Old March 23rd 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Default 2750KHz odd sound

wrote:

On Mar 22, 6:08 pm, msg wrote:

wrote:

http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

Hmm, your original post never arrived at Supernews.

Interesting; sounds like some sort of channel
calibration/equalization/training. What were your
receiver settings (mode, filter widths, processing)?

When I first began listening, my impression was of
out-of-band interference from a paging transmitter
or trunking public service repeater slowed _way_ down.

Michael

I already stated the receiver was in AM mode using the 9.5Khz
bandwidth. No processing.

Sorry, in the clutter of quoted material and since I was
distracted by the lack of the original post, I simply
missed that.

Michael
Old March 23rd 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 22, 5:45 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

What is the file format?

Ogg. It plays in winamp, irfanview, videolan.

I down loaded the free videolan player. Nice app.

I think someone is testing a transmitter. It just sounds to me to be a
series of tones low to high and at one point a tone ramp.

If I'm awake at 2 AM I'll give it a listen.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

That is my guess too. The signal itself doesn't sound "informative",
i.e. no modulation.

The allocation for that frequency isn't all that strict(fixed, mobile,
some aero), but given the power and consistency, it is fixed.
Old March 23rd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
wrote:

On Mar 22, 5:45 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

What is the file format?

Ogg. It plays in winamp, irfanview, videolan.

I down loaded the free videolan player. Nice app.

I think someone is testing a transmitter. It just sounds to me to be a
series of tones low to high and at one point a tone ramp.

If I'm awake at 2 AM I'll give it a listen.

That is my guess too. The signal itself doesn't sound "informative",
i.e. no modulation.

The allocation for that frequency isn't all that strict(fixed, mobile,
some aero), but given the power and consistency, it is fixed.

The series of tones and tone ramp could be a test of the transmitter
modulation capabilities.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 23rd 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I try to use open source standards where possible, i.e. LAME or Ogg
versus mp3.

Lame is a means of encoding mp3, not the format itself.

mike
Old March 23rd 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 22, 2:55*pm, wrote:
http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

M...Sushi,

Tuned 2750 kHz @ 0:749~07:52 UTC

Sounds like Garbled Voice in AM

LSB sound was weaker.

USB almost could understand the {Male?} Voice.

Tuned up and down the Band 1000 Hz in
both AM and USB with no better results.

At 07:52 UTC the Signal was gone. ~ RHF

Old March 23rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message
,
Telamon writes
In article
,
wrote:

On Mar 22, 5:45 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

What is the file format?

Ogg. It plays in winamp, irfanview, videolan.

I down loaded the free videolan player. Nice app.

I think someone is testing a transmitter. It just sounds to me to be a
series of tones low to high and at one point a tone ramp.

If I'm awake at 2 AM I'll give it a listen.

That is my guess too. The signal itself doesn't sound "informative",
i.e. no modulation.

The allocation for that frequency isn't all that strict(fixed, mobile,
some aero), but given the power and consistency, it is fixed.

The series of tones and tone ramp could be a test of the transmitter
modulation capabilities.

Second harmonic of MW transmitter (either transmitted, or generated in
your receiver)?
--
Ian
Old March 27th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:55 pm, wrote:

http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

A few days ago they were doing what I call "ding dong whoop." Then 2
second beep, 4 seconds off. I didn't record those events.

What do you hear now? At about 0200Z 03-27-2008 I am hearing a
steady slow male reader in a language that sounds a bit like
Spanish (but I can't make it out for the noise level). Mode
is USB, QTH No. MN.

Michael
Old March 27th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sounds like HAARP.

wrote in message
On Mar 22, 3:10 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

Old March 27th 08, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 26, 7:03*pm, msg wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 22, 2:55 pm, wrote:

http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/2750khz.ogg
SF Bay area approx 9GMT 3/22/2008
2750Khz AM 9.5kHz filter

A few days ago they were doing what I call "ding dong whoop." Then 2
second beep, 4 seconds off. I didn't record those events.

- What do you hear now? At *about 0200Z 03-27-2008
- I am hearing a steady slow male reader in a language
- that sounds a bit like Spanish (but I can't make it out
- for the noise level). Mode is USB, QTH No. MN.
-
- Michael
-

MSG - That was sort of my general impression. ~ RHF
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...70fb7bbf3b9923

UNID sound 6.955 usb Mark F. Shortwave 0 April 1st 07 06:48 PM
UNID sound 6.955 usb Domestos Shortwave 2 April 1st 07 03:40 PM
You people don't care what the bands sound like or will sound like. Slow Code General 1 December 1st 06 06:57 PM
BPL Sound Example.... Kim Roland Shortwave 0 May 26th 04 03:32 AM
DX-399/ATS 606 sound T. Early Shortwave 3 January 27th 04 08:16 AM