Old April 6th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Wellbrook Antennas

Dear "Cuhulin,"

I'm pretty certain that they are still selling very well indeed. Here
is their web site: http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/ where you can find
out all the latest information about their products. I understand that
there was a delay in filling orders about a year or two ago due to the
fact that Ibiquity, the inventor and licensor of so-called "HD
Radio" (IBOC) ordered quite a large number of Wellbrook antennas in
order to do testing of AM IBOC; Ibiquity found that the Wellbrook
antenna gave the best and most consistent response in picking up their
signals. But I'm pretty certain that, at least in regard to fulfilling
orders, things are back to normal now.

In a location that affords a lot of open space AND is electrically
quiet, say a rural farm area, the best antenna is a long wire of the
random length type or of the Beverage type. (Also a dipole.) If the
plot of space is somewhat more restricted, a "sloper" type, which is,
in fact, a trapped dipole, may do as well. Note that these are all
passive antennas. In the proper location, a passive wire antenna will
generally outperform any other type for reception of radio signals..

The problem, of course, is that nowadays MOST of us do not live in
such an ideal location. We live in congested suburbs or cities; we may
live in a town home or condominium community; we may have a very small
plot of land; we may have homeowners covenant restrictions; we may
have neighbors who have electrical items which cause interference, and
we may even have these things ourselves! Any of those conditions, and
a few more besides, greatly interfere with AM and, especially,
shortwave reception.

In these cases, we must look for solutions to the problem (or else
give up the hobby - not a satisfactory alternative). One of the best
solutions is a loop antenna which will respond more to the magnetic
portion of the radio signal as opposed to the electrical portion of
that signal. And, as practically all owners will attest, the very best
loop antennas are made by Andy Ikin of Wellbrook. His designs,
constantly being improved, are positively amazing in what they do for
shortwave reception. No other antenna can perform as well in the
"usual" adverse conditions most of us find in our living areas.

I can vouch for that - and in a way that may surprise some. During the
summer, when we are listening to shortwave radio, it is always easy to
tell when a thunderstorm approaches; you'll hear the lightning crashes
on your radio - that is you will if you have any antenna BUT a
Wellbrook! I have found that I must be VERY careful in the summertime
when using either of my two Wellbrooks because it has happened that a
thunderstorm was upon me before I had any indication it was coming.
There were NO lightning crashes audible on the radio until the storm
was practically here and I could hear the thunder.

What this means, of course, is that, especially in the summertime,
when atmospheric noise is at its highest, you will be able to listen
to shortwave signals with full enjoyment and freedom from extraneous
noise. Even those who live in "ideal" conditions and have a long wire
antenna may benefit from the Wellbrook's quietness. The Wellbrook
active antenna would certainly NOT be a replacement for a several-
hundred-foot antenna, but it most definitely would be a worthy
supplement to that.

Should "everyone" order a Wellbrook (ALA 330S - my models - or the ALA
1530 [S or Plus] the MW-enhanced model)? Well, these antennas are
certainly not inexpensive nor are they as easy to install as is a
passive wire. In addition you need a rotator and a few other odds and
ends (including RG-58U cable) obtained locally which adds to the cost.
And, to add insult to injury, the dollar-to-pound ratio is atrocious
at the present time. Obviously one who owns only a portable shortwave
radio (the Grundig Satellit 800, the Eton E1, the Drake SW-8, and
various older Lowe "port-a-tops" excepted) would not buy such an
antenna; it would almost be equivalent to filling the fuel tank of
your Kia Rio with jet engine fuel!

But if you're a dedicated world band listener and you own a good
tabletop shortwave receiver and you happen to live in a less-than-
ideal location AND if you can have the discipline to save up the
required amount of money, you will find NO antenna even COMPARABLE to
any of the Wellbrook range of active antennas.

All the above is, of course, as is everything else that I write,
strictly my own opinion. But I have never seen anything "negative"
written about ANY Wellbrook antenna written by an actual owner who has
actually installed and actually uses one of these antennas.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 5, 8:04 pm, wrote:
Are they still selling pretty good? What's new with them?
cuhulin

Old April 6th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Joe Analssandrini wrote:

On Apr 5, 8:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

You can make a passive loop that can approach the results you get with
the active loop. It will have to be larger and the local noise
cancelation will not be quite as good. However, the passive loop is
impossible to overload and does not generate any 2nd or 3rd order image
products. Best of all it is inexpensive to build out of coax cable. A
comparable passive loop would have to be 30 to 50 feet in
circumference, which does not take as much space to erect as a
long/random wire.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 6th 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 5, 8:04 pm, wrote:

Are they still selling pretty good? What's new with them?
cuhulin- Hide quoted text -

Joe - Nice Stories and a Great Read. ~ RHF
Old April 7th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 5, 8:04 pm, wrote:

Are they still selling pretty good? What's new with them?
cuhulin

Good post. I'd like to point out that the ALA100 is one of the cheaper
Wellbrooks (though not so cheap anymore due to the weak dollar). If
you can roll your own loop, the ALA100 is a good choice. A copper loop
4ft on a side is plenty. The nice thing is you can take the basic amp
out in the field and use larger wire antennas.

http://www.lazygranch.com/images/radio/bigassant.jpg
This loop is about 11ft on the diagonal. The funny thing about this
photo is I was deep in the boonies DFing a non-documented NDB at "Area
52", only to discover that the NDB was near the border way on the
other side of the base.

The notion that anyone would use a Wellbrook for IBOC is pure
insanity. The antenna costs more than the average user would pay for a
radio.
Old April 7th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 6, 2:38 pm, MojaveDxer wrote:
I did read through the thread at yahoo.loopantennas. There was no
real conclusion on its performance except for one that claims that
it's up to par with ALA1530

If you search this group's messages for wl1030 you will find several
posts from r2000swler who built the loop and has built many other
active antennas. I won't try to summarize his comments, just read for
yourself...

Bob

Old April 7th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default PONG : Telamon - Keep-Up the Name Calling Attempt At Intimidation !

On Apr 6, 6:12*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

- - - MojaveDxer wrote:
- - -*Does anybody have any experiance of info on this
- - - homebrew active loop.
- - - http://www.wl1030.com/content/

- - Drifter wrote:
- - i remember a thread on the yahoo loop group. don't
- - remember the final out-come. the loop does look cool.
- - how it works, i don't know. that yahoo group has a
- - bunch of info.

- We have had threads on loop antennas here, active and
- otherwise.
- The news group retard keeps directing you to the yahoo
- and google groups.
- Forget about the news group retard and his antics.
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California

Telamon - Oops That Was Not My Post ! ~ RHF

Telamon -Or- Are You Now Calling "Drifter" a 'news group retard' ?
For simply mentioning a Yahoo Group ?

Telamon -Or-Or- Are Your Meds Not Working ?
http://checkonjim.com/wp-content/upl...2/img00135.jpg

Telamon -Or-Or-Or- Did Your "AFDB" Slip-Off A Bit ?
AFDB - http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

-ps- Teli - Had I 'referred' to the "Loop Antenna" Group
on Yahoo! : I would have posted the Link/URL to it.
Group Members : 2289
Messages Posted : 5150

Telamon - Keep-Up the Name Calling Attempt At Intimidation !
http://www.towardthemark.com/gif/int...on_book_sm.jpg

Teli - Who knows may be some one will pee their pants . . .
. . . . . in laughter at your attempt at being the newsgroups
latest 'little-boy-gone-wild' ~ RHF
Old April 8th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear "Telamon,"

It really is true - Ibiquity bought a large number of Wellbrook ALA
1530 antennas (I'm not sure in which of the various incarnations of
the '1530 they were) as they found that this one was the most reliable
and consistent antenna for them to use when testing AM IBOC. (Please
note that I am NO fan of "digital" MW or SW [AM] in ANY form!) Their
order was so large that Andy Ikin was forced to delay individual
orders that came in after the Ibiquity order; he is only one person
and there are still only 24 hours in a day! I understand that it took
him several months to catch up.

