Old March 17th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ground Wire Length?

It doesn't matter.All you need to do is stick a wire on your
girlfriend's butt.
cuhulin

Old March 17th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 16, 4:39*pm, "Burr" wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

garthpdm wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? *Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. *The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the point
where it enters the building. *That is where the main ground should be..

-
- You can also carry away EMF by wrapping gnd around
- your wire NOT on the bare wire, just close as a bleed.
-
- Burr

OK So you have a Noisy AC Mains Ground; and that's all
the Ground you got.

Situation : You are stuck with only using the AC Mains Ground
in your Seventh Story Apartment / Condo : It is 84+ Feet down
to the Earth {Ground} and You Cna't Get There. - Bummer ! ;-{

1 - Use the Cold Water Pipe or AC Mains Ground as your
Radio/Shack's Grounding-Point.
-ps- Try them Both and also try the Outside Looking "Metal"
Window Frames of your Apartment / Condo many times they
are a better Grounding Point then either the Cold Water Pipe
or AC Mains Ground {There is a Reason and a Rational for
that : Anyone know both ?}

=BUT= I Got Noise coming into my Radio / Receiver from
my Grounding Point.- Bummer Again ! ;-{

First try One or more Snap-On Ferrite Beads in your
Ground Wire run from the Grounding-Point to your Radios
and Equipment.
http://linearparts.com/images/FCL-2-420x315.jpg
http://www.intermark-usa.com/product...CK_shohin2.jpg

2 - Alternattive to Snap-On Ferrite Beads is a Donut Magnet.
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/ProductImages/sk1979.jpg
Route the Ground Wire through the Donut Hole several
times and space the Winding out around the outer-edge
of the Donut Magnet; usually 5~6 Wraps will do.
http://www.amalgamate2000.com/radio-...dio/image8.gif
http://www.regionalmfg.com/component...inductor-5.jpg

3 - OK -but- I ain't got no Snap-On Ferrite Beads; then a
12" piece of ReBar {Solid Iron Object} with the Ground Wire
wrapped around the ReBar every 1/2"~1" {10~20 Turns}
may help to kill the Noise heard on your Radios coming f
rom the GroundingPoint. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar
http://www.sanantoniohams.org/images...p/1st_Rapp.jpg

yes i b well grounded ~ RHF
-ps- my ground wire is connected to the top
section of the water well casing pipe ~34 feet
Old March 17th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 16, 2:16*am, garthpdm wrote:
- Hi,
-
- I am wondering what limitations are on the length
- of the ground wire lead from the transformer/balun
- to the ground rod?
-*Thanks,
- Garth
-

Garth,

Start Here and Read - Grounding in RF Environments
-by- William D. Chesney [N8SA]
http://www.hamuniverse.com/grounding.html
* Surge (or Safety) Grounding.{Lightning}
* RF Grounding {Noise}
* Summary
* Tip use Coax Cable as a Ground Wire
CopyRight 2000 - 2007 N4UJW HamUniverse.Com

Next GoTo and Read - Good Ground = Great Signals
-hosted-by- Hard-Core DX .Com
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...und/index.html
* Ground Zero for your Receiver
* Grounding is Key to Good Reception
* Effective Ground System Step-by-Step
* Great Ground with Kitty Litter
* Better Ground with Conductive Cement

Read - There are Grounds and then there are Grounds. . .
Being Well Grounded !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...9d6205cc5958d9
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...5ac24f5ce252ac

Read - Grounds & Grounding
Five Topics for your Consideration
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...59ed4e60ef8b64
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...810dbd34351ef9

Read - Ground Wire Question - What's On Your List When Designing and
Installing Your Radio Shack's Ground System ? [Was : ground wire
question]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a109bd6cd0ead1
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...6bb8bfa64e9b91

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old March 17th 08, 07:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF"

Old March 17th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
garthpdm wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

It may do undesirable things, like add directivity.

I was messing around and found that putting my 9:1 transformer at various
lengths along the antenna away from the ground rod, I was able to cancel
out the neighbor's light dimmers, but only on one band at a time. That
meant that it was also nulling any radio stations in that direction,
too.

Mark Zenier

Old March 18th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
RHF wrote:

On Mar 16, 4:39*pm, "Burr" wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

garthpdm wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? *Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. *The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the point
where it enters the building. *That is where the main ground should be.

-
- You can also carry away EMF by wrapping gnd around
- your wire NOT on the bare wire, just close as a bleed.
-
- Burr

OK So you have a Noisy AC Mains Ground; and that's all
the Ground you got.

SNIP

You will never learn.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 18th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Burr" wrote:

"RHF"

yes i b well grounded ~ RHF
-ps- my ground wire is connected to the top
section of the water well casing pipe ~34 feet
.

Great ground Roy BUT, you have "PLASTIC" pipe!!!

Smile.

I wonder how many people have tried that!

Nice advice Roy I didn't think about someone in an apartment.

RHF's problem is he try's to think but nothing happens.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 18th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
RHF wrote:

On Mar 16, 2:16*am, garthpdm wrote:
- Hi,
-
- I am wondering what limitations are on the length
- of the ground wire lead from the transformer/balun
- to the ground rod?
-*Thanks,
- Garth
-

Garth,

Start Here and Read - Grounding in RF Environments

SNIP

Yes retard we all know how to do a google search.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 18th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

In article ,

RHF's problem is he try's to think but nothing happens.

The use of English on this newsgroup makes me want to crie.

mike, the intransitive verbster

Old March 18th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 17, 6:24*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*RHF wrote:
On Mar 16, 2:16*am, garthpdm wrote:
- Hi,
-
- I am wondering what limitations are on the length
- of the ground wire lead from the transformer/balun
- to the ground rod?
-*Thanks,
- Garth
-

Garth,

- - Start Here and Read - Grounding in RF Environments
-
- SNIP
-
- Yes retard we all know how to do a google search.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California

Telamon,

Here is a Google Search for : "Ground Wire Length"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ground+Wire+Length

You will NOT find any Link/URL to :
http://www.hamuniverse.com/grounding.html

For : Grounding in RF Environments
-by- William D. Chesney [N8SA]
http://www.hamuniverse.com/grounding.html
* Surge (or Safety) Grounding.{Lightning}
* RF Grounding {Noise}
* Summary
* Tip use Coax Cable as a Ground Wire
CopyRight 2000 - 2007 N4UJW HamUniverse.Com

In the Top 100 referred Links / URLs
[ Checked and Verified ] 3/17/2008 @ 03:15 UTC

Telamon - This is another case of your so called 'expertise'
[TECH-NO-SUPER-EGO] causing you to "OMIF"
{Open-Mouth-Insert-Foot}.

now kindly go bact to 'alt.idiot' et al
and practice your "shtik" ~ RHF