Old April 26th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default This CCrane radio any good? + other questions

Two that you didn't mention:

Eton E1/Grundig G1. Excellent radio.

USED Sangean ATS-803A. This is also sold as a Realistic DX-440. Another
excellent choice; a little larger than the others but you get very nice
sound for the increase in size and power.

Jeff

"Hacienda de Ville" wrote in message
I am starting to feel embarrassed with all these questions I have been
asking. While The Passport To World Band Radio has a wealth of
information in it as far as they reviews, I get excited about a
certain one as I am reading the PROS. The comes the CONS. After that,
the verdict. I am so lost. The CONS seem to be more numerous on all
the radios.

I was thinking of getting the Sony ICF-SW7600GR,
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-SW760...74325&sr =1-1

but then I read the cons and they made a big deal of no tuning knob. I
still really like it for the most part.

Another one I am very interested in is the C Crane C CSW
(http://www.amazon.com/Crane-CSW-Cloc...lp_edpp_img_in
). Because pulling in distant AM stations would be a great plus for
me, I have been thinking about this for the last few days. But, to me,
it looks like the Eton S350 Deluxe DLB AM/FM Shortwave Radio
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BAG7V5N4S82VVF

or the Grundig S350
http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-S350-D...742 61&sr=8-1

Lastly, I have been looking for this as well: Kaito PLL Synthesized
Dual Conversion AM/FM Shortwave Radio (but it lacks a keypad)
http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-Synthesi...74325&sr =1-9

Here are a few features I would like and I am sure I am missing some
that should be included:

1. Capable of picking up distant AM signal. Would the dual ferrite
antenna be preferable to a single inside antenna? This would be a
strong plus for me and at the same time, not pick up other signals
that might interfere with what I am listening to.
2. digital readout.
3. Keypad
4. Tuning knob
5. SSB.
6. get full SW spectrum, continuous, not in three band or whatever, or
is that just the way it comes?
7. Various adjustment knobs that lets you fine tooth the signals.
8. PLL Synthesized (to lock in stations and avoid drift. I hope that
is what it is for)
9.Dual conversion (I have no idea what that is, but it sounds good

Could someone who has some extra time compare the models I have listed
above and see which might be closest to meeting my needs. I would like
to still keep it portable and not be too bid of a monster.

Thanks, friends,
Haci

Maybe by this time, next year, I will be asking more interesting
questions...I hope.