Old September 30th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio won't just go away.

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:57:46 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

SFTV_troy wrote:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

Uh... that's NOT DX'ing.

It may well become the DXing of the 21st Century.

That may work out for you but most people do not have the self
delusional capacity you possess.

and a lot fof olks don't have the stomach for the efforts of people
like you to tell what they must think

"one useless man is disgrace 2 become a law firm 3 or more become a congress"
adams

woger you are a Congress all in your own head

http://kb9rqz.bravejournal.com/

and get ou the newly recovered KB9RQZ.blogspot.com as well

Old September 30th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

Why should more channels of the same content be something people would
want?

That's just it! The HD 2 channels in most markets are totally
non-duplicative of the Analog/HD1 channel content. NY has, for example,
things like traditional jazz, country, classic hip hop, 50's and early 60's
oldies, standards, etc. that are not available on main channels.

Why should formats that are not stations now be added as additional HD
channels. Where is the logic in that?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 30th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:11:00 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

Why should more channels of the same content be something people would
want?

That's just it! The HD 2 channels in most markets are totally
non-duplicative of the Analog/HD1 channel content. NY has, for example,
things like traditional jazz, country, classic hip hop, 50's and early 60's
oldies, standards, etc. that are not available on main channels.

Why should formats that are not stations now be added as additional HD
channels. Where is the logic in that?

to serve niche markets I would loved such choices when I staion out in
OK I got realy tired of C&W

Old September 30th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

SFTV_troy wrote:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

Uh... that's NOT DX'ing.

It may well become the DXing of the 21st Century.

That may work out for you but most people do not have the self
delusional capacity you possess.

The other way to see this is from the perspective that there are not many AM
(MW) DXers left. The combined IRCA and NRC membership is around or less than
a thousand in North America... compare that to when RaDex was sold at the
news rack at the corner drugstore and DXing was engaged in by millions.

I just do not believe your contention that the numbers of people that
listen to night time AMBCB are small. I think there is a great deal of
regional listening at night and non-local stations during the day where
reception is of good quality such as where I live on the coast. There
are plenty of people that listen to stations that are not local in order
to hear a program not broadcast locally.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 30th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

SFTV_troy wrote:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

Uh... that's NOT DX'ing.

It may well become the DXing of the 21st Century.

Edwina, you're an idiot.

Old September 30th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

Why should more channels of the same content be something people would
want?

That's just it! The HD 2 channels in most markets are totally
non-duplicative of the Analog/HD1 channel content. NY has, for example,
things like traditional jazz, country, classic hip hop, 50's and early
60's
oldies, standards, etc. that are not available on main channels.

Why should formats that are not stations now be added as additional HD
channels. Where is the logic in that?

Because many formats are excluded because, with the finite number of FMs in
any market, there is not room for the second tier of formats. With HD 2
channels, there is.

Old September 30th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

I just do not believe your contention that the numbers of people that
listen to night time AMBCB are small. I think there is a great deal of
regional listening at night and non-local stations during the day where
reception is of good quality such as where I live on the coast. There
are plenty of people that listen to stations that are not local in order
to hear a program not broadcast locally.

There are no facts to support your contention. Listening to out of market
stations is very small (by the way, Ventura, Riverside West and San
Bernardino West are all in the LA DMA... the metro definition that matches
the TV metro area). Still, in your county, there is pretty limited in-market
listening to out of market stations.

Old September 30th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

SFTV_troy wrote:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

Uh... that's NOT DX'ing.

It may well become the DXing of the 21st Century.

Edwina, you're an idiot.

I suppose it was my idea to discontinue the R8B? There was not enough
market, you fool.

Old September 30th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
t...
Why should formats that are not stations now be added as additional HD
channels. Where is the logic in that?

Because many formats are excluded because, with the finite number of FMs
in any market, there is not room for the second tier of formats. With HD 2
channels, there is.

Now, now, Eduardo... you know full well that the reason that a given format
is not available in a given market is because it's just not profitable to
program it. The only difference with IBOC-FM is that now they can use a
single plant to provide multiple formats.. I don't see a lot of stations
doing this, though, on a long-range model, since these formats will still
not be profitable.

Old September 30th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"David Eduardo" wrote in message
news
The other way to see this is from the perspective that there are not many
AM (MW) DXers left. The combined IRCA and NRC membership is around or less
than a thousand in North America... compare that to when RaDex was sold at
the news rack at the corner drugstore and DXing was engaged in by
millions.

You DO realize, don't you, that most AMBCB DX'ers (or SWL's for that matter)
do not belong to clubs? That most are not even aware these clubs exist? Do
you think that I cared about clubs when I was lying in the grass when I was
14 listening to Wolfman Jack (or the Grand Ol' Opry on weekends) on my
pocket radio? Do you think that those kids listening to a ball game from a
distant station when they should have been sleeping know or care about DX
clubs? Or the trucker tuning across the dial to find something worth
listening to (hard to do these days when all you got at night is George
Noory)? Only the hardcore DX nerds know or care about DX clubs. Most just
listen for fun or the excitement of hearing something from far away.