Old April 30th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Default ( OT) Save Windows XP

Opus- wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:25:39 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

www.ubuntu.com

Been there done that. Didn't like it. Slowed my computer right down
and a terrible convoluted mess to try and install anything outside of
the cult offerings.

The cult offerings are quite expansive.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/

Odd, most people report a marked improvement in performance, especially
if using Xubuntu.
Old May 1st 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I paid $1,440.00 for my Velocity Micro ProMagix desktop computer.I never
use my computer to register for anything, I never use it to go to
newsgroups, I never use it to go guest books.I never use it for emailing
anybody.I never use it to play around on the internet.I never drag my
computer around in the mud.I only use it for some things WebTV can not
do.As long as WebTV is still alive and kicking,,, WebTV works just fine
for me.Reading online newspapers around the World, reading online
science and technology websites.That's all I care about using the
internet for.I dont care anything about all of those fancy bells and
whistles at all.
I have to watch the Big Joe Polka Show on DirecTV now.Turn up the Sound.
cuhulin

Old May 1st 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:23:45 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:25:39 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

www.ubuntu.com

Been there done that. Didn't like it. Slowed my computer right down
and a terrible convoluted mess to try and install anything outside of
the cult offerings.

The cult offerings are quite expansive.

Nothing exciting there. Many things depend on your particular GUI.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/

Odd, most people report a marked improvement in performance, especially
if using Xubuntu.

No performance advantage whatsoever. I also found it to be a
convoluted mess to install many applications. I tried many different
versions with different computers. I had a dual boot setup for a
number of months. I kept going back to Windows XP. I tried Ubuntu,
Mandrake and Red Hat. I didn't give up easily or lightly.

Old May 1st 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:25:39 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

www.ubuntu.com
Been there done that. Didn't like it. Slowed my computer right down
and a terrible convoluted mess to try and install anything outside of
the cult offerings.

The cult offerings are quite expansive.

Nothing exciting there. Many things depend on your particular GUI.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/

Odd, most people report a marked improvement in performance, especially
if using Xubuntu.

No performance advantage whatsoever. I also found it to be a
convoluted mess to install many applications. I tried many different
versions with different computers. I had a dual boot setup for a
number of months. I kept going back to Windows XP. I tried Ubuntu,
Mandrake and Red Hat. I didn't give up easily or lightly.

Whatever. I felt a great sense of liberation when I ditched the
uberparanoid snarky world of Windows.

Old May 1st 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote:
[...]

I too have a dual Boot machine; XP / Ubuntu..

-I enjoy having the Unix window for commands;

- Just like at work !

caveats;

there are still some problems if you stress things like graphics, ;
- Hence the recovery mode . -

- And since my machine is dual boot, I can still go over to teh XP
side & search around for solutins.

I have been testing importing different applications to Ubuntu from XP;
\\- and have had surprisingly good results !

For most Users, and those on a tight budget, Ubuntu can do just as
well as windows

- And it's FREE !

Old May 1st 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I do use my computer.I have been called an idiot before.
cuhulin

Old May 2nd 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

harvey wrote:
Opus- wrote:
[...]

I've never crashed my Ubuntu boxes. If I did, I'd use a live CD of
Puppy Linux, to poke around.

And it's indeed free, in more ways than one.