Old September 30th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD radio won't just go away.

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message

The only thing on my
website that has changed in the last 4 years is the addition of a bunch
of old Radex, Whites and Stevenson's magazines. The bio / history is
essentially unchanged from when I cut and pasted it from my resume, about
year 2000. It's even got the same spelling errors.

Actually, Steve pointed out that wasn't true about a year ago.

Steve is probably certifiably crazy. I take anything he says as being
automatically untrue; he has, as I recall, never posted anything of
substance and even mis-identifies the formats on his local Boise stations.

Your knowledge of radio sales is dated, stilted and inaccurate;

I was wondering when that would finally come out.

At least my knowledge is based on 45 years of active experience.

Mine on 48. And the last agency I visited was Friday, and its accounts
include McDonalds, among others.

Have a good evening, David. You've proven, by your own words, your own
obfuscations that just about everything said by Steve is true.

And to me, you're just another arrogant S.O.B who can't look beyond his
office to realize that everyone around him is thinking the same thing:

No, only the nutjobs like dxAss and Telamon and Steve refuse to realize how
radio is used today, and the changes the industry has to make to survive...
and that said survival will likely not include AM in the long run.

The fact is, I speak with real listeners every week, and have a pretty good
idea what they want today, based on tens of thousands of yearly interviews.
Here, there are some who seem to have an intimate relationship with their
TenTec and have no idea what real people do, and how stations today have to
serve them.

Old September 30th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
David Eduardo wrote:

You can't have it both ways, David. You can't insist that Radio is
healthier than ever, and then claim your worry is about the success of
terrestrial radio against alternatives.

But I do not claim that. Radio is in slow revenue growth mode, and this year
may be no-growth (although due to automotive and mortgage / housing crisis
situations) so it is critical to keep the existing audience base, which the
PPPM shows to be a 96% reach of all 6+ Americans.

You can't have it both ways, David. You can't claim that there are too
many signals to be profitable, and then solve the problem with more
options.

It is rational to offer more formats on the good facilities via HD2,
although the losers will be the rimshots and AMs. This will allow the
listeners to pick free, terrestrial radio with more options.

It's the same reason stores open branches... when I have to drive 15 miles
to Bed Bath and Beyond, I pick the Linens and Things that is 3 miles away,
but if there is a new BBB at equal distance, I will remain loyal to that
chain. The total market sales of BBB will be divided, but they keep my
dollars...

Old September 30th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
David wrote:

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 17:27:54 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

I suppose it was my idea to discontinue the R8B? There was not enough
market, you fool.

I think what happened was that they pretty much sold one to everybody
who wanted one over the series' extremely long run.

Probably not the case. My guess is the profit margin was to thin and
they wanted to spend their time on more profitable product. There are
many older technology type components that would continue to get more
expensive with time and they would need to redesign it just to keep
costs down. I noticed the price on a R8B kept going up the last few
years they made it. With the Asian competition and the engineering hours
needed probably tipped the scales in favor of dropping it. Drake would
probably be asking at $2K to $2.5K for an R8B if they were still making
it today.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 30th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

I think he believes his own noise and no he can't provide the link
because what he claims doesn't exist. At least not yet.

The info provided to iBiquity's owners is not public, so I am not giving you
a link. You will simply have to hold your water until Samsung ships low
power, lower cost chips in 2008.

Most lies have a kernel of truth in them so they are believable. All I
know is every time a take a poke at what he posts the stick goes right
through the one layer of the "story" he tells. All that he posts seem
very illusionary in nature.

Nothing is like your insistence that listeners will put up with a bad AM
signal and listen, despite radio audience measurements that are universally
accepted showing no such thing occurs.

Old September 30th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

wrote:

I suppose it was my idea to discontinue the R8B? There was not enough
market, you fool.

I think what happened was that they pretty much sold one to everybody
who wanted one over the series' extremely long run.

