Old July 30th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Homes in foreclosure and yet, HDTV?

Smokey wrote:
It will be interesting to hear the wailing from the TV broadcast industry
and its advertisers after a huge audience is eliminated by forcing the
insane HDTV nonsense down our throats in 2009.

I for one am telling every advertiser I do business with that I will not see
any of their ads after that date.

Jeez, Louise...hundreds of thousands of homes in foreclosure, the ****tiest
economy in my life, $4 for a lousy gallon of gas, a trip to the grocery
store is a painfully expensive process and every one I know has been layed
off.

AND THESE PRICKS THINK WE'RE GOING TO RUSH OUT A BUY EQUIPMENT TO RECEIVE
THEIR ASSININE DIGITAL SYSTEM?

The ones to blame are those in Washington but equally culpable are the
sycophants in the TV industry to sat by and allowed it to happen.

I'm glad I'm not spending any money on TV advertising that few people will
see after 2009.

Well... a couple of things to consider...if you're on cable, it's not
an issue. Cable will convert the ATSC signal to NTSC for you. Probably
with a rate increase in 2009, but, well...that's cable.

If you're on Satellite...it's not an issue, you're already digital.

If you're receiving your TV over the air, converter boxes are
available, with federal subsidies, and coupons for as little as $40.

Full featured ATSC tv's are now available for as little as $500. Many
made the conversion as early as three years ago.

It's going to be, largely, a non-issue.

Old July 30th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

D Peter Maus wrote:

Smokey wrote:

It will be interesting to hear the wailing from the TV broadcast industry
and its advertisers after a huge audience is eliminated by forcing the
insane HDTV nonsense down our throats in 2009.

snip

If you're receiving your TV over the air, converter boxes are
available, with federal subsidies, and coupons for as little as $40.

snip
It's going to be, largely, a non-issue.

I sympathize with the O.P.; say goodbye to reliable reception while in
motion; say goodbye to _any_ reception in poor multipath areas; say goodbye
to portable reception without using an insanely power-hungry approach
(and so far no mfg. is addressing this market -- what with smartphones,
etc. it isn't attractive) and say goodbye to reliable emergency television
communications (you would need to do a site survey just to set up
an emergency receiver). sarcasm This spectrum grab is a fiasco and it is sad
that the general public hasn't revolted but the twenty percent or so
who need OTA reception are just an inconsequential minority. /sarcasm

Michael
Old July 31st 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default You Know Radio Is In Big Trouble When...

David, HD receivers are not selling because the public has no interest.
Most
people already own 5 radios that work just fine. And judging by the lack
of
sales they see no reason to upgrade.

It could take 10 years for most radios to contain HD technology...but
that's OK.

HD isn't going anywhere.

Why does this feel like Am stereo all
over again. Another technology that listeners never asked for but could
have
been great.. but because of no interest and competing ideas simply died.

Why does this feel like FM all over again? (Lots of naysayers, but given
time it becomes the accepted standard.)

FM didn't take over the majority of listening until FM stations approached
the same penetration as existing AM's.

Which occurred when Auto manufactures started installing them in cars (as
standard equipment on many!).

So, it took a while from the technology rolled out to public acceptance.

IBOC does not have anywhere near the useful coverage area of existing
analog. This is one of it's largest problems.

It doesn't have to...it's not replacing analog.

The other big problems are that the upcoming and a lot of the current
target market don't give a damn about radio in general, commercial radio
in particular, and, for those that do, they are quite happy enough with
the signal and quality they already have.

I remember my father telling me I didn't need to spend $35 to get my first
new car equipped with FM Radio.

People didn't really care about that either.

FM offered a sharp increase in fidelity over AM. IBOC does not.

AM IBOC *IS* a great increase in fidelity.

Also offerrs stereo for AM.

It offers practically nothing on FM as far as increase in quality...

Quality won't be the selling point...but the additional stream choices will
be.

and the tradeoff on AM is that IBOC, when you can use it at all, does
decrease noise, but the sound is poor like a low bitrate mp3.

It's better than AM analog...so it's an improvement.

Old July 31st 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 30, 7:05*pm, "A Brown" wrote:
David, HD receivers are not selling because the public has no interest.

Leading Provider of HD Radio Products in Trouble IBOCcrock Shortwave 0 November 7th 07 02:53 AM
EZ NEC trouble Scott M Antenna 1 March 14th 05 05:51 AM
trouble with hum Ken Bessler Scanner 2 March 8th 05 03:57 AM
NG Trouble Landshark CB 0 January 25th 05 06:44 AM
DX 396 serious trouble? T Shortwave 12 July 17th 03 06:03 AM