Old April 5th 04, 01:17 AM
oan

Default sony icf sw-77 or grundig satellite 800

Dear friends,
I know you are fed up with these kind of "this or that" questions.
But, if you spare a couple of seconds to answer, I'll be very happy. I
searched the archives and other resources from net, i downloaded the
user's manuels of both radios. It seems that satellite has more
specialities but it is unreliable. You have to be lucky if you choose
a satellite800, because, some users say they had unending factory
problems with their product. I live in Istanbul and I will order it
from a friend who lives in US (because it is the half price in US).
But, obviosly, I will have problems with guarentee. So, I need a
stable product. Also, I couldn't decide which radio has better
specialities.
I already have a sony icf 7600D. But, it is not satisfactory for the
purposes i use it. I need a stronger receiver. I want to listen to
the weak local radio stations of central asia and siberia which
usually uses 49 and 60 meter bands. I don't like to listen to the
amateurs. It2s not a pro for me to have a radio with a good ham
receiving abilities.
I know, some of you will advice me table top receivers like icom R75.
But, I don't have more then 500 dollars for this radio.
thank you very much for sparing your valuable time.
regards, oan
Old April 5th 04, 03:58 AM
B Banton

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:14:22 -0400, Dan wrote:

In article ,
(oan) wrote:

Dear friends,
I know you are fed up with these kind of "this or that" questions.
But, if you spare a couple of seconds to answer, I'll be very happy. I
searched the archives and other resources from net, i downloaded the
user's manuels of both radios. It seems that satellite has more
specialities but it is unreliable. You have to be lucky if you choose
a satellite800, because, some users say they had unending factory
problems with their product. I live in Istanbul and I will order it
from a friend who lives in US (because it is the half price in US).

I would go for the Satellit 800. The early ones had quality control
issues, now they seem to be pretty stable. Since you are having a US
friend order it, he can check it out before he ships it to you.

If I had $500 to spend, the 800 is definitely the radio I would be
getting. I already have a 650, and just picked up a 700 on eBay. I
may yet get an 800 if I can find a good deal on one.

Have you considered a used 700? It will likely perform as well - if
not better - than a new 800, and will cost considerably less.

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig Satellit 650, Satellit 700, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)

A 700 for "considerably" less than a 800? You from our planet?
Old April 5th 04, 04:02 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

(oan) wrote:

[...]

Really... good condition 700's are going for at least what an 800 sells for,
and I've seen NIB 700's (I have one, and have considered putting it on ebay)
go for in excess of $1200...

Old April 5th 04, 04:56 AM
Mark S. Holden

oan wrote:
[...]

You don't have to spend $500 to get a table top radio - especially if
you don't mind buying a used radio.

If you're patient, odds are you'll be able to find a used Drake R8 in
good condition on ebay that's in your price range.

You might also consider a ten-tec rx320 or rx320d. These go for about
$200-225 used, and $325 new. It needs some sort of computer to control
it, but it's a champ when it comes to bang for the buck.

The Lowe HF-150 is a "tabletop/portatop" that is generally available
used in your price range - but the laws of supply and demand are putting
it in the same general price range as the R8.

Likewise, the Palstar R30 might be a radio worth looking at. New ones
are a bit out of your price range, but used ones should be in the ball park.

All of these radios are considerably smaller than the Sat 800.

My experience is most people take good care of table top radios.

Good luck.

Old April 5th 04, 07:11 AM
DeWayne

You might also want to consider the Super ATS-909 at :

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/re...s/super909.php

It's $330 USD.

DeWayne

om...

Old April 5th 04, 01:33 PM
Dan

In article ,
B Banton wrote:

A 700 for "considerably" less than a 800? You from our planet?

Yes. I just bought one for $350. A new 800 goes for $500.

Any questions?

Old April 5th 04, 01:35 PM
Dan

In article ,
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

Really... good condition 700's are going for at least what an 800 sells for,
and I've seen NIB 700's (I have one, and have considered putting it on ebay)
go for in excess of $1200...

Well, a NIB one is clearly going to charge a premium price. However,
good to excellent used ones are going in the $300 to $400 range. I
just bought one for $350. New 800s go for $500. IMO, $150 is
"considerably less".

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig Satellit 650, Satellit 700, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)

GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 09:37 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM