Old March 2nd 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is it true that iBiquity isn't going to support AM HD beyondwhere it's at now?

On Mar 1, 11:23�pm, RHF wrote:
On Mar 1, 1:37�pm, Rfburns wrote:

Hey Eddie,
Is it true that iBiquity isn't going to support AM HD beyond it's
current miserable, useless state. �So is what we hear - what we get?

jw

RF Burns,

OK - Let me 'clue' you into the "Terces Nalp" by the
US Federal Government {Translation - Secret Plan} :

1 - Expand the new FM "HD" Radio Band down to 76 MHz.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_broadcasting

2 - Sell-Off the old Analog AM/MW Radio Band.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM_broadcasting

The-Bottom-Line : Within 10 Years after the Sell-Off of
the old Analog AM/MW Radio Band there will be 5,000
to 25,000 Pirate AM/MW Radio Stations broadcasting
LIVE on the old Analog AM/MW Radio Band.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_...rate_Radio_USA
[ CBers Gone Berzerk on the AM/MW Radio Band ]

. . . and AM/MW DXers Will Be Going WILD ! ) ~ RHF
�.

"Digital Audio Broadcasting Systems and Their Impact on the
Terrestrial Radio Broadcast Service"

15. We will not establish a deadline for radio stations to convert to
digital broadcasting. Stations may decide if, and when, they will
provide digital service to the public. Several reasons support this
decision. First, unlike television licensees, radio stations are under
no statutory mandate to convert to a digital format. Second, a hard
deadline is unnecessary given that DAB uses an in-band technology that
does not require the allocation of additional spectrum. Thus, the
spectrum reclamation needs that exist for DTV do not exist here.
Moreover, there is no evidence in the record that marketplace forces
cannot propel the DAB conversion forward, and effective markets tend
to provide better solutions than regulatory schemes.

16. iBiquity argues that in the early stages of the transition, the
Commission should favor and protect existing analog signals. It states
that this could be accomplished by limiting the power level and
bandwidth occupancy of the digital carriers in the hybrid mode. At
some point in the future, when the Commission determines there is
sufficient market penetration of digital receivers, iBiquity asserts
that the public interest will be best served by reversing this
presumption to favor digital operations. At that time, broadcasters
will no longer need to protect analog operations by limiting the
digital signal and stations should have the option to implement all-
digital broadcasts. We decline to adopt iBiquity's presumption policy
because it is too early in the DAB conversion process for us to
consider such a mechanism. We find that such a policy, if adopted now,
may have unknown and unintended consequences for a new technology that
has yet to be accepted by the public or widely adopted by the
broadcast industry.

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPA...-15/i15922.htm
Old March 2nd 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

LIVE on the old Analog AM/MW Radio Band.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_...pedia.org/wiki...
[...]

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPA...15/i15922.htm- Hide quoted text -

IBOCcrock,

What Ever Congress and the FCC Giveth :
Congress and the FCC can Taketh Away [.]

15. Translation - If the Public rapidly accepts "HD" Radio :
Then No Dead-Line is Required -however- If the Public
Does Not : A Dead-Line Will Be Established.

16. Translation - There will be both an Orderly :
* Phase-In {Powering-Up} of Digital Mode of
AM/FM Radio Broadcasting
- - - and - - -
* Phase-Out {Powering-Down} of the Analog Mode
of AM/FM Radio Broadcasting

the 1 % 'erp' solution was just a starting point ~ RHF
Old March 3rd 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-IMPA...15922.htm-Hide quoted text -

IBOCcrock,

What Ever Congress and the FCC Giveth :
Congress and the FCC can Taketh Away [.]

15. Translation - If the Public rapidly accepts "HD" Radio :
Then No Dead-Line is Required -however- If the Public
Does Not : A Dead-Line Will Be Established.

16. Translation - There will be both an Orderly :
* Phase-In {Powering-Up} of Digital Mode of
AM/FM Radio Broadcasting
- - - and - - -
* Phase-Out {Powering-Down} of the Analog Mode
Â*of AM/FM Radio Broadcasting

the 1 % 'erp' solution was just a starting point ~ RHF
Â*.- Hide quoted text -

15. Translation - If the Public rapidly accepts "HD" Radio :
Then No Dead-Line is Required -however- If the Public
Does Not : A Dead-Line Will Be Established.

There is no proof of that - it was tried in the UK, and digital radio
still flopped:

"Report: Future Of U.K. Digital Radio May Be Bleak"

"LONDON -- January 30, 2008: A report from Enders Analysis found that
digital audio broadcasting, or DAB, is in trouble due to the high cost
of transmission and slow revenue growth, U.K. newspaper the Guardian
reports."

http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntr...&pt=todaysnews

If they do, it will be the end of terrestrial radio, if it doesn't go
broke first:

"Clear Channel's murky future"

"Sad because eliminating new hires (including sellers), failing to
replace those who leave, stopping all investment in the future, and
halting all advertising and research is the equivalent of saying that
necessity requires us to strangle the goose that lays the golden eggs,
even as the goose is up for sale."

http://www.hear2.com/2008/01/clear-channels.html

All major radio stocks are down 90%. Consumers wil lnever buy HD
radios, even if mandated. No one buys radios anymore, except for us
radio=geeks. AM-HD does not work, so a mandate would make no
difference.
Old March 3rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 1, 11:23�pm, RHF wrote:

On Mar 1, 1:37�pm, Rfburns wrote:

[...]

16. "We find that such a policy, if adopted now, may have unknown and
unintended consequences for a new technology that has yet to be
accepted by the public or widely adopted by the broadcast industry."

HD radios will never approach critical mass - the FCC has stated that
HD has not been accepted by the public and broadcasters FIRST.