Old January 4th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig G5's clock

RHF wrote:
On Jan 2, 8:43 am, msg wrote:

My Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radios default to WWV
on 10.000 MHz when they lose Power.

My Drake SW2 does that, too.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Greg wrote:
I must be incredibly nerdy, because I spent 10 minutes the other day
getting my new G5's clock to click over at the exact moment the minute
tone on the WWV station began.

I've noticed, however, that after a few hours the minute clicks over
before the tone, and in fact after a day, up to 4 or 5 seconds. Has
anyone else noticed the G5's clock not being very accurate?

Quartz clocks suck. They wander all over the place.
Old January 2nd 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My Kaito 1103 (the same circuitry as the G5) also has an unreliable clock,
and others have complained about the Degen 1103 as well--the manufacturer
might have spent a few more cents on the clock chip.

Old January 2nd 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 1, 11:00*pm, Greg wrote:
I must be incredibly nerdy, because I spent 10 minutes the other day
getting my new G5's clock to click over at the exact moment the minute
tone on the WWV station began.

I've noticed, however, that after a few hours the minute clicks over
before the tone, and in fact after a day, up to 4 or 5 seconds. Has
anyone else noticed the G5's clock not being very accurate?

I have a G5, and I like it very much, but yes I have been having
problems qwith the clock as, it seems to gain time on my radio as
well. But I really like the SSB and fine tuning, which works similar
to a BFO. Have you had any problems with images? As the radio is
only dual conversion.
Fred Burgess
Old January 2nd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 2, 1:00*am, Greg wrote:
I must be incredibly nerdy, because I spent 10 minutes the other day
getting my new G5's clock to click over at the exact moment the minute
tone on the WWV station began.

I've noticed, however, that after a few hours the minute clicks over
before the tone, and in fact after a day, up to 4 or 5 seconds. Has
anyone else noticed the G5's clock not being very accurate?

As with yours, the clock in my Degen gains a minute in slightly over
a week. That's abysmal performance for a quartz timed clock although
it would be spot on for a Rolex chronometer.

Old January 3rd 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Greg wrote:

I must be incredibly nerdy, because I spent 10 minutes the other day
getting my new G5's clock to click over at the exact moment the minute
tone on the WWV station began.

I've noticed, however, that after a few hours the minute clicks over
before the tone, and in fact after a day, up to 4 or 5 seconds. Has
anyone else noticed the G5's clock not being very accurate?

You can't expect a quartz controlled computer clock to maintain atomic
time accuracy.

Every time you startup or restart you can have the computer query an
Internet time server. If you keep the computer on all the time open the
date and time control panel and un-check then check the "set date and
time automatically" to get the computer to update from the server.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California