RadioBanter

-   -   HD radio won't just go away. (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125333-hd-radio-wont-just-go-away.html)

Rfburns September 25th 07 02:04 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

Despite the fact that both the AM and FM versions of HD radio are a
good example of out-of -control technology that nobody really wants,
the FCC has mandated that all broadcasting will be digital.
Therefore, I see no turning back regardless of what the consumer does
or doesn't want or understand. The only way out of this that I see is
that some entity with deep pockets poses a legal challenge to the FCC
mandate.

This really isn't a consumer issue but rather a big business/
government deal and will take legal action to reverse and I'm not sure
it can be. Consumers don't count, surveys don't count and the number
of radios sold doesn't mean anything. This is the sad truth.

Since the FCC violated its own rules on radio interference and since
it's in bed with iBiquity and no other systems were even considered it
will be a very difficult challenge. Remember all this when it comes
time to vote and consider that we are no longer represented by our
elected officials but, rather, we are being controlled by them.

The FCC's decision of letting the market decide was just their way of
begining a full scale deployment. It's an incremental deployment. The
next step will be increasing the power levels for the transmitted
digital component and ibiquity is lobbying heavily for that now.
Watch and see.

Steve September 25th 07 03:06 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 25, 9:04 am, Rfburns wrote:
[...]

Oh it will go away all right, but not until it has insured, once and
for all, that MW/AM broadcasting will never be commercially viable.

IBOCcrock September 25th 07 03:45 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

[...]

Are you obsessive-compulsive - here we go again! It is up to consumers
to determine the fate of HD Radio - period:

"4/4/07 - FCC: Market to Decide Fate of HD Radio"

http://www.diymedia.net/archive/0407.htm

There is zero consumer interest in HD Radio - period:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/200...ains-flat.html

There are indications that HD Radio is failing and will disappear -
period:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/200...y-be-near.html

Jesus-****ing-Christ - enough already!

David September 26th 07 03:01 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 06:04:01 -0700, Rfburns
wrote:

[...]

Digital makes conditional access possible. It is the first step to
all pay radio.

SFTV_troy September 29th 07 02:21 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

Rfburns wrote:
Despite the fact that both the AM and FM versions of HD radio are a
good example of out-of -control technology that nobody really wants,
the FCC has mandated that all broadcasting will be digital.
Therefore, I see no turning back regardless of what the consumer does
or doesn't want or understand.

Switching to digital just makes sense. Digital makes better use of
the limited space available. With digital the FM band would
effectively triple or even quadruple the number of channels on the
dial. (Alternatively Classical FM stations could boost the sound from
2 channel stereo to 5.1 surround.)

That's good for the consumer, and something I'd like to see happen.

As for AM... well to be honest, I don't even care. AM is largely
ignored by myself, since there's little there worth hearing. (Rush
Limbaugh? Michael Medved? Some Liberal Nutjob? Pu-leeze. Not
thanks.) But as long as I'm upgrading my FM to digital, we might as
well bring AM along for the ride, too.

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times more programs to
choose from.

Steve September 29th 07 02:50 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 29, 9:21 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times more programs to
choose from.

You're making the most elementary of mistakes here. More channels does
not equal more or better programming options.

SFTV_troy September 29th 07 05:56 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 29, 8:50 am, Steve wrote:
On Sep 29, 9:21 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times
more programs to choose from.

You're making the most elementary of mistakes here. More channels does
not equal more...

Yes it does. Each station gets split into 3 or even 4 sub-channels.
For example one of my local stations has split into (1) Christian
talk/ education programs (as they've done for the last 50 years). (2)
An all-music channel. (3) Another all-music channel, but teen-
oriented. ----- Thus giving more choice to the listener, in the same
way XM Radio has more channels and more choices.

or better programming options.

True. It might be the same old crap. But then neither does sticking
with the old Analog standard improve anything. Better to (a) upgrade
to digital and hope for more variety/ better programming, than to (b)
Do nothing and keep the current crapfest.

Steve September 29th 07 06:08 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 29, 12:56 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:50 am, Steve wrote:

On Sep 29, 9:21 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times
more programs to choose from.

You're making the most elementary of mistakes here. More channels does
not equal more...

Yes it does. Each station gets split into 3 or even 4 sub-channels.
For example one of my local stations has split into (1) Christian
talk/ education programs (as they've done for the last 50 years). (2)
An all-music channel. (3) Another all-music channel, but teen-
oriented. ----- Thus giving more choice to the listener, in the same
way XM Radio has more channels and more choices.

or better programming options.

