Old May 5th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Anybody Using Retro Radios?

Dear Count,

I too have my Lafayette Radio HE-10 along with its associated
loudspeaker the HE-11. I bought these at the Lafayette Radio Store in
Camden, NJ on April 6, 1962. I also have my Clevite 'Brush' BA-200
Crystal headphones which I purchased at the same store in June of
1962.

Everything still works as when new. The only "service" the radio has
required in 46+ years is three tube replacements and a couple of
realignments.

I still use this equipment once or twice a year - generally on the
radio's "birthday," but, frankly, there is NO WAY I would ever want to

My main receiver is now an AOR AR7030 Plus - and I can tell you that,
even using the same antenna (Wellbrook ALA 330S and, in the case of
the Lafayette, a Wellbrook 9:1 Magnetic Balun for proper signal
transfer), the AOR runs rings around the Lafayette in performance. No
drift, no selective fading distortion, and easy minimization of
adjacent and other interference, as well as easy SSB reception (and
ECSS tuning), just shows far far we've come since 1962.

While I realize that, in its day, the Lafayette was by no means in the
class of the AOR in ITS day, nonetheless the Lafayette was always
considered to be a "hot' receiver.

Yet it pales with regard to overall performance and sound quality
compared to my AR7030 Plus.

I hope you and others have fun with your "retro" radios; when I use my
Lafayette, it does bring back memories of the "good old days." There
is certainly nothing wrong with that.

But for day in day out listening to shortwave (and medium wave)
broadcasts, give me my AOR or almost ANY modern tabletop
communications receiver rather than that old Lafayette.

Frankly, I like the "good NEW days!"

My opinion, anyway.

Best,

Joe

Count Floyd wrote:
I constantly see everyone wanting the "newest" radio, but does anyone
use old, retro equipment in their shack?
I am using nothing but, and the interest has come back to my listening
pleasure. I am using my old Layfayette HE-10, S-38 and the old trusty
RF-2200. It is amazing, I have already gotten 15 states with the
HE-10/S-38 combo, and am finding more shortwave with the Panasonic.

Anybody Using Retro Radios? Bob Campbell Shortwave 1 May 6th 08 01:56 PM
retro atennas TongSlinger CB 1 June 29th 04 04:46 AM
retro atennas TongSlinger CB 5 June 22nd 04 01:51 AM
Retro Radio Station!! Matt Wilson Broadcasting 0 December 12th 03 06:20 PM
Antenna Question - Retro Fit from TV Macman Shortwave 10 October 14th 03 01:31 PM