I cannot comment on the performance of any of the ALA 1530 range,
having never owned one nor have I even personally known anyone who
does; I can only comment on the performance of the Wellbrook ALA 330S
(the shortwave-primarily model) of which I do own two (one used with
my Grundig Satellit 800 and the other with my AR7030 Plus). It is
overall the best antenna I personally have ever used in fifty years of
shortwave listening. (Though I am sure that I have not used as many as
you - or many others here - have, I have had a 300-foot wire, a 100-
foot wire, several active antennas, and several whip-type antennas,
both active and passive, over the years.)

I would just like to mention another advantage of the Wellbrook
(small) loop antennas over the (large loop) antenna you suggested (I
think you may have touched on this in a later post) and that is the
fact that a small loop will be most sensitive to the magnetic portion
of the radio signal and will reject the electrical portion. This, of
course, is the exact opposite of what a large loop will do. In other
words, the small (amplified and well-shielded) loop will reject local
electrical noise as well as atmospheric noise (especially in the
summertime) whereas the large loop, like any large wire antenna, will
pick up these extraneous interferences. In a community in which people
live close together, such as my own situation, a large passive loop
antenna just would not do. Only a small loop will perform in a
satisfactory method assuming it is well-designed and well-made.

Rotating a loop is also important in a situation such as mine in order
to null out any especially pernicious noise; the Wellbrook ALA 330S
has a very sharp null. (The null point is exactly the opposite of a
large loop - 90° away - but I'm sure you already knew that.) Having
two Wellbrooks for one receiver at 90° positioning would not be
satisfactory (even if that option were affordable!) though it probably
is fine for large loops, which are not quite as directional.

If it hadn't been for the Wellbrook AA 330S and its rotatability and
its rejection of local electrical noise, I would have had to abandon
the hobby!

Best,

Joe

P.S. The small, amplified, Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna, though not even
in the same ballpark as the Wellbrook ALA 330S, nonetheless is the
best affordable loop antenna I have found for use with portable
shortwave radios, the Eton E1, Grundig Satellit 800, Drake SW-8, and
several Lowe portables excepted. The AN-LP1 provides a good,
relatively quiet, signal and does not cause overloading on most good
compact portable shortwave receivers. While rotating it is cumbersome
at best, it can be done if necessary. It's great for taking on trips
as well.

On Apr 7, 10:03 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

RHF wrote:

SNIP

The Wellbrook Loop Antenna was the only Off-the-Shelf
Consumer Grade AM/MW Antenna good enough to
Null-Out the Digital Side-Band Noise {Hash} from Adjacent
IBOC AM/MW Radio Stations to allow iBiquity Corp to
'pass' the FCC Broadcast Standard for the Acceptance
of IBOC's used concurrently with Analog AM/MW Radio.

another - it's sounds crazy -but-
it's true {maybe ?} fabrication - by ~ RHF
.

In a word, YES.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 8th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Joe Analssandrini wrote:

Dear "Telamon,"

It really is true - Ibiquity bought a large number of Wellbrook ALA
1530 antennas (I'm not sure in which of the various incarnations of
the '1530 they were) as they found that this one was the most reliable
and consistent antenna for them to use when testing AM IBOC. (Please
note that I am NO fan of "digital" MW or SW [AM] in ANY form!) Their
order was so large that Andy Ikin was forced to delay individual
orders that came in after the Ibiquity order; he is only one person
and there are still only 24 hours in a day! I understand that it took
him several months to catch up.

This does not surprise me that Ibiquity bought these antennas. I just
don't go along with RHF's off base assertion. I'm sure it was the small
size where it could be easily mounted at a good height, the antennas
gain, and rejection of local noise that compelled them to purchase these
antennas because as we all know the digital signals are low power.

[...]

I can't argue with you about the fact that the smaller loops have better
local noise rejection over the larger loops but once any distant signal
or noise propagates as a far field the energy is divided between the
electric and magnetic fields. The electrically small loop will pickup
the atmospheric noise just as well as the larger loop. However, you may
hear less atmospheric noise on the small loop because the amplifier is
bandwidth limited, which will further limit the noise.

