Old February 8th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default New radio in South Africa

On Feb 7, 11:27*pm, wrote:
I am getting another RX, an Icom IC-7700
see brochure at:http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic7700/IC-7700_pre.pdf
also a nice 15 minute movie athttp://www.icom.co.jp:80/world/topics/ic-7700movie/index.html
it should be here at the end of February.
Of course this is an irrational decision, as there is nothing wrong
with my
present radio, but I figured I'm on the uphill now and might as well
spoil
myself while I can. It has two disadvantages though:- it can't be
taken on a
DXpedition as it weighs a hefty 23 kgs/50 lbs, and that's just too
heavy for
me to handle.
Also, it is mains only (has no 12v DC power), so it can't go to
Seefontein powerless DXpedition site either.

I was hoping to sell my existing Icom to help fund the purchase, but
now
find I've got to hang onto it for the DXpeditions.

When my pals read that they were horrified at this extravagent
purchase:Vince wrote:

"So is that Rx better than the one you have already? What made you buy
another, and one that appears to be quite similar to your existing
rig..Weren't you tempted to get a nice small AOR7030 plus
perhaps..(perfect for lugging up that hill at Jongensgat ;-)) Just
curious".

I replied:
The 7700 is similar to a 756Pro3, but the difference is like upgrading
from
a Merc C320 to an S600. It's all about more convenient and user
friendly
features.
The 7700 has a higher IP3 point, roofing filter selection down to 3
Khz,
firmware upgrades and a much bigger/better LCD screen for tracking
that
faint DX. Plus a host of other features.

I am not really expecting to get any DX on the 7700 that I wouldn't
have got
on the old one. It's more about how you get the
If we drive from Joburg to Cape town in a 70's VW Beetle (Gary's Frog)
you
are going to have a tough journey. If you go in Vince's VW Passat
(Drake
R8A) you are going to have a much easier journey. If you go in John's
Merc
C320 (756Pro3) you are going up in great comfort and ease. When you go
in a
Merc S600 (The new Icom IC-7700) you are going up in supreme comfort
and
luxury with awesome individual climate control, a studio sound system,
a sat
Nav system and every conceivable comfort and convenience. We are all
going
to get to our destination at the same time, but the difference is HOW
we get
there..............

So Vince, it's not a rational decision, there is nothing at all wrong
with
the existing 756Pro3, I just want to upgrade and spend the children's
inheritance...........
As for a 7030+, I can't stand the thing. I tried one for a month and
was
glad to give it back. I like a BIG screen and a nice case with lots of
knobs
to twiddle, hence no thought of an SDR like the Perseus, which is the
way
all the other serious MW DXer's are going.

Vince replied:
Fully in agreement with your decision John, go spend that moolah - you
can't
take it with you when you go..!!

A VW Passat hey?!! Sheesh I feel insulted ;-) I thought of my Drake
R8A as a
90's Chevy Corvette, perhaps a little outdated but still great on
performance but lacking some of the more modern features such as GPS,
aircon
& 4 valves per cyclinder. Just a huge V8 with no frills!!..

Interestingly, the IC-7700 is going to sell in South Africa for $4300,
whilst the expected price in the U.S.A. is $6000

On another tack, a lot of my U.S. MW DX pals are joining the
"ultralight"
craze. The most popular of these radio's seems to be the Sony CRF-59.
It is
FM/AM only and sells at Amazon for $15.

My friend Guy Atkin's in WA sent me the following interesting info:

"King of the hill in this newly-named category of receivers is the
Sony
SRF-59. Most DXers have bought them for $15-20, although I found mine
for
$10 + $3 shipping. I only got mine last night, so most of my knowledge
of
this radio is "hearsay". However, it has MW performance that will
knock your
socks off!! This model from Sony is one of only three (that we know
0f)
which has an innovative, patented "radio on a chip" integrated
circuit.
Evidently the circuit on the chip is perhaps like the old "TRF" high
performance AM radios of the 1960s/1970s, but accomplished on a modern
IC.
Even the selectivity of the radio is done within the chip itself...
and the
SRF-59 is HIGHLY selective.

The person who seems to have started this craze (at least amongst the
IRCA
MW club) is fellow Puyallup resident Gary DeBock. He has even received
Japanese TPs on the little radio, from right here in Puyallup! John
Bryant
is the keeper of "firsts," a list that documents ultra-light radio
accomplishments such as "first to hear a TA on an ultra-light radio".

A lot of info on these fun little radios is found on thewww.dxer.ca
Web
site. Check out: *http://www.dxer.ca/content/view/55/1/"
________________________________

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whiphttp://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

JP - Enjoy Using Your New Rig - The Results that you get with
your Equipment : Tell me that You Deserve The Best ! ) ~ RHF
Old February 9th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for your kind words RHF.
I always enjoy your posts.
Can't understand why Telemon (whose posts I also usually enjoy) is
currently slagging you off?

Old February 9th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 8, 7:31 pm, Telamon
wrote:
[ Concerning RHF ]
-
1 - I don't like his style.
-
- I find all the punctuation confusing and difficult to read.
-
2 - I don't like the fact he constantly refers to yahoo groups
- for answers instead of posting an answer.
-
3 - I don't like the fact that he posts from Google, which
- automatically munges all addresses in his posts.
-
4 - I don't like the fact that he replies with dozens of links
- some appropriate and some not.
-
5 - I don't like that he responds to all spam in the news group,
- which I have blocked but since he responds to all of it I get
- to see it anyway.
-
6 - I don't like the fact that even though you point out to
- him that his behavior is annoying he won't stop.
-
- All pretty clueless behavior.
-
- I hope that answers your question.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California

Dang Telamon - Six "I don't like"s in one Post - Wow !

You are getting down right OCD : You can disrespect Me
all You want to Telamon 24/7 -but- There are a dozen or
so Readers/Posters here on RRS that you should out of
the "Respect" that You Claim for Yourself : Show some
respect to; and "JP" is one of those.

Take this back to Your : "The RRS no-spin clueless factor report"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...66507643728cee
thread and STOP POLUTING THE NEWSGROUP !
FYI - You Are Acting Like Me and
One of Me per Newsgroup is Enough.

fwiw - google exists... so learn to live with it !
-and- if you are reading this : then i exist too . . .
-ps- reality sucks - grow-up :-{ ~ RHF

South Africa On Now SW4ever Shortwave 1 November 7th 07 09:20 AM
Radio Sonder Grense-3320 KHZ, Republic of South Africa RHF Shortwave 0 October 14th 07 10:31 AM
DXpedition in South Africa John Plimmer Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 12:42 AM
South Africa! Alun L. Palmer Policy 216 March 18th 05 11:19 AM
South Africa - bid to write off Capital Radio costs Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 October 20th 04 03:45 AM