Probably not the case. My guess is the profit margin was to thin and
they wanted to spend their time on more profitable product. There are
many older technology type components that would continue to get more
expensive with time and they would need to redesign it just to keep
costs down. I noticed the price on a R8B kept going up the last few
years they made it. With the Asian competition and the engineering hours
needed probably tipped the scales in favor of dropping it. Drake would
probably be asking at $2K to $2.5K for an R8B if they were still making
it today.

Or, the simple answer: there is a huge decline in the number of SW stations,
and also in SW listeners. Domestic SW, the nicest DX, is all but
disappearing and the quality broadcasters are reducing schedules or
suspending service.

Old September 30th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dxAce wrote:

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
SFTV_troy wrote:
I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.
Uh... that's NOT DX'ing.

It may well become the DXing of the 21st Century.
Edwina, you're an idiot.
It just looks that way to us DxAce because you and I don't share the
level of self delusion that Eduardo has attained.

I honestly believe this is not delusion. I honestly believe he
believes this noise.

His comments blaming DXers for abandoning broadcasters, while
delineating precisely how broadcasters have developed their disdain for
DXers is evidence that he's really looking at snapshots of this party,
but not attending the party, itself. Taking the Broadcaster/Dxer enmity
out of chronological order, as he did, suggests that he's seeing what he
needs to focus on in order to justify his position, but not seeing a
good deal of the out-of-frame that gives the snapshot context. This is
common among manglement in Radio.

It's what used to be called not seeing the forest for the trees.

It's what pilots call flying instruments in VFR conditions: Paying so
much attention to the minutiae that they fail to look up and actually
see how the plane is being flown.

One of my mentors in the Physics department at UMSL used to say, as
the textbook he taught from explained, formulae and numbers are only
shorthand for English sentences. If you can't explain your case without
resorting to formulae and numbers, you can't explain your case.

Corporately, that is the equivalent of: If you can't convince someone
without quoting a policy, you're hiding behind a firewall because you
actually can't function amongst your clients/customers.

And if you notice, he doesn't really answer your questions,
Telamon...but like Johnny Cochran, he gives you the answer he would like
you to hear, whether it addresses your question or not.

Has he posted the link you've asked for yet?

There are several inconsistencies in our most recent discussion about
demographics and agencies. The kind of inconsistencies that someone with
major market experience in both sales and Manglement wouldn't have made.

And in these last discussions, about DXers and this thread about HD,
he's begun speaking openly out of both sides of his mouth, not only
contradicting himself but doing it with a kind of indignation that's
also inconsistent with someone of his knowledge and experience.

Someone made the statement, here, that a person of his stature and
position doesn't need the ego piece that is his website.

Perhaps, that's true. Although I know people in the business who are
still trying to prove something after 30 years in the big city. But when
you read it, and as Ace has pointed out several times that the content
of his website has changed more than once when his credentials were
called into question, it does give one reason to wonder not so much what
it is that's false, but what it is that may be true.

I think he believes his own noise and no he can't provide the link
because what he claims doesn't exist. At least not yet.

He has written some weird stuff like he has people around him looking
over his shoulder laughing at peoples critical responses to his posts on
Usenet as an attempt to bully the people critical of him. Very strange
he would need this imaginary support.

I have noted the deception and misdirection. It's madding.

Most lies have a kernel of truth in them so they are believable. All I
know is every time a take a poke at what he posts the stick goes right
through the one layer of the "story" he tells. All that he posts seem
very illusionary in nature.

At one time it seemed to me you thought he is for real. You still think
that way?

Yeah, I do. But, over the last few weeks, I've noticed some serious
inconsistencies in his positions. And, I've watched him, when pressed,
back away from his arguments. Now, sometimes we say things in the heat
of a moment, or when time is short, that may require some clarification.
But, I've noticed a consistent pattern of argumentation, and when
pressed for specifics, a termination of the discussion, so he can move
on to other things. Direct questions asked, but never addressed.
Specifics requested but never supplied. Your link request that was never
provided. And now, twice, in front of the group, he's promised to get
his engineers out here to take signal strength measurements at my
location to determine why I can't hear a local 50kw station, but
immediately dropped all conversation about it.