Rotating a loop is also important in a situation such as mine in order
to null out any especially pernicious noise; the Wellbrook ALA 330S
has a very sharp null. (The null point is exactly the opposite of a
large loop - 90° away - but I'm sure you already knew that.) Having
two Wellbrooks for one receiver at 90° positioning would not be
satisfactory (even if that option were affordable!) though it probably
is fine for large loops, which are not quite as directional.

I would hope to get the small loop up high enough to avoid the local
noise and not have to rotate it. If that didn't work out then the rotor
would be tried next.

If it hadn't been for the Wellbrook AA 330S and its rotatability and
its rejection of local electrical noise, I would have had to abandon
the hobby!

We all have our cross to bear when it comes to local noise. What is
important is you found a working solution.

P.S. The small, amplified, Sony AN-LP1 Active Antenna, though not even
in the same ballpark as the Wellbrook ALA 330S, nonetheless is the
best affordable loop antenna I have found for use with portable
shortwave radios, the Eton E1, Grundig Satellit 800, Drake SW-8, and
several Lowe portables excepted. The AN-LP1 provides a good,
relatively quiet, signal and does not cause overloading on most good
compact portable shortwave receivers. While rotating it is cumbersome
at best, it can be done if necessary. It's great for taking on trips
as well.

Well, even a small loop with minimal amplification is better than a whip
antenna unless you are at the park running on batteries.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 8th 08, 06:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 7, 7:03*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*RHF wrote:

SNIP

The Wellbrook Loop Antenna was the only Off-the-Shelf
Consumer Grade AM/MW Antenna good enough to
Null-Out the Digital Side-Band Noise {Hash} from Adjacent
IBOC AM/MW Radio Stations to allow iBiquity Corp to
'pass' the FCC Broadcast Standard for the Acceptance
of IBOC's used concurrently with Analog AM/MW Radio.

another - it's sounds crazy -but-
it's true {maybe ?} fabrication - by ~ RHF
*.

- In a word, YES.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California

Teli - Good Reply. ~ RHF
Old April 8th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default PONG : Telamon - "Nope. It's just your reading comprehension problemat play retard."

On Apr 7, 5:59*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*RHF wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:12*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

- - Drifter wrote:
- - i remember a thread on the yahoo loop group. don't
- - remember the final out-come. the loop does look cool.
- - how it works, i don't know. that yahoo group has a
- - bunch of info.

- We have had threads on loop antennas here, active and
- otherwise.
- The news group retard keeps directing you to the yahoo
- and google groups.

- - - Forget about the news group retard and his antics.
- - - *--
- - - Telamon
- - - Ventura, California

- - Telamon - Oops That Was Not My Post ! ~ RHF
- -
- - Telamon -Or- Are You Now Calling "Drifter" a 'news group retard' ?
- - For simply mentioning a Yahoo Group ?

-
- Nope. It's just your reading comprehension problem at play retard.
-
- --
- Telamon * The Chief Resident in-charge-of Alt.Idiots *
- Ventura, California
-

Telamon -wrote-
"Nope. It's just your reading comprehension problem at play retard."

OK Telamon - Let Me Get This Correct : Quoting You and
Re-Posting Your Own Words Back At You is RETARDED [.]

PONG : Telamon - "Nope. It's just your reading comprehension
problem at play retard."

Again Teli - You Make It All So : easy, Easy. EASY ! ) ~ RHF
Once Again Your Own Words Right Back At You : Simple and True !

Telamon - You are real good at Braying the Words :
Retard, Idiot, Moron and Spammer . . .
Stick to these 'things' that You Know Oh So Well !

=PS= Teli - Setting the Follow-Up To "Alt.Idiots" once again
just proves you know your home address. ;-}

Wellbrook question [email protected] Shortwave 35 October 2nd 06 05:36 PM
More on the Wellbrook loops [email protected] Shortwave 0 June 28th 06 08:02 AM
FA: Wellbrook K9AY bm Shortwave 0 August 11th 05 07:56 PM
Wellbrook Brian Shortwave 6 June 16th 05 03:26 AM
Wellbrook ALA 330S on MW Joe Analssandrini Shortwave 5 January 9th 05 12:10 PM