Old November 10th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I built new antennas

On Nov 9, 11:04 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I haven't been around lately - been moving west with wife. I have two
new antennas. A pa0rdt and an Amrad. I don't think that they are
available commercial but they are both a fairly easy to homebrew.
Both good from a few kHz to 30MHz. I will mount them both tomorrow and
get back to group after some op time. I am living in Rochester NY now
with a few big MW stations in the area so that I need antennas with
low IM products. Both are supposed to work fb in the city.

I landed a dream job at Harris RF here in town so moved into new QTH
and getting antennas & radios set up for winter. I also have a Hustler
5btv and my very big AM loop. Thinking of putting up a B&W T2FD for
sending 160m on up.

More later
NEO

Congratulations on the new job. I'll bet it's interesting.

I'm curious to hear how you like the pa0rdt mini whip. I have one here
in Brooklyn and find it pretty unremarkable. My LF-Engineering H-800
Skymatch usually beats it and my Wellbrook loop absolutely trounces
it. I currently use both the pa0rdt and the H-800 as noise antennas
along with a Timewave ANC-4. The pa0rdt does make an excellent noise
antenna because it excels at hearing locally generated rfi!

Steve

Old November 11th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Three 'Tips' For Most Active Antennas : Location + Grounding + Mounting

On Nov 10, 1:31 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article . com,

Steve wrote:
On Nov 9, 11:04 pm, N9NEO wrote:
[...]

People should pay great attention to your observations on loop verses
the whip antennas since most are looking for a good small size antenna
that works well.

The small loop antennas generally sense the magnetic field component of
EM waves where the small whip senses the electric field. Small meaning
electrically small relative to the signal received. Because it is easier
to encounter local electric fields than the magnetic the loops generally
are quieter then the whips for distant signals verses local noise. You
can also take advantage of the loop antenna null.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

FO&A,

Three 'Tips' For Most Active Antennas :
Location + Grounding + Mounting
These 'small' Whip / Loop "Active" Antennas
can be used successfully when they are :

Tip # 1 - Located in the best Noise Free Area
available to the user on their property.
- - - Search the "Right Spot" out with a 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radio before you place the Active Antenna
just anywhere.

Tip # 2 - Properly Grounded with and 8-Foot Ground Rod
and a short thick heavy-duty Web Strap.

Tip # 3 - Correctly Mounted
{ Free Standing and Away from Everything See # 1 }
* Single piece of 21-Foot long Top-Rail {Metal Pipe}
* Free Standing with 3-Feet in the Ground
* Dig a 6"~8" 'Post-Hole with a Larger 3-Feet piece
of Metal Pipe centered in the Hole as a Sleave to
place the Top-Rail in; insert an 8-Foot Ground Rod
in the space between the Sleave and the outer-edge
of the Post-Hole; then and fill the outside area of the
Hole with Concrete.
- - - This is your Antenna Gound Anchor

keep your radio active and your antennas up - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
..
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
.
Shortwave Radio Listener QSL Reports News & Info Group
http://groups.google.com/group/short...er-qsl-reports
Read & Post Your Shortwave Listener (SWL) Reception Reports
SWL-QSL-REPORTS = http://tinyurl.com/3awlyr
.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING = http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWL
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !
.

/ \
........!.......

Old November 11th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:11:45 -0800, RHF
wrote:

* Single piece of 21-Foot long Top-Rail {Metal Pipe}
* Free Standing with 3-Feet in the Ground
* Dig a 6"~8" 'Post-Hole with a Larger 3-Feet piece
of Metal Pipe centered in the Hole as a Sleave to
place the Top-Rail in; insert an 8-Foot Ground Rod
in the space between the Sleave and the outer-edge
of the Post-Hole; then and fill the outside area of the
Hole with Concrete.
- - - This is your Antenna Gound Anchor

I used one of those Radio Shack flat plates with a spike in the
middle, 2 [ea] 10' top rails, and a house clamp (oh yeah, a tin can
and 2 hose clamps) to hold my MFJ-1024 10' above house, on the
opposite corner from where the electricals come out of the dirt.
Old November 11th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

-
- I used one of those Radio Shack flat plates with a spike in the
- middle, 2 [ea] 10' top rails, and a house clamp (oh yeah, a tin can
- and 2 hose clamps) to hold my MFJ-1024 10' above house, on the
- opposite corner from where the electricals come out of the dirt.

David -Sounds like a good practical solution to :

# 1 - Getting-It-Up ! -Oops- In the Air That Is . . .

# 2 - Getting-It-Mounted ! -Oops- The Active Antenna That is . . .

# 3 - Getting-It-Well-Grounded. Practically Speaking That Is . . .

a top-of-the-rail to you - iane ~ RHF
Old November 30th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 10, 8:29 am, Steve wrote:
On Nov 9, 11:04 wrote:

[...]

Hey Steve,

I ordered some coax yesterday to get antennas farther away from
house. I'll post more next week. I'm trying my best to take RHF
advice on getting them mounted. Location, ground rod etc. The AmraD
IS UP AND DOING a nice job. Lots of good listening under the BC
band. I'm looking into a Wellbrook loop as well. Thanks for the
congrats on job. Lots of bright engineers to learn from and the
company is very good to us.

73
NEO

I built new antennas RHF Shortwave 0 November 10th 07 09:10 AM
Pictures of your antennas in the Antennas in the World directory oli Antenna 0 June 25th 07 10:01 AM
FA - Un-built HF transceiver - SB-104 kk4tl Swap 0 March 21st 06 02:48 PM
KENWOOD TS 850 S (With AT built in K7LTF Zach Swap 0 March 15th 04 10:28 AM
KENWOOD TS 850 S (With AT built in K7LTF Zach Swap 0 March 12th 04 05:59 AM