To date the only one who's bothered to investigate my reception
issues, is me.

Again, not terribly surprising. Not any of it. Most broadcasters, in
fact, most people in any profession are particularly good at spouting a
company line, but woefully inadequate at following through. Or directly
addressing matters that they feel are inconsequential to them, beneath
them, or in the most insidious cases, may threaten their position. A
lot of people I know are like this. You probably know some, too.

But, here of late, I've seen more of it than in months past. And I've
seen more attempts at abject dismissal, in lieu of substantive
conversation. Which I have seen more out of consultants, than actual
working frontline broadcasters. And some blatant inconsistencies in his
claims about agencies/sales. And his experience. These things make me
suspect that, though, he's still the David we've all come to know and
love, that he's getting low on the calm, educational patience he's
showed a year ago, and is now running out of both patience, and
appreciation of the intercourse.

Like the parent who, when set with a barrage of questions he/she no
longer wants to deal with, because he/she can't make a compelling case,
retreats into 'because I said so.'

He speaks a corporate line. He speaks a policy statement. He
speaks...well, he speaks like he's reading out of a textbook. But he
doesn't speak with a level of personal intimacy that someone with his
experience would employ. You and I, for instance, barely know each
other. And have only corresponded once or twice within the group. But,
here, you've asked a direct question based on existing conversation, but
with a level of personal interaction that David does not employ. You ask
me about what I think and whether or not it's changed. And you phrased
it in a very personal way. Two people exchanging ideas....one to the other.

But when David speaks, he speaks like a policy statement. There's
only a level of personal interaction after it's been brought to his
attention that there is none. Hell, even Eric Richards, with whom I
share no personal cordiality, will address a post as though he's talking
TO me, but not AT me. David doesn't do that. He speaks AT his opponent.
Overwhelming with statistics, where a conversational sentence will do.
Jumping into conversations with material that brings nothing to the
topic at hand, but definitely puts his expertise and policy positions on
display.

Like a textbook. Very much like a textbook. General practices,
expectations and limitatons. But no personal experiential variations on
the textbook case. And everyone, EVERYONE, has personal experiences
where the textbook doesn't tell the story.

Then there was the issue of his ham credentials. When pressed he
gave a credible story about corruption in the testing process in
Ecuador. Nothing out of the ordinary, actually. Nothing outside the
realm of possibility. Certainly, something we'd all believe based on the
politics of the region. But when pressed, he gave no clarification, with
any personal experiential content. Just something that sounds a likely
story.

Which is all, really, that he needs to present. If that. But all of
his stories sound like that. Textbook, obvious and not unexpected likely
stories, without any personal variations, or counterintuitive wrinkles.

Somewhere you'd expect some.

Colleagues, whether vocational or avocational, don't address each
other like that. He claims to be a DXer, but disdains DXers. He claims
to be an SWL, but contributes almost nothing to SW related
conversations. He keeps his content almost entirely on BC related
matters, and, again speaks not TO, but AT the topic. Like we're not
here. Or beneath him. Ignorant USENet savages, who could not be informed
if we could BUY a clue.

As I said, I've known people in the Radio business like that. But
then don't rise to the level of corporate oversight, or management. And
they are certainly not leaders. Usually they're middle manglement. And
consultants.

So, yeah, to answer your question, I think he's for real. I just
think he's not as good at keeping it real as he wants to believe.

Old September 30th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

Hell, even Eric Richards, with whom I
share no personal cordiality,

Laf.

That's YOUR choice, Peter, not mine. And, FWIW, it inspired some
interesting email from former participants in this group.

will address a post as though he's talking
TO me, but not AT me. David doesn't do that. He speaks AT his opponent.
Overwhelming with statistics, where a conversational sentence will do.

