Old January 9th 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Receiver News: Grundig Satellite 750

On Jan 8, 11:28*am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

dxAce wrote:
Looks kinda retro to me.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

* Looks like better build quality than Sat 800, but IIRC, it's a Tecsun
build.

The Sat 800 was the biggest pile of junk I've ever bought.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Didn't Eton/Grundig go through several rounds of product delays
following excited new product announcements with the 800? Maybe I'm
thinking of another model.
Old January 9th 08, 01:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radioguy wrote:

On Jan 8, 11:28 am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

dxAce wrote:
Looks kinda retro to me.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Looks like better build quality than Sat 800, but IIRC, it's a Tecsun
build.

The Sat 800 was the biggest pile of junk I've ever bought.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Didn't Eton/Grundig go through several rounds of product delays
following excited new product announcements with the 800? Maybe I'm
thinking of another model.

Seems as though they did that with the E1, which was originally planned as the 900. I don't recall whether they had the same
troubles with the 800 or not.

Old January 9th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default The New Grundig Satellite 750 Radio - What's the Tuning Resolutionfor Shortwave AM and SSB ?

On Jan 8, 11:39*am, Radioguy wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:25*pm, dxAce wrote:

Looks kinda retro to me.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

- Certainly looks like an interesting radio. *
- The real signal meter and rotatable AM antenna
- definitely harken back to classics like the RF2200. *

- ? Wonder what the tuning resolution is. ?

Anyone Got The Answer as to the "Tuning Resolution"
of the new Grundig Satellit 750 Radio for both :
Shortwave AM __ kHz ?
Shortwave SSB __ Hz ?

Hello - Someone get on the Telephone and give Eton Corp
[Grundig Radio of North America] a Call and Get-the-4-1-1
on the Tuning Resolution of the Grundig Satellit 750 Radio.

- A $300 price tag will require more than good sounding audio.

i want to know ~ RHF
Old January 9th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 9, 8:08*am, dxAce wrote:
Radioguy wrote:
On Jan 8, 11:28 am, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in ...

dxAce wrote:
Looks kinda retro to me.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

* Looks like better build quality than Sat 800, but IIRC, it's a Tecsun
build.

The Sat 800 was the biggest pile of junk I've ever bought.

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Didn't Eton/Grundig go through several rounds of product delays
following excited new product announcements with the 800? *Maybe I'm
thinking of another model.

Seems as though they did that with the E1, which was originally planned as the 900. I don't recall whether they had the same
troubles with the 800 or not.- Hide quoted text -

That's right - the production date kept getting pushed off for the
900.
Old January 9th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 7, 6:25*pm, dxAce wrote:

Looks kinda retro to me.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

- Certainly looks like an interesting radio. *
- The real signal meter and rotatable AM antenna
- definitely harken back to classics like the RF2200. *

- ? Wonder what the tuning resolution is. ?

Anyone Got The Answer as to the "Tuning Resolution"
of the new Grundig Satellit 750 Radio for both :
Shortwave AM __ kHz ?
Shortwave SSB __ Hz ?

Hello - Someone get on the Telephone and give Eton Corp
[Grundig Radio of North America] a Call and Get-the-4-1-1
on the Tuning Resolution of the Grundig Satellit 750 Radio.

- A $300 price tag will require more than good sounding audio.

i want to know ~ RHF
*.

Also, it has plenty of daggone knobs and buttons - I wonder if it has
S-AM? (I doubt it, but you never know...). A passband tuning? Decent
RF Gain and attenuators? Most important of all, darn good
selectivity?

Bruce Jensen

Old January 9th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The brochure

http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/conte...tellite750.pdf

Old January 9th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
3D 3D is offline

On Jan 9, 12:57 am, RHF wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:04 pm, 3D wrote:

On Jan 7, 3:34 pm, dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Looks kinda retro to me.
I kinda like the looks of most any receiver that has a real signal strength
meter these days.

Certainly agree on the real S meter, and I do like the retro looks.
Now if we can get the radio to smell like a tube rig........someone
should make a candle that smells like a vintage tube receiver.

Dave

Just put an old Tube Rig under the Table and leave it on 24/7;
pretty soon your Ham Shack will smell like some Ham has
been Cooking in his own juices all day long. ) ~ RHF
.

Not a bad idea! I would need to find some poor performer that I don't
mind burning up the tubes on. BTW....I think I am already cooking in
my own juices! ;-)

3D
Old January 10th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Grundig Satellit 750 Debuts in March 2008 -PTWBR-

On Jan 8, 4:53*pm, RHF wrote:
On Jan 8, 3:09*pm, "Sanjaya" wrote:

"BLRADIOLABS" wrote in message

Satellit lovers....

Hey fellas....want to see it TODAY....then head to the CES in Las
Vegas....it's there!!!

Here it is...

*http://gizmodo.com:80/341112/grundig...shortwave-radi....

Tecsun S-2000 (aka Eton/Grundig Satellit 750...nice radio....the main
topic the last few days on my Grundig Satellit group (Grundig Satellit
International / Google Groups)

Mike P (BLRADIOLABS)
---------------------------

- Hi Mike,
-
- Thanks for the link to the pictures. I noticed this in the text..
- "There's also an aux in for audio input."
-
- Shouldn't that say "output" instead of "input"?
- Yes, I know Brian Lam wrote the piece,
- but I'm just curious about that quote.

