Old September 30th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Default HOW OLD are you?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

76 years old, retired Hewlett-Packard Technical Writer, AA Degree
Electronics, Amateur Extra since 1977, US Navy Korean War - Aviation
Electronics Tech AT1

SWL frequently

The Old Shadow do

Old September 30th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

On Sep 30, 3:40 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

76 years old, retired Hewlett-Packard Technical Writer, AA Degree
Electronics, Amateur Extra since 1977, US Navy Korean War - Aviation
Electronics Tech AT1

SWL frequently

The Old Shadow do

I'm 20. Candidate for a Bachelors degree in Electro-Optics in applied
Physics with a minor in Computer Science..

I created most of the infrared focal plane array test program for anti-
missile defense and worked on other various electro-optic projects
throughout my work experience, and before that I was a physics tutor
for numerous college students. I've been playing piano for more than
14 years and still continue to play. I wrote a research paper on
LED's in an RC circuit.

Old September 30th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
msg msg is offline

Michael Black wrote:

snip

You might as well have asked "What did you have for breakfast"
because it would have been just as off-topic to all four
newsgroups, and be just been as nonsensical to the groups
as your actual question.

Well discussing breakfast would IMHO be far more on-topic
than the vast majority of posts to rec.radio.shortwave.

I would support a campaign to improve the S/N ratio
on r.r.s.

Regards,

Michael
Old September 30th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Don Pearce"
wrote:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm 57, and I'd like to say I'm an engineer, but the word is debased
currency these days. People like me, who have done the studying, can
design systems and circuits, write international standards, climb a
transmitter tower in a gale, get you a telecomms license and shmooze
middle eastern potentates etc etc are engineers.

Designing circuits and writing standards will get you "engineer." The
other
things you mention are too nebulous to qualify for a title, but they're
good
things to be good at.

Yes. I believe the word you're looking for is "technician" - somebody
who knows how to fix various things and assemble them, but doesn't
know how to design, because they typically have only 2 years of
college or trade school.

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

Old September 30th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Soundhaspriority wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I think that you will find that SSB was invented in the early 1920s.

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org
Old September 30th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

charlie wrote:
Soundhaspriority wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I think that you will find that SSB was invented in the early 1920s.

Charlie.

In fact it was 1915 but the patent was not granted until 1923

"The first U. S. patent for SSB modulation was applied for on 1
December, 1915 by John R. Carson. Patent 1,449,382, titled "Method
and Means for Signaling with High Frequency Waves" was awarded to
Carson on March 27, 1923 and assigned to AT&T."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-sideband_modulation

Charlie.

M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org
Old September 30th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

On Sep 30, 3:03 pm, "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
wrote in message
Soundhaspriority wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

I didn't say it was. I said ANALOG theory was. Digital of course
still has relevance.

Old September 30th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

Accounting Student/Forklift Driver

-Brian