Old December 2nd 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eduardo - Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan?

Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan? Or A Potential Job? Lead [-]

Sun, 2-Dec-2007 3:05 PM
Tags : None

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....html#msg649760

It's a great topic. According to the postor, someone applying for a
loan was denied despite working for the same station ten years
straight-- because "radio announcer" checks in this week at #3 on the
"high risk" careers list.

It's hard to blame a lender for taking such relevant criteria into
account. Where you're going is just as important as, perhaps even more
than, where you've been.

I was never told directly or in print, but off-the-record from a home
mortgage company employee that my having worked in radio at the time
certainly wasn't good. This person, who never worked a day in
broadcasting, was well aware of the baggage coming with an applicant
in radio.

I HAVE been told by at least one potential employer (non-radio job)
that the main reason I most likely wouldn't get the job (I didn't) was
the fact that I'd worked in radio. This despite having interviewed
twice before with others there, and passing some stupid "skills/
aptitude test" supposedly with the second-best score the proctor had
ever seen (there were about 70 people in the room taking the test with
me that day). But the company had had "bad experiences" with radio
people, who would only take jobs there for a temporary paycheck in
between broadcast gigs.

Most disturbingly, I truly believe having worked a long time in radio
now hurts one's chances at getting a job IN RADIO as well in many
cases. ("We're looking for a fresh perspective, someone our listeners
can better 'relate' to.")

Old December 3rd 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....649760.html#ms...

[...]

If you believe that bunch of crap, I have a bridge I'd like to sell to
you.
Old December 3rd 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 2, 8:42�pm, wrote:
[...]

you.- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps, you work in the dying radio industry?
Old December 3rd 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default I B OC'd and Half-Crocked - R U A Lone !

[...]

I B OC'd and Half-Crocked,

-While- "Radio Announcers" may Check-In This Week
At The #3 "High Risk" Careers List.

You still remain Dead Last in the Interesting Post
of the Day Charts and a Sad Testimony to Want-To-Be
Careers-Gone-Wild Life-Style !

now go kiss your dog good night ~ RHF
Old December 3rd 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 2, 11:51 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

On Dec 2, 3:25 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan? Or A Potential Job? Lead [-]

No.

You are becoming pensive.

Old December 3rd 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

On Dec 2, 3:25 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan? Or A Potential Job? Lead [-]

No.

Have you ever accepted Payola or free piñatas?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 4th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

On Dec 2, 3:25 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan? Or A Potential Job? Lead [-]

No.

Have you ever accepted Payola or free piñatas?

The piñatas are a guaranteed fringe benefit, as are the Pollo Loco gift
cards.

Old December 4th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

On Dec 2, 3:25 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan? Or A Potential Job? Lead [-]

No.

Have you ever accepted Payola or free piñatas?

The piñatas are a guaranteed fringe benefit, as are the Pollo Loco gift
cards.

Well, what about the Payola?

Old December 4th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

On Dec 2, 3:25 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan? Or A Potential Job? Lead
[-]

No.

Have you ever accepted Payola or free piñatas?

The piñatas are a guaranteed fringe benefit, as are the Pollo Loco gift
cards.

Well, what about the Payola?

I don't select music, so that is a moot point.