Old November 2nd 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Icom 756 Pro III vs. NRD-545 vs. AOR-7030+

On Nov 1, 12:44 am, wrote:
I've narrowed my search down to a short list of three receivers:

Icom 756 Pro III
JRC NRD-545
AOR 7030+

My primary interests are MW DXing, utilities, and general SW
listening, in that order, with SW listening a distant third.

There are no general SW dealers in my area, so I haven't seen the JRC
or the AOL, but there's a Ham Radio Outlet where I had a chance to
listen to the 756.

I've owned an NRD-525 in the past, so I know something of the
ergonomics and build quality of the NRD series, which I like, but I'm
concerned about the less than stellar reviews I've read. Most of them
complain about the audio (monkey chatter) and dynamic range issues
associated with the 18-bit A/D.

I've never seen a 7030+, but the menu-oriented operating system seems
to be a love it or hate it proposition. I've also heard of issues with
the encoders used for the main tuning knob and rotary selector wearing
out or becoming flaky with use. I've also heard that the 7030+ has
been discontinued, production stopped earlier this year, and dealers
are selling off remaining stock.

The 756 has 32-bit DSP and a 24-bit A/D, but it also has a
transmitter, which adds to the cost, making this the most expensive of
the three ($900 more than the 545 and $1200 more than the 7030+). The
sensitivity below 1500kHz is crippled, requiring a mod to disable the
attenuator and enable the pre-amp in this range. The spectrum scope is
cool, enabling you to "see" signals in a section of the band changing
in real-time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Of course, if you're going to consider all of the possibilities that
people are throwing at you here, then we might as well throw the
"expected sometime soon" Kneisner and Doering KWZ-30/2 into the mix.

Steve

Old November 2nd 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 2, 5:52 am, Steve wrote:
Of course, if you're going to consider all of the possibilities that
people are throwing at you here, then we might as well throw the
"expected sometime soon" Kneisner and Doering KWZ-30/2 into the mix.

I've heard that Kneisner and Doering plan on including a free copy of
Duke Nukem Forever with each KWZ-30/2 sold.