Yes, on channel 1 you can hear the informercial about colloidal
silver, on channel 2 you have some ginseng supplement, on channel
three the amazing hgh and on channel four a guide to investing in
gold.

True. It might be the same old crap. But then neither does sticking
with the old Analog standard improve anything.

True, but better programming would improve a lot. And it wouldn't
require new technology. And it wouldn't destroy MW. And you should be
able to hear it from more than ten blocks away.

Better to (a) upgrade
to digital and hope for more variety/ better programming, than to (b)
Do nothing and keep the current crapfest.

No one's saying do nothing. A lot of folks are just saying "don't do
something that's only going to make the situation worse."

Telamon September 29th 07 08:46 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

In article om,
SFTV_troy wrote:

Rfburns wrote:
Despite the fact that both the AM and FM versions of HD radio are a
good example of out-of -control technology that nobody really wants,
the FCC has mandated that all broadcasting will be digital.
Therefore, I see no turning back regardless of what the consumer does
or doesn't want or understand.

Switching to digital just makes sense.

Really? And just how does that make sense?

Digital makes better use of the limited space available.

How does a digital mode do that?

With digital the FM band would effectively triple or even quadruple
the number of channels on the dial. (Alternatively Classical FM
stations could boost the sound from 2 channel stereo to 5.1
surround.)

Do you understand the consequences of what you propose? Apparently you
do not.

That's good for the consumer, and something I'd like to see happen.

How do you know that going to a digital mode of transmission would be
good for the consumer? You don't think there is a down side?

As for AM... well to be honest, I don't even care. AM is largely
ignored by myself, since there's little there worth hearing. (Rush
Limbaugh? Michael Medved? Some Liberal Nutjob? Pu-leeze. Not
thanks.) But as long as I'm upgrading my FM to digital, we might as
well bring AM along for the ride, too.

Thanks for informing anyone reading the news group of your preferences
not that anyone would care. I don't have the vaguest idea who you are so
why should I care? Many people listen to the programs on the AM band
care about the programs you don't like.

I'm impressed that you would consider "bringing AM along for the ride"
for us peasants though.

I want to see FM upgraded with three to four times more programs to
choose from.

How wonderful. What a simply splendid idea. I just have to ask why you
think this is such a great idea?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

SFTV_troy September 29th 07 11:20 PM

HD radio won't just go away.

On Sep 29, 8:50 am, Steve wrote:

You're making the most elementary of mistakes here. More
channels does not equal more...

Yes it does. Each station gets split into 3 or even 4 sub-channels.
For example one of my local stations has split into (1) Christian
talk/ education programs (as they've done for the last 50 years). (2)
An all-music channel. (3) Another all-music channel, but teen-
oriented. ----- Thus giving more choice to the listener, in the same
way XM Radio has more channels and more choices.

Yes, on channel 1 you can hear the informercial about colloidal
silver, on channel 2 you have some ginseng supplement, on channel
three the amazing hgh and on channel four investing in gold.

Uh, no. Perhaps you misunderstood, so let me repeat it: Channels:
(1) Christian talk. (2) All-music. (3) Teen-oriented music. -----
And the other station I like to tune-in has these channels: (1) Adult
rock. (2) Soft rock (instrumental).

These are ACTUAL programs, not made-up fiction.

Better to (a) upgrade to digital and hope for
more variety/ better programming, than to (b)
Do nothing and keep the current crapfest.

True, but better programming would improve a lot. And it
wouldn't require new technology. And it wouldn't destroy MW.

New technology might not improve the programming, but it will triple
or even quadruple the number of choices. (See above.) And once the
analog is phased out, and the HD Radio is restricted to the standard
10 kilohertz width (mode 3), everything will be good again. No more
overlapping stations. (That is only a *temporary* situation, not a
permanent one.)

No one's saying do nothing. A lot of folks are just saying "don't
do something that's only going to make the situation worse."

Sounds reasonable, but if you want to transition from AM-analog to AM-
digital, you're going to have to make some sacrifices. Even the
European Union's DRM methodology spills-over into adjacent channels
(10 kHz AM + 5 kHz DRM). Plus it's only limited to ~10 kilobits per
second.... barely adequate.

But that's the price you have to pay when you upgrade.... like when
color TV arrived. Or the necessity to get new Digital TV receivers.
You phase-out the old, and phase-in the new.

BTW:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

No doubt that distant AM station you can no longer hear is still
available to you. Just visit their website & listen to their stream
(and you don't need to wait until night; you can do it during the day
too).