Old February 1st 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna Balun question

i have a 80 foot longwire, attached to the center conductor of a coax
which then leads into my house and to my reveiver (NRD 545). The coax
shield is grounded at the entry point into my house..

I have no balun between the longwire and my coax. So my question is
would a 9:1 balun give me any SIGNIFICANT improvement in signal level
or in noise reduction?
Old February 2nd 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I'm sure your specific results may vary, but I can tell you that when I
added an RF Systems MLB (Magnetic Longwire Balun) between my long wire and
the coax, the results were dramatic. Not cheap - about $65 as I remember -
but worth every penny. I have two antennas, both long wires, and have one
on both. The improvement is huge.

Old February 2nd 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2 feb, 00:00, Neil wrote:
i have a 80 foot longwire, attached to the center conductor of a coax
which then leads into my house and to my reveiver (NRD 545). The coax
shield is grounded at the entry point into my house..

I have no balun between the longwire and my coax. So my question is
would a 9:1 balun give me any SIGNIFICANT improvement in signal level
or in noise reduction?

Hello,

On the longer wavelength ( 150m), where the total impedance of the
wire is far above 50 Ohms (absolute value), you will get more signal.
It does not guarantee better S/N ratio as external noise may increase
as much as the signal.

I believe, but not tested it, that on the shorter wavelength signal
can both go up or down, as at several frequencies the wire itself will
be closer to 50 Ohms. For reducing noise, you may experiment with
changing the ground connection (if strong interference is generated in
your house and gets into your antenna via the ground connection).

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Old February 3rd 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default What About Using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with a Longwire Antennaand a Ground at the Radio Shack ?

-
- I have no balun between the longwire and my coax.
- So my question is would a 9:1 balun give me any SIGNIFICANT
- improvement in signal level or in noise reduction?

NEIL - The Answer would be : No and Yes ~ RHF

Generally Speaking using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with
a Longwire Antenna and a Ground at the Radio Shack :
[ The so-called "Magnetic Longwire Balun" (MLB) ]

1st - "No" - The peak Signal Levels may be less on some
Frequencies -but- the Average Signal Level will be equal
or higher across all Frequencies : 500 kHz to 30 MHz.

2nd - "Yes" - The Average Noise Level will be lower across
all Frequencies : 500 kHz to 30 MHz.

3rd - "Results" - Good Signal Levels and Lower Noise result
in a Better Signal-to-Noise Ratio which means that the general
Listenability of your Signals coming from the Antenna to your
Radio / Receiver Improves "Significantly".

PLUS Three Low Noise Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna
Messages to Read -by- John Doty :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bc6a2bf8acc12d
* SWL Longwire
* Low Noise Antenna Connection
* Grounding Is Key To Good Reception

That Something Extra : For Basic Shortwave Radio Listening
(SWL) -Think- Inverted "L" Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...0a3255b9ad5367

-ps- Telamon be sure to Count* this as another one
of my 'Clueless Posts' -cause- IT IS ! ;-{
Plus Extra Credit for the : Cut, Copy and Paste Stuff. )
* Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup Readers :
Please I Need Your Votes ! -and- I Want Your Votes !
In this Weeks Race for the RRS "Clueless Troll" Award.

Old February 8th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

(SWL) -Think- Inverted "L" Antennahttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio..shortwave/msg/fa0a3255b9ad5367

-ps- Telamon be sure to Count* this as another one
of my 'Clueless Posts' -cause- IT IS ! ;-{
Plus Extra Credit for the : Cut, Copy and Paste Stuff. )
* Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup Readers :
Please I Need Your Votes ! -and- I Want Your Votes !
In this Weeks Race for the RRS "Clueless Troll" Award.
*.
*.
yes - a 9:1 matching transformer can transform your shortwave
radio listening experience - hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
*.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
*.
Shortwave Radio Listener QSL Reports News & Info Grouphttp://groups.google..com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
Read & Post Your Shortwave Listener (SWL) Reception Reports
SWL-QSL-REPORTS =http://tinyurl.com/3awlyr
*.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING =http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
*.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
*|
*|
*|
/ \

Telamon,

This Message and Thread Needed both
Your Vast Knowledge and Great Expertise.

but alas you were once again 'mia' ~ RHF

-ps- that's 16 for me and 0 for you

4:1 balun question Mike Coslo Antenna 21 May 5th 06 01:32 PM
TV Antenna Balun Question puns Antenna 9 June 7th 05 05:35 AM
antenna tuner balun question Bob Miller Antenna 19 June 5th 05 04:21 PM
4:1 balun question PDRUNEN Antenna 1 January 23rd 04 10:39 AM