Old September 30th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio won't just go away.

David Eduardo wrote:

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
. And now, twice, in front of the group, he's promised to get his engineers
out here to take signal strength measurements at my location to determine
why I can't hear a local 50kw station, but immediately dropped all
conversation about it.

And that, whille none of your business, is due to the fact that Paul Easter,
an talented and wonderful engineer, moved to a corporate position at Salem,
and we are short handed in the middle of two transmitter moves.

To date the only one who's bothered to investigate my reception issues,
is me.

Good for you.

. And some blatant inconsistencies in his claims about agencies/sales.

Your experiences of a decade or more ago have little to do with the current
situation, where interactive media is far more attractive to advertising
agencies than radio because there are more creative dollars to be made
there.

And his experience. These things make me suspect that, though, he's still
the David we've all come to know and love, that he's getting low on the
calm, educational patience he's showed a year ago, and is now running out
of both patience, and appreciation of the intercourse.

I'm out of patience with the people who insist that there is listening to
distant skywave signals, when there is no such thing documented and with
those who think AM is not on a horrible decline, with its main and majority
format, news talk, moving to FM. And I'm out of patience with you, who think
a radio station in 2007 can change the demos on a buy because he once saw a
station changed on a buy. I spoke with the head or our naitonal rep about
changing demos on a campaign, and she simply laughed.

Yeah! She was laughing at you. Many do.

Old September 30th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 2:35 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:

I'm out of patience with the people who insist that there is listening to
distant skywave signals,

The only thing you're out of is credibility.

Old September 30th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 1:38 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

The only thing on my
website that has changed in the last 4 years is the addition of a bunch
of old Radex, Whites and Stevenson's magazines. The bio / history is
essentially unchanged from when I cut and pasted it from my resume, about
year 2000. It's even got the same spelling errors.

Actually, Steve pointed out that wasn't true about a year ago.

Steve is probably certifiably crazy. I take anything he says as being
automatically untrue;

This tells me that I must have a pretty good grip on reality.

Your knowledge of radio sales is dated, stilted and inaccurate;

I was wondering when that would finally come out.

At least my knowledge is based on 45 years of active experience.

Mine on 48. And the last agency I visited was Friday, and its accounts
include McDonalds, among others.

Have a good evening, David. You've proven, by your own words, your own
obfuscations that just about everything said by Steve is true.

And to me, you're just another arrogant S.O.B who can't look beyond his
office to realize that everyone around him is thinking the same thing:

No, only the nutjobs like dxAss and Telamon and Steve refuse to realize how
radio is used today, and the changes the industry has to make to survive...
and that said survival will likely not include AM in the long run.

I realize that you use radio as a flimsy and ultimately temporary
barrier to the growth of internet radio. Period. You're the one living
in the past, Tardo.

The fact is, I speak with real listeners every week,

Yes, but the listeners in your head don't count.

and have a pretty good
idea what they want today, based on tens of thousands of yearly interviews.
Here, there are some who seem to have an intimate relationship with their
TenTec and have no idea what real people do, and how stations today have to
serve them.

If you believe this, you wouldn't waste your time here. Period.

Old September 30th 07, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 1:43 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

David Eduardo wrote:

You can't have it both ways, David. You can't insist that Radio is
healthier than ever, and then claim your worry is about the success of
terrestrial radio against alternatives.

But I do not claim that. Radio is in slow revenue growth mode, and this year
may be no-growth (although due to automotive and mortgage / housing crisis
situations) so it is critical to keep the existing audience base, which the
PPPM shows to be a 96% reach of all 6+ Americans.

No, radio isn't in slow growth mode. You're just in talk trash mode.

You can't have it both ways, David. You can't claim that there are too
many signals to be profitable, and then solve the problem with more
options.

It is rational to offer more formats on the good facilities via HD2,
although the losers will be the rimshots and AMs. This will allow the
listeners to pick free, terrestrial radio with more options.

It's the same reason stores open branches... when I have to drive 15 miles
to Bed Bath and Beyond, I pick the Linens and Things that is 3 miles away,
but if there is a new BBB at equal distance, I will remain loyal to that
chain. The total market sales of BBB will be divided, but they keep my
dollars...

Good luck stopping the internet, Don Quixote.

Old September 30th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 1:47 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

I think he believes his own noise and no he can't provide the link
because what he claims doesn't exist. At least not yet.

The info provided to iBiquity's owners is not public, so I am not giving you
a link. You will simply have to hold your water until Samsung ships low
power, lower cost chips in 2008.

Most lies have a kernel of truth in them so they are believable. All I
know is every time a take a poke at what he posts the stick goes right
through the one layer of the "story" he tells. All that he posts seem
very illusionary in nature.

Nothing is like your insistence that listeners will put up with a bad AM
signal and listen, despite radio audience measurements that are universally
accepted showing no such thing occurs.

And of course, if what you say is true, listeners would be perfectly
content listening to static so long as they can heard it in HD
quality.

Old September 30th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 1:51 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

In article ,
David wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:27:54 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

I suppose it was my idea to discontinue the R8B? There was not enough
market, you fool.

I think what happened was that they pretty much sold one to everybody
who wanted one over the series' extremely long run.

Probably not the case. My guess is the profit margin was to thin and
they wanted to spend their time on more profitable product. There are
many older technology type components that would continue to get more
expensive with time and they would need to redesign it just to keep
costs down. I noticed the price on a R8B kept going up the last few
years they made it. With the Asian competition and the engineering hours
needed probably tipped the scales in favor of dropping it. Drake would
probably be asking at $2K to $2.5K for an R8B if they were still making
it today.

Or, the simple answer: there is a huge decline in the number of SW stations,
and also in SW listeners. Domestic SW, the nicest DX, is all but
disappearing and the quality broadcasters are reducing schedules or
suspending service.- Hide quoted text -

Don't worry Tardo. Wimax is going to fix your sorry ass for good. Lol.

Old September 30th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 2:35 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:

When the responses I get are idiotic, I react as one does to an idiot.

Umm....no, you react as an idiot.

Old September 30th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 2:41 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Eric F. Richards" wrote in messagenews:dhguf3d0v58pt6igd718rd1l644plch66b@4ax .com...

Steve wrote:

Sorry Tardo, but you'll never stop the internet or internet radio.

He (or those who think like him) can destroy conventional radio, and
where it is useful is in times of emergency, such as 9/11 or when a
major river-crossing bridge suddenly ceases to exist.

And an FM can not provide the needed service in the Minneapolis case? Or did
the bridge extend across the entire Great Plains.

WWL was one of the really lucky stations, as it had been hardened. Nearly
nowhere on the Gulf Coast or FL is there a station that sould survive what
WWL went through. The first to go in a hurricane are usually AMs, as the
sites tend to be low and damp. FMs with backups on buildings are the most
robust today. I have been through a bunch of big hurricanes while in PR, and
the AMs never stayed on.... the FMs did.

For a commuter, all that chit-chat between the musical pieces or the
news stories is very useful.

And an FM can not do that?

FMs are highly viable still; with few exceptions, AMs are not.

Wimax will take care of that.

Old September 30th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 3:04 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"RHF" wrote in message

ups.com...

Since most 'folks' here are over 50 or around 50 :

No Body Here Listens To You - d'Eduardo ! ~ RHF

You just pointed out something that the engineer who gave a radio club a
tour a few years ago mentioned.... there are no young DXers any more.

That's right. They're all listening to internet radio now.

I'm sure some of it is that there is no appeal of AM at all to young people,
whether they be teens or young adults, so they would not discover AM skip in
any case, But there has to be more to this than just what is on the radio.

A parallel would be the number of people who in the mid to late 80's into
the 90's built their own computers. There were parts places all over,
magazines filled with ads for cases and fans.... now there is nearly
nothing.

Kinda like people who who are wanting to stick with out-of-date
broadcast technologies, like IBOC.

Old September 30th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 30, 3:16 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

No, only the nutjobs like dxAss and Telamon and Steve refuse to realize
how
radio is used today, and the changes the industry has to make to
survive...
and that said survival will likely not include AM in the long run.

Oh I see I'm a nut job and not a listener. You don't get much right do
you. How do you expect to survive when you are so confused.

You are not a "typical" listener by any means. The term "broad" in
broadcasting is there for a reason, and radio can not nor has it ever been
able to serve very tiny niche listener groups.

But I think you are off the deep end because of your denial of ratings,
inability to see that if there is no listening of conseuence beyond a
certain signal intensity, there must be a truth there, and your idea that
knowing wave and propagation theory is somehow necessary to understanding
that listeners don't tune to weak signals.

The fact is, I speak with real listeners every week, and have a pretty
good
idea what they want today, based on tens of thousands of yearly
interviews.
Here, there are some who seem to have an intimate relationship with their
TenTec and have no idea what real people do, and how stations today have
serve them.

You seem to have a real problem with the fact that I have an RX340.
Sounds like jealousy to me.

No, I think anything over the price of a Drake or AOR is the equivalent of
buying a Bentley. Nice if you can afford it, but not worth the extra $200 k
over a BMW or Benz. I am not saying it is a waste of money if you are very
rich, but I sure would not buy one.

My real point is that even in the DX community such a radio is rare. Among
listeners to commercial stations, so rare as to be freaky.

And I'm not a real listener. Funny man.

No, you are not. You are way to into the subject, albeit woefully
misinformed, to be a "real" listener. Real listeners seldom remember call
letters (unless they are over 50) and round dial positions and don't know
station locations or slogans half the time. Radio is an accompanyment to
other activities, and used like a utility.

Well Bozo. I am a listener and I know what I want and it's not a serving
of your BS.

You might as well give up, as you are not getting what you want from
terrestrial radio. I'm surprised you even engage in off air reception,
anyway.

Ratings wise, radio geeks are like contest pigs... very noisy, but they
contribute nothing to ratings or our livelihood.

The only thing that would demonstrate that anyone in this group is off
the deep end is their having even the slightest inclination to believe
you.