Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dBc dBc is offline

Default I think I have found the one I like!

Greetings Hacienda de Ville..

As perceived, the Satellit 750 is considered more of a tabletop
model than a portable. Consider that many of the portables have
become sophisticated enough now days to include many all the
features of the tabletop models. However, in the end, it will be
up to you to decide which of those features are important to you.
Another source to consider for a review is Passport to Worldband
Radio. Check out your local library first to see if they've got a
recent copy before purchasing. They have a section where they
critically review most major lines of shortwave radios, tabletop
and portables.

While this is a Chinese design imported by Eton for the American
market, DO be aware that detailed schematics or especially a
service manual will not be made available to the public for this
radio. In order to get any service you will have to send this
radio in to Eton for repair. After your warranty period, that
could be rather expensive for a relatively simple item.

Why mention this? Other larger manufacturers, especially out of
Japan such as ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu compose service manuals that
have schematics, alignment procedures and parts listings. This
allows the owner to simply call and order the exact OEM part in
the event that anything becomes defective, especially over time.
While this is usually not needed initially, if the radio is kept
for a long period of time, it's a very nice piece of
documentation to have.

Examples of what I'm referring to are available at such sites as
http://www.mods.dk/ . This site not only has owner's manuals but
the actual service manuals for those technically enough inclined
to maintain their radios over the years. Of course, going though
the manufacturers listed above, will provide the actual printed
(or CD ROMs) service manual that includes the latest
information - at a nominal fee. Much easier to chase the highways
and bi-ways of the electrons with a schematic than not having one
AND not even having the option to get one.

Something at least to be aware of and consider..

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

"Hacienda de Ville" wrote
in message ...
|I think I have found a radio I could love. Apparently, it is not
going
| to be released until June of this year. It costs $300 and my
IRA
| Stimulus check will pay for it. Please check out the
information

http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Satell.../dp/B0014T7W8Y

http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-et...-yes-shortwave

| http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7256
|
| The size is slightly bigger than I thought. Do you still think
this
| will be easy enough to take to parks or where ever and listen
to or is
| it more of a tabletop?
|
| Thank you,
| Haci

I think I have found the one I like! RHF Shortwave 0 April 28th 08 04:02 AM
WMD found Brenda Ann Dyer Shortwave 26 May 22nd 04 08:15 PM
Found Steveo CB 1 January 22nd 04 01:07 AM
Found it :) Warpcore Shortwave 5 September 26th 03 06:23 AM