Old February 16th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Emergency SW radio recommendation

I am new to SW and really have no idea what to get. I am really just
looking for one to use in an emergency situation but I would teach
myself how to use it. Something that would let me listen in on all
kinds of possible transmissions. I would like something that is not
too large (easily fit in a backpack). Also able to run off of
batteries.

What do you really get when you step up from a hand held to a base
station type unit? I imagine it is power. Do those require a license
to operate?

Thank you!
Karl
Old February 16th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

karlman wrote:
I am new to SW and really have no idea what to get. I am really just
looking for one to use in an emergency situation but I would teach
myself how to use it. Something that would let me listen in on all
kinds of possible transmissions. I would like something that is not
too large (easily fit in a backpack). Also able to run off of
batteries.

What do you really get when you step up from a hand held to a base
station type unit? I imagine it is power. Do those require a license
to operate?

Thank you!
Karl

I'd use my AOR AR8200MK3B (as long as I was staying off airplanes and
inside the USA).
Old February 17th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

-
- What do you really get when you step up from a hand held
- to a base station type unit?
- I imagine it is power.
- Do those require a license to operate?
-
- Thank you!
- Karl
-

Karl,

Are you simply looking for a Battery powered AM/FM
Shortwave Radio to be able to Listen-to in Emergencies
when the Power goes "Off" ?

Sony ICF- SW7600GR AM/FM-Stereo Shortwave Radio
[ Multi-Band World Band Receiver ]
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190198668823
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html

Kaito KA2100 AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ250215973872
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/2100.html

-OR- Are you looking for a Battery powered Two-Way Radio
to be able to Use in Emergencies when the Power goes "Off" ?

Midland GXT850VP4 22-Channel 26-Mile GMRS/FRS 2-Way Radio
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ350026230439
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0RPY4/
About - Personal Communications Services
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/frs/pcomm.html

Cobra 148GTL 40 Channel SSB/AM CB Radio NEW!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ290207327141
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...adio/4634.html
Home AC Power Supply / Car-Truck 12VDC Battery

-or- may be both - hope this helps ~ RHF