Actually, I disagree. He overwhemlms with statistical buzzwords
rather than statistics. It's easy to talk about normal distributions
if you have read about statistics, but what if you don't know where a
normal distribution simply doesn't apply?

Jumping into conversations with material that brings nothing to the
topic at hand, but definitely puts his expertise and policy positions on
display.

Just an ego trip. "Let me show you how much I know." Only it doesn't
work.

Generally a post I would agree with. It doesn't take a radio insider
to see it, though.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser
Old September 30th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

Sorry Tardo, but you'll never stop the internet or internet radio.

He (or those who think like him) can destroy conventional radio, and
where it is useful is in times of emergency, such as 9/11 or when a
major river-crossing bridge suddenly ceases to exist.

For a commuter, all that chit-chat between the musical pieces or the
news stories is very useful.

Old September 30th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 29, 3:20 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
Steve wrote:
On Sep 29, 12:56 pm, SFTV_troy wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:50 am, Steve wrote:

You're making the most elementary of mistakes here. More
channels does not equal more...

Yes it does. Each station gets split into 3 or even 4 sub-channels.
For example one of my local stations has split into (1) Christian
talk/ education programs (as they've done for the last 50 years). (2)
An all-music channel. (3) Another all-music channel, but teen-
oriented. ----- Thus giving more choice to the listener, in the same
way XM Radio has more channels and more choices.

Yes, on channel 1 you can hear the informercial about colloidal
silver, on channel 2 you have some ginseng supplement, on channel
three the amazing hgh and on channel four investing in gold.

Uh, no. Perhaps you misunderstood, so let me repeat it: Channels:
(1) Christian talk. (2) All-music. (3) Teen-oriented music. -----
And the other station I like to tune-in has these channels: (1) Adult
rock. (2) Soft rock (instrumental).

These are ACTUAL programs, not made-up fiction.

Better to (a) upgrade to digital and hope for
more variety/ better programming, than to (b)
Do nothing and keep the current crapfest.

True, but better programming would improve a lot. And it
wouldn't require new technology. And it wouldn't destroy MW.

New technology might not improve the programming, but it will triple
or even quadruple the number of choices. (See above.) And once the
analog is phased out, and the HD Radio is restricted to the standard
10 kilohertz width (mode 3), everything will be good again. No more
overlapping stations. (That is only a *temporary* situation, not a
permanent one.)

No one's saying do nothing. A lot of folks are just saying "don't
do something that's only going to make the situation worse."

Sounds reasonable, but if you want to transition from AM-analog to AM-
digital, you're going to have to make some sacrifices. Even the
European Union's DRM methodology spills-over into adjacent channels
(10 kHz AM + 5 kHz DRM). Plus it's only limited to ~10 kilobits per
second.... barely adequate.

But that's the price you have to pay when you upgrade.... like when
color TV arrived. Or the necessity to get new Digital TV receivers.
You phase-out the old, and phase-in the new.

BTW:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

No doubt that distant AM station you can no longer hear is still
available to you. Just visit their website & listen to their stream
(and you don't need to wait until night; you can do it during the day
too).- Hide quoted text -

SFTV_troy,

So a Telephone Call to your Great Grand Ma
in the UK is DXing . . .

DOH I Think Not ! ~ RHF
Old September 30th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 29, 4:38 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

SFTV_troy wrote:

I don't really understand why people are upset about the loss of
DX'ing over AM (only temporarily; it will be restored when AM goes
pure digital). You can still do DX'ing via using services like
shoutcast.com. Just yesterday at work I was listening to an
Australian station. Another favorite of mine is located in England.
DX'ing is still alive and well on the internet.

Uh... that's NOT DX'ing.

It may well become the DXing of the 21st Century.

d'Eduardo 'speaks' from beyond the 10mv/m Contour

- - - but can anyone hear him - NO ! ~ RHF