Old January 19th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Harp Moonbounce

Last night I found out that my roof mounted vertical does a good job
for 99% of the
signals I want, but the moon's elevation was maybe too high. Tonight I
intend to use
several antennas. My wife and some friends erected some test antennas.

WL1030 15' high on a fiber glass ladder located in an adjacent vacant
lot.

40M dipole, more like an inverted V, with the main lobe aimed where
the moon will be.

An older version of one of Dallas Lankford's active dipoles in the
horizontal plane.

And I will still have my Dallas's micro active antenna mounted on the
roof ridgeline.

It will be interesting to see which, if any, antenna wins!

It was very odd to hear the 2 second CW tone followed ~2 seconds later
by a much
weaker tone that was the signal from the moon. I never thought I would
be listening to
moon bounce on ~7MHz! Tonight I intend to record it all on my Zen V
Plus with WWV
on the right channel and HARP on the left. I will try all of the
receivers here to see if
any has any particular advantage.

Terry