now we have a FCC decision which will mark the latest first start date
in which very important things got fixed. Inexpensive low power consumption
chips are in the pipeline and I'll bet these new, improved chips are
subscription radio ready.

I keep looking for signs other then initial announcements for a low cost
chip or low cost chip sets and I don't find anything.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 25th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have no idea who the self-proclaimed expert Jerry D.C. is, but his
and other claims about poor sales and high returns of HD radios are
unsupportable now. Such claims will either be verified or dismissed
in the next 9 months which includes the christmas selling season.

I don't think many receivers will be sold at Christmas, 2007. The ones out
there still bite big time, and the first generation of really good ones will
come sometime in mid-2008.

Not according to iBiquity, which maintains that the BA Receptor was
the best HD AM portable achievable.

Old September 25th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 24, 12:10 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Eric F. Richards" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's not what the major stations in the LA market reporting. You
might want to check your facts again.

The principal objective of HD for us is to put out a digital FM signal; in
LA it is very much less susceptable to multipath. HD2 is a side benefit, but
not critical at this time.

There was no expenditure on ad time by the HD Alliance. It is all based on
the value of time on the Alliance stations themselves.- Hide quoted text -

This is incorrect. The HD Alliance reports that a very large amount of
money was used to purchase ad time.