Old April 17th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Minimum gauge for groud...

"Michael" wrote in message
Hiya...

Hiya...

Got the 6' solid brass ground rod and 24' ground strap today from ICE. We
have clear weather forecast here for Saturday, so I plan to pound it into
the ground. I'll mount the balun to the foundation low to the ground and
connect the ground strap. I ordered 100' spool of antenna wire and a 100'
length of coax. If they arrive in the next day, I'll be able to put it up
Saturday along with the balun and ground spike. Then I can test it out
Saturday night. If I don't get the antenna wire and other goodies by the
weekend, it will have to wait another week for completion and testing. I'm
glad I also have the 102' G5RV to test it against. That antenna is
currently laying on my roof in the shape of a sigma. I plan to leave it as
is.

I'd say the 6' brass rod into the earth is a better ground then the brick
chimney, but I don't think it will out perform the whole uncooked chicken.

I'm still not sure if I should also ground the radio in the shack. The
radio is on the second floor in the house, so any ground wire would have to
be about 75' long to reach the spike, unless I just ground it to the iron
radiator... or a chicken. I use a six receiver, six radio MFJ- 1700C switch
to go between antennas and my two radios. The new properly grounded
inverted L will always be hooked up to the switch along with both my radios
and all antennas. Given that one antenna is well grounded and all items are
hooked up to the same switch via shielded PL-259, will the other radios and
antennas benefit from that one single grounded antenna ???

Forgive me for being a total retard here... My first ever antenna was a roll
of aluminum foil and an alligator clip :-) I'm making some progress...

Mike D

Old April 18th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

To what ??? Given that the switch will already be connected to the PL-259
connection of the well grounded sloping L antenna's shielded coax, hooking
up another wire to the switch from the outside ground rod will be redundant,
no ??? The best I can do is put a ground strap from the switch to an iron
radiator in the shack.

Think that will be any help ???

Michael

Old April 18th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. Lightning can induce voltage onto the cable shields that will
either pass through your radios or find another path to ground. A
radiator is usually a very nice ground.
Old April 18th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
Michael wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

Will do. Thanx :-)

Michael

Old April 18th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A bunch of years ago, I bought eight copper plated, whatever plated they
are? eight foot long ground steel rods at the Goodwill store, dirt
cheep.Last year, I gave one of my auld buddies five of them, for
free.((Ronnie, you never know when you might need to hacksaw off a piece
of rod for something)) He told me,,, you dont need to use a big
hammer,,, just hold it between your fingers and bump it up and down in
the dirt.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 17, 2:21*pm, "Michael" wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

[...]

In the location where you plan on sticking your Ground Rod :
Take the time today to dig down about a Foot Deep and a
Foot around {Hole} and Fill the Hole with Water Today, Friday
and Saturday {Soak the Ground}. Pounding the Ground Rod
into the Soil should be a little easier. Stop pounding the Rod
into the Soil when you have about 6"~8" above the normal
Soil level left to do. Fill the Whole with Soil and Tamp and
the Soil Down {Walk-On-It}. Pound the Rod a little further
into the ground and leave about 2"~4" of it above the Soil
Level.

READ - Make Your Own 'Special' Ground Rod Soil Mixture
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...b69b219da2de33
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...549154294a4d9b

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old April 18th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Michael" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you. I was just wondering how much of the rod to leave above the
ground. I read a few articles that say no more then 4" is idea. Is it OK if
the clam that holds the strap on the rod is above the burry line ??? I want
to be able to see that is still attached every now and then :-)

Michael

Old April 18th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

Where he lives a common mode antenna is most likely the worst choice for
an antenna anyway.

What antenna would you recommend ??? Besides dead poultry.

Michael

Anything not a common mode antenna such as a random/long wire.

Make a dipole or a loop antenna. Those antennas don't need a ground to
operate.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 18th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

Where he lives a common mode antenna is most likely the worst choice
for
an antenna anyway.

What antenna would you recommend ??? Besides dead poultry.

Michael

Anything not a common mode antenna such as a random/long wire.

Make a dipole or a loop antenna. Those antennas don't need a ground to
operate.

I already have a di-pole. A 102' G5RV on my roof. I'm building a second
antenna because my current 150' long wire has fallen apart on the roof after
being up there for three years. I have an ICE-180 balun that I can take off
of that mess, so I figured I'd use that in the construction of something
that can make use of it, like an inverted L. So far I just spent money on a
new 6' ground rod and a 20 buck spool of antenna wire. Under 50 bucks
total. Why the hell wont I get an effective ground here with a six foot
ground rod ??? I always thought the ground here in this area had great
conductivity. That is why there are so many MW transmitters here.

BTW... My G5RV works very well from 5 megahertz to 10 megahertz. Is isn't
so good below of above that. My 150' long wire was great for anything above
10 megahertz. Unbelievably, it was also very good for 3 megahertz to 4
megahertz. I have no idea why. The way I had that one grounded was, I'm
sure, a poor way to do it. I have a 12 gauge wire going from the radio, up
on the roof to the ICE-180 balun's ground, and then back down the house to a
ground rod in the earth. The current ground rod is only 3' long iron bar.
Don't ask me how, but it worked.

Michael