Sanjaya - "See What You Can See !"

Check-Out the Grundig Satellit 750 Radio's Photo Galleryhttp://gizmodo.com/photogallery/etonsatellit750
-webhost- GizMoDo.Com

On the Front Left-Side next to the Earphone Jack is
a "Line-In" Jack. * Photo : 3rd Row # 1http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/etonsatellit750/1000422269

On the Back Left-Side {Right-Side-Front} there are
Left {White} and Right {Red} "Line-Out" RCA Jacks
plus the 12 kHz IF Output for DRM Signal Processing.
* Photo : 4rd Row # 1http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/etonsatellit750/1000422229

On the Left-Side {Facing Front} there are the External
AM/SW and FM/AIR Antenna Input Jacks and a Pair
of HI-Z Antenna Terminals.http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/eton...750/1000422221

see what you can see - i see satellit images ~ RHF

Grundig Satellit 750 Debuts in March 2008
http://www.passband.com/grundig-sate...-debuts-march/
-source- Pasport To World Band Radio (PTWBR)
PTWBR - http://www.passband.com/

Grundig Satellit 750 Radio
'portable' AM/FM-Stereo / Shortwave with SSB (Single Side Band)
and / Aircraft Band Radio
http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/conte...tellite750.pdf

PTWBR - Receiver and Antenna News
http://www.passband.com/category/receivernews/
Updates to Passport to World Band Radio

~ RHF
Old January 10th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

Default New Grundig Satellit 750 Radio -better than- Eton E1 Radio andSangean ATS-909 !

OK so from this can we 'infer' that the new Grundig Satellit 750
Radio
performs in some respects better than the the Eton E1 Radio and the
Sangean ATS-909 Radio ?

We can infer the someone posting on DXing.info as "Jin Changge" is
making some pretty tall claims regarding the Satellit 750, and
offering nothing substantive to back it up.

And sure, potentially better than the Eton E1 in some respects: it
has an RF gain control, a rotatable MW antenna, and a cell phone
charger. Oh, there's also the inclusion of the Air Band...a great
cure for insomnia.

Plus the Eton E1 Radio is considered to perform better than
the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio in most aspects.

Sure, in most but not all respects, the Eton E1 performs equal to or
better than the Satellit 800.

-ergo- The new Grundig Satellit 750 Radio should also perform
better than the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Radio in most
aspects.

???? Now there's some flawed reasoning. Try again.

A look at the specs sheet and the front panel of the radio certainly
doesn't suggest that this radio is going to offer superior performance
to the Satellit 800 or the Eton E1.

Sure, the MW antenna is a plus. Perhaps it might offer superior audio
to the E1, but I'm guessing it won't be on a par with the Satellit
800. Looks like it'll have only two bandwidth filter settings, as
opposed to three on the Sat 800 and E1. No indication of passband
tuning. No indication of synchronous selectable sideband. I'd be
surprised if it offers the 10 Hz tuning resolution that the E1
offers. Interestingly, the Universal website makes no mention of the
"advanced DSP technology" touted on the Eton webpage for the Sat 750.
I'd be really interested to hear from the folks who've dropped by the
Eton booth at CES 2008 as to what the Eton folks have to say about the
DSP technology that's incorporated into the Sat 750.

It looks like a potentially interesting radio. And it could well be
that this will emerge as a portable of choice for the MW DXers, given
that some though has obviously gone into making this radio attractive
to that segment of the market. But looking over the pictures, I'd be
surprised if this radio offers performance approaching that of either
the Sat 800 or Eton E1. And perhaps this is why that opted to choose
a model number designation that's below 800 rather than above.

The rotatable ferrite bar antenna, cool styling and the potential for
pleasant audio could prove nice advantages for this radio. I'd like
to see some elaboration on the "advanced DSP technology" that is
purportedly incorporated into this radio.

I'm guessing that in some time from now, Eton is going to re-introduce
the Eton E1 as the Grundig Satellit 1000 or G1. In looking through
the Eton website, it's interesting to note how the offerings under the
Eton branding are shrinking, while those under the Grundig name are
expanding.

In any case, I hope the Sat 750 proves to be a top-notch performer
(and one that sees significant mark-downs!).

Regards,

Junius
Old January 10th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jan 8, 2:44*pm, dxAce wrote:
Radioguy wrote:
On Jan 7, 6:25 pm, dxAce wrote:
Looks kinda retro to me.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0750.html

Certainly looks like an interesting radio. *The real signal meter and
rotatable AM antenna definitely harken back to classics like the
RF2200. *Wonder what the tuning resolution is. *A $300 price tag will
require more than good sounding audio.

Hopefully Universal will have some additional info up on it soon.

I'm actually looking forward to the 750 and hoping it delivers good
performance with well thought out controls. A through review will
help to separate some of the nonsense (negative and positive) that
surrounds this latest radio. The Eton E1 was a fine radio in many
respects, but I think it suffered from feature overload. The
manufacturer focused electronic controls but scrimped on the AM
antenna. I'll probably look for the Chinese branded version of the
750 since that name is truer to it's roots.

There is an unfortunate amount of unsubstantiated salesmans hype about
the 750 radio being repeated by one individual on Dxing.info. It's so
incessant I wonder if he is not connected to either Eton or the
manufacturer.