Old October 1st 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

Default DX'ing using the internet - No need for long-distance AM

RHF wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:53 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

Listen to the AM/MW Radio Band and the very
Negative Effect that IBOC has had on It :

I've heard it. I don't care, because it doesn't affect the local
stations (OK city) I am listening to on my way to work, or on my way
back home.

I don't care, because when I want to do distant listening, I am not
stuck back in World War 2. I am in the 21st century and use the
internet to listen as far away as London or Japan or Australia.

Listening 'On-Line' is not Free Over-the-Air Radio

Yes it is. Just as watching NBC or FOX on your cable is still Free
over-the-air television. They are still sending out their waves to
their local markets. There are still some people watching/listening
to them via the antenna.

Old October 1st 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car

On Oct 1, 6:07 am, wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:53 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

Listen to the AM/MW Radio Band and the very
Negative Effect that IBOC has had on It :

I've heard it. I don't care, because it doesn't affect the local
stations (OK city) I am listening to on my way to work, or on my way
back home.

I don't care, because when I want to do distant listening, I am not
stuck back in World War 2. I am in the 21st century and use the
internet to listen as far away as London or Japan or Australia.

Listening 'On-Line' is not Free Over-the-Air Radio

Yes it is. Just as watching NBC or FOX on your cable is still Free
over-the-air television. They are still sending out their waves to
their local markets. There are still some people watching/listening
to them via the antenna.

No one here is interested - HD Radio is DOA:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

Old October 1st 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car

RHF wrote:

d'Eduardo,

Thank You Once Again For Reminding Us
That We Don't Count As Sellable Numbers.
we are just plain old radio listeners

Yes and the sooner you realize that, the happier you will be. You
shouldn't expect the FCC or the National Association of Broadcasters
to care about a hobby (distant AM listening) that only represents less
than 0.01% of the audience.

Old October 1st 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car

On Oct 1, 5:34 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Oct 1, 6:07 am, wrote:

I don't care, because when I want to do distant listening, I am not
stuck back in World War 2. I am in the 21st century and use the
internet to listen as far away as London or Japan or Australia.

No one here is interested - HD Radio is DOA

AM distant listening is even deader. The number of HD listeners
outnumbers distant AM listeners by (approximately) 1 million to
10,000.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but it's true.

Old October 1st 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car

Brenda Ann wrote:
"
Do you think that those kids listening to a ball game from a distant
station when they should have been sleeping know or care about DX
clubs? Or the trucker tuning across the dial to find something worth
listening to ....

Kids today use their computers to listen to distant stations, not
radio.

Truckers use XM or Sirius, not terrestrial broadcast.

You are living in the past, but everybody else has moved into the
future with Broadband internet, and Satellite. Time to wake-up and
smell the truth.

Old October 1st 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car

On Oct 1, 7:21 am, SFTV_troy wrote:
On Oct 1, 5:40 am, IBOCcrock wrote:

No one here is interested - HD Radio is DOA:

AM distant listening is even deader. The number of HD listeners
outnumbers distant AM listeners by (approximately) 1 million to
10,000.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but it's true.

Sorry, to give you the bad news, but HD Radio is DOA:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/200...ains-flat.html

Old October 1st 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car

On Oct 1, 6:07 am, wrote:
RHF wrote:
On Sep 30, 9:53 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

Listen to the AM/MW Radio Band and the very
Negative Effect that IBOC has had on It :

I've heard it. I don't care, because it doesn't affect the local
stations (OK city) I am listening to on my way to work, or on my way
back home.

I don't care, because when I want to do distant listening, I am not
stuck back in World War 2. I am in the 21st century and use the
internet to listen as far away as London or Japan or Australia.

Most people listening to radio broadcasts do so because they are
looking for content and don't really care all that much how the signal
got to the speaker. Those are the people that broadcasters and
advertisers focus their efforts on.

DX liseners are focused not so much on content as on knowing when
signal propogation conditions will change to allow non-local stations
to be temporarily heard. They are interested more in documenting that
momentary catch than content. As a consequence broadcast stations and
advertisers really have no commercial interest in assuring their
signal reaches DXers.

Old October 1st 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 1, 5:07 am, wrote:

On Sep 30, 9:53 am, SFTV_troy wrote:

Listening 'On-Line' is not Free Over-the-Air Radio

Yes it is. Just as watching NBC or FOX on your cable is still Free
over-the-air television. They are still sending out their waves to
their local markets. There are still some people watching/listening
to them via the antenna.

No, it's not. "Free-over-the-air" is just that...FREE OVER THE AIR.
If you watch
TV on cable or listen to radio stations online, you PAY a monthly FEE.
So, it's NOT free.
Over the air broadcasts are FREE when you grab the signal on the air
with an antenna
and WITHOUT the monthly cable/internet fee. That's free over the air.
Cable and internet
are NOT free.

Just in case you didn't know, satellite is not free either. You pay
the provider a monthly
fee to access their service.

The whole idea of HD radio is ridiculous.