Old February 20th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default dxAce

You have GOT to come back.Everybody is leaving since you left.You know
what? Smart people never say goodbye, they just up and leave
cuhulin.

Old February 21st 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

I used a kill file for a long time and I watched the people that were
worth reading leave the news group. Many left because of RHF.

He may be an irritant, but he's still infinitely better than the hate
mongering name callers.

On a radio related note, I recently purchased a lightly used Yaesu
vr5000. It's really a mixed bag. On the MW band, I've got to use the
attenuate function or just about everything not local is over ridden by
noise.

Some aspects of the set are pure genius, others should have been
reconsidered.

Any memories of helpful sites or searches?

mike

Old February 21st 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article zp6vj.45664$C61.2509@edtnps89, m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I used a kill file for a long time and I watched the people that were
worth reading leave the news group. Many left because of RHF.

He may be an irritant, but he's still infinitely better than the hate
mongering name callers.

I'm sure that the worthwhile contributers to the news group didn't care
for the name callers either but I know for sure RHF drove them off
because they said as much.

On a radio related note, I recently purchased a lightly used Yaesu
vr5000. It's really a mixed bag. On the MW band, I've got to use the
attenuate function or just about everything not local is over ridden by
noise.

Some aspects of the set are pure genius, others should have been
reconsidered.

Any memories of helpful sites or searches?

I'm not familiar with this radio. There seems to be a number of sites
that have information on the set.

This has some of the specifications
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/vr5000.htm

You might want to read this page as besides being a review the author
gives you some operating tips on this receiver. People also have
comments further down this page with details I'm sure you will find
interesting.
http://www.ticon.net/~n9ewo/vr5000.html

Regarding your complaint about the AMBCB performance is typical of a
radio without an internal loop stick antenna. The internal loop sticks
generally perform better than erected wire antennas for local noise to
distant signal levels and according to this radios specifications it is
not that sensitive on the band in question being 4uV in the 0.5 to
1.8MHz. I suggest an outboard loop antenna of some type for AMBCB. You
can experiment with different types. The easiest would be a simple wire
loop with the plane on the loop in the direction you want to receive
something like 20 to 50 feet in length. A smaller tuned loop antenna
would probably be a better choice. Spending more money for an amplified
external loop stick antenna would be another option.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old February 21st 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Douche Bag wrote:
On Feb 20, 9:29 pm, "bdenley" wrote:
Amen to that. This group used to have a lot of good advice for new and
seasoned SWLers. It has turned into a cesspool over the last three years.
I do admit that killfiling has helped but I almost dread looking here
lately. It would be nice to see some positive posting about this great
hobby.

--
Brian Denleyhttp://home.comcast.net/~b.denley/index.html

"Janitor Boy Jr" wrote in messagenews:mw1vj.19746$eg3.16762@trndny05...

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:15:35 -0600, msg tossed this out for all to see:
I would like to see this group return to a no-nonsense on-topic and
technical orientation
snip
the ongoing flame wars, ad hominem attacks and off-topic tripe [that]
has ruined the group
well put.
my idiot filter gets a workout here.
--
~Mike~
45°7'58"N 89°9'5"W

THIS IS NOT A GROUP. IT'S USENET!

It's a usenet newsgroup, no?

Old February 21st 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:

THIS IS NOT A GROUP. IT'S USENET!

It's a usenet newsgroup, no?

...depends on what your definition of 'is' is.

mike
Old February 21st 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : ? Google Groups -and- UseNet ? + NewsReaders + Netiquette + .. .

On Feb 21, 8:45*am, m II wrote:
dave wrote:

- - - THIS IS NOT A GROUP. IT'S USENET!

- - It's a usenet newsgroup, no?

- ..depends on what your definition of 'is' is.

- mike

Mike [M II] - It 'is' What It "IS" [.]
-and- That -is- THAT ! ~ RHF

? Google Groups -and- UseNet ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Groups
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

NewsReaders - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_client

Netiquette - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Good NetKeeping Seal of Approval {GNKSA}
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Ne...al_of_Approval

Hey DXace Burr Shortwave 3 December 18th 07 01:36 PM
DxAce. Drifter Shortwave 8 September 2nd 06 05:14 PM
(OT) dxace Greg Shortwave 1 November 24th 05 03:53 PM
dxace Fred Garvin Shortwave 3 November 19th 05 09:59 PM
DXACE Oh DXACE kmg369 Shortwave 2 March 14th 05 06:44 PM