Old February 4th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Default Anyone know this mode/protocol (audio clip)?

Filename describes freq./date/time:

http://www.cybertheque.org/ham/audio...0408_0415Z.mp3

Anyone know mode/protocol? (seems to be some sort of MFSK with
sync headers?)

Michael
Old February 4th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

Filename describes freq./date/time:

http://www.cybertheque.org/ham/audio...0408_0415Z.mp3

Anyone know mode/protocol? (seems to be some sort of MFSK with
sync headers?)

3.5835 MHz is in the 80m ham band.
They have a couple MFSK modes.
Your recording sounds different though.
What mode was your radio in, USB? AM?

Sorry, forgot to mention CW, 2kHz filter. I have a collection of
digital mode audio samples but nothing quite matches; I'd like to
add samples of esoteric modes like Hell*, THROB, OLIVIA, etc. but
would need to do it over the air since some of these involve FM,
PSK, SSB, etc. and can't be recorded directly from an encoder.

Michael
Old February 6th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:

"msg" wrote in message

Filename describes freq./date/time:

http://www.cybertheque.org/ham/audio...0408_0415Z.mp3

Anyone know mode/protocol? (seems to be some sort of MFSK with
sync headers?)

3.5835 MHz is in the 80m ham band.
They have a couple MFSK modes.
Your recording sounds different though.
What mode was your radio in, USB? AM?

Sorry, forgot to mention CW, 2kHz filter. I have a collection of

Hmm. A real CW mode is usually narrower than 2 kHz.
With a 2 kHz width it is almost a SSB mode. Is your
CW mode with a tunable BFO?

Bandpass centered on the tuning freq: CW; filter selected:
2 kHz

Usually I find USB with a 2.5 or 3 kHz width best for
identifying signals.

digital mode audio samples but nothing quite matches; I'd like to
add samples of esoteric modes like Hell*, THROB, OLIVIA, etc. but

Here are a couple sites that have a lot of examples for identifying signals:
http://signals.taunus.de/DIG_introd.htm
http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/

Thanks, I'll look; some time ago I fetched samples from a number of sites and
aggregated them into a local directory. I checked against those and found
nothing with the same duty cycle (protocol) but clearly the modulation is MFSK.

would need to do it over the air since some of these involve FM,
PSK, SSB, etc. and can't be recorded directly from an encoder.

Michael

What do you mean "can't be recorded directly from an encoder"?

PSK, FSK modulation intended to drive a tuning element, etc.

Michael