Old March 5th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default RP2100 Antenna Hookup

On Mar 4, 8:13*pm, wrote:
Hi,

I have a Redsun RP2100 and have been trying different antenna setups
to try to get reception here in S Korea. *I have had a little success
but it hasn't been great. *I am able to get reception on SW1 but SW2
and SW3 have virtually nothing when I listen at night. *I have a
question about my RP2100. *Recently I attached a longwire antenna to
the radio through the external jack on the back. *There was no
noticeable improvement in reception for SW2 and SW3. *But, when I
changed the switch on the side from external to internal and touched
the whip with my finger suddenly the longwire worked from 10000 -
30000. * If I unplug the longwire from the external jack and continue
touching the whip the reception in gone. *If I connect the longwire
directly to the whip, again the reception is great. *This is all while
the switch is set to internal antenna. *Is the external jack is
broken? *Strangely, I have tried using a small Degen DE31 with the
external jack and the switch set to external and it seems to work(but
not on SW2 & SW3). * My knowledge of antennas is low and perhaps I am
doing something wrong. *I am using 20m of 50 ohm RG-58 coax lead.
Unfortunately I can't get the antenna any closer to my house and
shorten the coax. *I am going to try grounding the antenna next.

On a side note, does anyone know where you can receive service for a
Redsun product? *I have tried writing to many different email
addresses and have had no response.

Thanks for any help
Regards

Garth

Garth,

1 - Question - Are you using the correct External Antenna
Input for the Shortwave Radio Bands ?

The Round Metal "PAL" Jack with a Metal Pin in it's Center
is the Shortwave Radio External Antenna Input for the
Redsun RP2100 Radio.

Photo - PAL Standard Plug used for the External Antenna
Input of many Chinese made Radios.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140138458561
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140138461136

NOTE - The Two Push Terminals [Black and Red] on the
back of the Redsun RP2100 Radio are for the AM/MW
Radio Band.

2 - The "ANTENNA" Switch for "INT" for Internal {Top-Up}
Position and "EXT" for External {Bottom-Down} position.
The "ANTENNA" Switch is the Lower {Bottom} Switch on
the Right Side of the Redsun RP2100 Radio. The Switch
should be in the "Down" position for the External Antenna.

Photos of the Redsun RP2100 Radio :
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140138823638
Take a Look at the 3rd Photo for the Antenna Switch.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...le/2100rs.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...e/2100view.jpg

3 - Question - Are you using a Ground Wire connected
to the Redsun RP2100 Radio's "PAL" External Antenna
Input along with the Wire from the External Long-Wire
Antenna ?

CAUTION -Safety Note- You Should Be Using A Ground
With Any Long-Wire Antenna.

4 - Connecting the PL-259 Plug on the end of your RG-58
Coax Cable to the Radio will usually require some sort of
Adapter between the Coax and Radio.

Universal Radio .Com - Item : SO239-KOK - Order # 1052
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...table/1052.jpg
Description : SO-239 to KOK Antenna Jack Adapter

TIP - On Making the Direct External Antenna Wire Connection :
=IF= You do not have a "PAL" Plug - You can make the
'connection' to the Center Metal Pin of the "PAL" Jack
by using an Alligator Clip that has an Insulated Boot
over it.

NOTE - The Outer Metal Ring of the "PAL" Connector and
the Black Push-Terminal are both 'connected' to the
Redsun RP2100 Radio's Circuit Ground. So you can
'connect' a Ground Wire to the Radio using the Black
Push-Terminal if you want to.

RADIO INTEL .Com -review- Redsun RP2100 Radio
-by- Jay Allen
http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm
Several Good Photos and a very well written Review.

At the bottom of the Review Read
*End Note : Buying Chinese Radios Through eBay:
-by- Jay Allen
http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm

Check-Out the Redsun Shortwave Radios Group
on YAHOO ! [ redsun-shortwave-radios ]
REDSUN = http://groups.yahoo.com/group/redsun-shortwave-radios/

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

RP2100 Antenna Hookup [email protected] Shortwave 0 March 5th 08 07:39 AM
RP2100 Antenna Hookup Telamon Shortwave 0 March 5th 08 05:53 AM
CCRadio-SW = Redsun RP2100 with Twin Coil Ferrite Rod AM/MW Antenna Technology ? RHF Shortwave 11 April 30th 07 09:35 AM
Linear hookup? Fred Maxwell Equipment 1 January 29th 05 07:30 PM
Mic hookup for Hallicrafters! SR-500 Rodney Isom Boatanchors 1 June 26th 04 01:15 AM