Old November 26th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Listening Declines

On Nov 25, 10:52 pm, wrote:
What a shock not really... I guess corporate radio kills the golden goose?

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

Summer book Persons Using Radio (PUR) numbers declined to their lowest level
since Arbitron began keeping statistics in Fall 1998. Radio usage dropped in
every cell except 50-54s. Steepest declines continue to be among teenagers
and young adults, as their attention is increasingly diverted to other
media. That's especially true among males, with Men 18-24 and 18-34 cells
posting the biggest year-over-year declines. But the crowded media world is
also taking a toll on the 25-54 money demo, which fell 15.1-14.9. There's
also a disturbing trend among female demos. In the Summer book not a single
female cell saw an increase in listening. All but two (50-54 and 65+)
declined. Compare that to male demos. While older women mirror the trend of
listening less, the Summer book shows Men 45-64 were listening to the radio
more.

As I wrote yesterday http://www.hear2.com/2007/11/radios-perfect-.html:
Listener who grow up with access to digital media are forever changed. They
will not "grow into" us - we must "grow into" them.
Or else the radio will eventually become your father's Oldsmobile.
November 14, 2007 in Radio's Future | Permalink
http://www.hear2.com/2007/11/radio-listening.html | Comments (2)
http://www.hear2.com/2007/11/radio-listening.html | TrackBack (0)
http://www.hear2.com/2007/11/radio-listening.html
Recorded music sales hit the skids
Estimates eMarketer

http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?id=1005605&src=article1_newsltr:
Worldwide spending on recorded music will actually decline-falling from
$31.8 billion in 2006 to $26.2 billion in 2011.
That's not just CD's, that's ALL recorded music, including digital music.
And that's despite lots of new digital ways and forms to buy music. No doubt
because of the new ways and forms to steal it.

So, what does that mean?? Does it mean we have to move towards using
the resources the younger crowd is using - that we have to change the
way we stream information?? Or does that mean that radio is just done
for?? Perhaps radio needs to look at what the audience is requiring.
I have no idea how to use the modes that 16-30 year olds are now
relying on -- but as with large scale movie theaters - they have had
to adapt their marketing and their type of entertainment. They now
have commercials during the previews -- they have made megaplexes that
serve dinner and alcohol - they rent out space to conferences - they
offer video games, etc to get people in. I think maybe that's where
radio is loosing out - we can't keep saying it's declining - we have
to maybe morph into a new entity that pleases the masses -- and those
are soon going to be the 16-30 year demos -- because the 50 -54 year
old demos are going to be leaving us.

Old November 26th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default FAQ # 1 - What is "HD" Radio ? [Was : Radio Listening Declines]

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

Renowned Cambridge SoundWorks 820 HD Radio Designer
- Explains HD Radio - HD Radio Technology
"Frequently Asked Questions" [ FAQs ] -by- Fred Pinkerton
http://www.hdradio.com/the_buzz.php?thebuzz=87
Old November 26th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

.
FAQ # 1 - What is "HD" Radio ?http://groups.google.com/group/hd-ra...28496edf85d643
.
-Note- The Answer Is Out There !
.
hy dee ray dee oh ~ RHF
Hello and Welcome to the "HD Radio" NewsGroup
HD RADIO =http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio/

Both traditional terrestrial radio and HD Radio are dying, but don't
tell RHF, D Peter Maus, and/or Eduardo. HD Radio a farce:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/
Old November 26th 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

You need to stop posting in this NG about HD Radio - you are clogging-
up this NG.

Old November 26th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

See, this is why music-oriented FMs are screwed, while news/talk/
sports on the 50KW AMs remain alive-and-well in major-markets.
Old November 26th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

It's too late - Internet Radio (i.e., personalized music services,
such as Pandora, Last.fm, and Slacker) will kill the music-oriented
FMs. Pandora is on Sprint phones, has just teamed with AT&T, and is
available to be streamed via Ford's/Microsoft' Sync (and soon to be
licensed to GM, Toyata, and Honda) BTW - I keep seeing more-and-more
TV commercials for Ford's Sync, BUT NONE FOR DEALER-INSTALLED HD
RADIO! Sync is optional and is also a STANDARD feature in Ford's top-
trim models, which constitute 40% of its sales. HD Radio is DOA!
Old November 26th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

IBOCcrock wrote:
See, this is why music-oriented FMs are screwed, while news/talk/
sports on the 50KW AMs remain alive-and-well in major-markets.

Don't tell PHX and Salt Lake.
Old November 26th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

There's no way to ''stream'' to an automobile, other than an expensive
cellular link. This approach doesn't work on the open road, as the data
cloud is not ubiquitous.
Old November 26th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Today's Inside Radio http://www.insideradio.com:

[...]

cloud is not ubiquitous.- Hide quoted text -

"Ford SYNC, HD Radio and the state of competition"

"Now here's the killer: Ford is making SYNC available as a factory-
installed option for just over $300. And for the top-end trim levels,
like the Focus SES, it'll be a standard feature. That's right...
standard. So if you have an iPod, or Zune (ha!), you can now control
it easily while you drive. If you have a cellphone that supports a
service like mSpot, or a phone that supports Pandora, you can now
listen to them in your car... easily. And this will have a ripple-
effect throughout all the other auto manufacturers as the platform is
licensed to GM, Honda and Toyota (this is Microsoft we're talking
about)..."

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/fo...mpetition.html

"Radio: Internet Radio or HD Radio. You choose!"

"Here's the choice - supplementary channels of varied audio quality
from the same radio chains that deliver today's unimaginative
terrestrial radio formats or worldwide radio of every imaginable
format and style where the passion is in the performance?... And, most
of all, who'll apologize for the time and money spent, the years the
radio industry bought into it, and the deceitfulness suffered because
of Ibiquity and the HD Radio Alliance's misguidance."

http://gormanmediablog.blogspot.com/...blog-post.html

You dumb-cluck - oh, it must be D PETER MAUS all over again!