Old May 24th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eduardo radio is off 5% year to date

On May 24, 3:28*pm, "pocket-radio" wrote:
Radio Revenue Is Off 5% Year to Date
5.23.2008
RAB used the words “growth” and “steady” in its announcement headline; but
overall revenue continues to be down for U.S. commercial radio in the first
quarter.
Radio revenue was off 5% in the quarter compared to the same period last
year, it reported, dragged down by a drop of 11% in national business and a
6% drop in local. Network business was up 7%, though, and off-air ntr
continues to be the star for radio, increasing 15%.
Overall revenue in the quarter was estimated at just under $4.5 billion; if
that pace were to hold, the year would end at around $18 billion total.
But RAB says several industries increased their investment in radio in the
quarter, “becoming the new growth leaders for the medium. The influx of
these dollars, combined with the steady escalation of advertiser spending in
the network and off-air sectors, helped radio curtail the effects of today’s
unstable economy.”
Its announcement captures RAB’s view of the numbers: “Network, Off-Air,
Political Help Steady Radio in 1st Quarter 2008; Insurance, Specialty
Retail, Professional Services, and Beverages Emerge as Growth Category
Leaders.”
President/CEO Jeff Haley said he is “encouraged that first quarter has
brought new and returning advertisers to radio.”

Actually, radio stocks are down at least 50%, and some are down 90%.
This goes to show that with iPods, cell phones, etc the long-term
outlook for radio is grim.
Old May 25th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"gallant17" wrote in message

Actually, radio stocks are down at least 50%, and some are down 90%.
This goes to show that with iPods, cell phones, etc the long-term
outlook for radio is grim.

Stock price often has little to do with a business and more to do with
market trends and hot and cold sectors.

I'm going to retire enjoyable due to buying "value stocks" which are simply
companies throwing off lots of cash and paying dividends which are
undervalued by various metrics. Profitability and dividends tend to pay off
in capital appreciation plus the dividends over time, and the underlying
cash flows insure lower risk. Radio is undervalued, which is why several
companies have gone private... there is enormous value there.

Old May 25th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 24, 7:44�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"gallant17" wrote in message

Actually, radio stocks are down at least 50%, and some are down 90%.
This goes to show that with iPods, cell phones, etc the long-term
outlook for radio is grim.

Stock price often has little to do with a business and more to do with
market trends and hot and cold sectors.

I'm going to retire enjoyable due to buying "value stocks" which are simply
companies throwing off lots of cash and paying dividends which are
undervalued by various metrics. Profitability and dividends tend to pay off
in capital appreciation plus the dividends over time, and the underlying
cash flows insure lower risk. Radio is undervalued, which is why several
companies have gone private... there is enormous value there.

Companies that go private are in a retreat strategy - radio is going
down the toilet, and everyone knows it.
Old May 25th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"gallant17" wrote in message

[...]

Companies that go private do so because a group of investors with money spot
value in excess of the market capitalization.

Old May 25th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Frackelton Gleason, whilst posing as 'Eduardo', shipped out another load
when he wrote:

"gallant17" wrote in message

Actually, radio stocks are down at least 50%, and some are down 90%.
This goes to show that with iPods, cell phones, etc the long-term
outlook for radio is grim.

Stock price often has little to do with a business and more to do with
market trends and hot and cold sectors.

I'm going to retire enjoyable due to buying "value stocks" which are simply
companies throwing off lots of cash and paying dividends which are
undervalued by various metrics.

Didn't you say sometime back that you'd have to keep working due to the fact
that radio firms didn't have much of a pension plan? Something along the lines
of being 70 years old or so?

"retire enjoyable" at 70 or so doesn't seem too enjoyable.

Or is this merely another shipment of your BS?

Old May 25th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

when he wrote:

"gallant17" wrote in message

Actually, radio stocks are down at least 50%, and some are down 90%.
This goes to show that with iPods, cell phones, etc the long-term
outlook for radio is grim.

Stock price often has little to do with a business and more to do with
market trends and hot and cold sectors.

I'm going to retire enjoyable due to buying "value stocks" which are simply
companies throwing off lots of cash and paying dividends which are
undervalued by various metrics.

Didn't you say sometime back that you'd have to keep working due to the fact
that radio firms didn't have much of a pension plan? Something along the lines
of being 70 years old or so?

Radio wasn't very big on pension or thrift plans, as a rule, but they
do exist. And after the mid 80's, for executives with a specified time
in service, profit sharing, thrift and pension plans became more common
among very large firms. And they exist with different plans for
different levels of service, or rank within the company.

I had both a 401k and a company pension plan when I exited the
business, in addition to my portfoli, and my own financial plan for
retirement.

Generally, front line employees, like disk jockeys, and support staff
like banner hangers, don't last long enough to have much in the way of
vested interest in company assets and plans, so, for most, in radio,
there are no pensions.

Then, again, if you really do well in Radio, you don't need a company
pension...you've covered that on your own.

My own plan was far better than any company offerings in which I was
vested. I simply cashed out my company plans when I exited, because my
own plans were so much better.

Old May 25th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

gallant17 wrote:

Actually, radio stocks are down at least 50%, and some are down 90%.
This goes to show that with iPods, cell phones, etc the long-term
outlook for radio is grim.

They need to rethink "content" and "public service" and "localism".
Old May 25th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Now take a hike, dumbass!

I'm not finished with you yet, you drunken, racist retard.

Did you get your sphincter fixed after that drunken party with the Greek
sailors got 'out of hand'? The Navy tells me you left immediately after
that little episode.

Let's make these little social calls more often, ok? You don't want to
act like a human being and I need the entertainment.

It's a match made in heaven.

Please, keep up the insults. It's easy for you as there are so limited
in scope and number.

mike
Old May 25th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Now take a hike, dumbass!

I'm not finished with you yet, you drunken, racist retard.

Did you get your sphincter fixed after that drunken party with the Greek
sailors got 'out of hand'? The Navy tells me you left immediately after
that little episode.

Our Navy wouldn't tell you s**t, boy. You're a dumbass Canuck.

Let's make these little social calls more often, ok? You don't want to
act like a human being and I need the entertainment.

Jerking off not enough for you, boy?

Old May 25th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAcehole, aka Steve Lare, pathological liar, racist and common drunk,
SUPCOMUCOMM (Supreme Commander, United Counties of Michigan Militia)
Michigan
USA

during his fifth annual Farewell Forever tour, said:

Jerking off not enough for you, boy?

You told me you'd never mention those pictures to ANYONE. When you told
me you actually wear the bras Cuhulin sends you (especially the red
one), I trusted you to keep your little gay secret out of the public forum.

What exactly will your State police say when they find out I am twelve
years old? Will they appreciate your 'art' collection?

mike