Old April 20th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I don't understand!!!

Dear Mr. Burr,

Your system seems, from your description, to be absolutely first-rate.
Personally, I see no reason to "upgrade" (a misleading term, in your
case) your equipment. While there are more sophisticated (and
expensive) receivers, it is the antenna that actually brings in the
signals and you have one of the best. In my opinion, no matter what
"more expensive" receiver you were to try, you would not hear anything
more or anything better than what you are able to hear with your
current rigs.

The only thing missing from your description or your antenna system
(and pardon me if you already have this or if I misread your
description) is lightning/static protection. I would suggest that you
investigate that and add it to your antenna system.

In my opinion, nothing else in your receiving station needs to be
touched.

I envy you your system and, most especially, your antenna.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 20, 7:16 am, "Burr" wrote:
I don't understand all this big time antenna talk, knob turning and
filtering.

I use the "KISS" system

I have 100 feet of longwire, 75 running north south with the open end 20
feet in the air. I turn 25 feet east west about 10 feet off the ground so I
don't hang small kids running around then I run about 15 feet of coaxial
cable running to the house where I made a hole and poked it into my office
(shack). I then run a piece of 20g wire to both short-wave radios. I put a
10-foot ground rod in the very wet ground (beside a rice paddy) and run a
piece of 20g wire to the sheath on the coaxial, the two short wave radios as
well as my scanner.

I run all my radios off 12vDC with a little charger that I turn on when I am
out of the room (shack). I keep/keep all AC away from any radios and that's
it!

I come in the room, turn the radio on and DX, I receive everything that is
in the air, and I get over shoots from America, Europe and Africa. I pickup
everything from Asia, Australia, New Zealand and anything out of the little
islands scattered in the South Pacific plus most of all the Russian
transmissions.

Now, I was thinking about some of the things you guy's say about your two
and five thousand dollar radios and all the fancy antennas you use to DX
with and I was wondering if I should try to save my few dollars and try to
upgrade my radios or rebuild my antenna but then I said "What For" I seem to
get everything that is out there. I enjoy what I am doing and it didn't cost
me much.

The only thing I would enjoy playing with would be a Software Short Wave
Radio. I think it would be fun to mess with but I don't have all that money
to spend on one so I guess I'll keep looking at the pictures in Monitoring
Times, reading about all the bells and whistles and wishing I had one.

Burr's Radio Shack

Red Mountain, California / Bulacan, Philippines

Shortwave Receivers :

Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium

Drake SW8

Uniden BC895XLT & 245XLT

Grundig Yacht Boy 400

Antennas :

Long Wire Sloping "L"

Stoner Dymek DA100D

Old April 20th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
[...]

He did say he'd like to try computer control, and I'm guessing he may
mean SDR, as an RX-320 is dirt cheap.