Old June 18th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default OT Browser character set strange?

I may have a problem with the character set in my browser. On the
following page,

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electrom...esistance.html

At the location where it says:

RT = 2.5 + 1 + 3
RT = 6.5 XXXXX

I get something other than ohms.
I have placed XXXXX where the offending part is.

Are other people getting the same mistake?

I've talked to the web master, but he claims it's OK there.

mike
Old June 18th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"m II" wrote in message news:wVe6k.2166$sg6.340@edtnps91...
I may have a problem with the character set in my browser. On the
following page,

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electrom...esistance.html

At the location where it says:

RT = 2.5 + 1 + 3
RT = 6.5 XXXXX

I get something other than ohms.
I have placed XXXXX where the offending part is.

Are other people getting the same mistake?

I've talked to the web master, but he claims it's OK there.

mike

I get 6.7 k ohm (with the omega symbol). The thing is in a Greek character
set. I found this out when I tried to copy/paste into here and then type
something after it...

Old June 18th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

I get 6.7 k ohm (with the omega symbol). The thing is in a Greek character
set. I found this out when I tried to copy/paste into here and then type
something after it...

Weird. I get the capital letter "W" using a Latin 1 character set.

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old June 19th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 18, 10:15*am, m II wrote:
I may have a problem with the character set in my browser. On the
following page,

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electrom...esistance.html

At the location where it says:

RT = 2.5 + 1 + 3
RT = 6.5 XXXXX

I get something other than ohms.
I have placed XXXXX where the offending part is.

Are other people getting the same mistake?

I've talked to the web master, but he claims it's OK there.

mike

Fine with my view of that link . I get RT = 2.5 + 1 + 3 k Omega even
when pasted to MS Word 2000, however look below when I paste here.

RT = 6.5 kW (W in english is Omega in greek) Omega is Extended ASCII
Table character 234 (http://www.asciitable.com/). Extended ASCII is
NOT AVAILABLE HERE!

Chris
Old June 19th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article F1g6k.12$yg7.10@edtnps82, m II wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

I get 6.7 k ohm (with the omega symbol). The thing is in a Greek character
set. I found this out when I tried to copy/paste into here and then type
something after it...

Weird. I get the capital letter "W" using a Latin 1 character set.

Looking at the source code, I see

Font face="symbol"W/font

in the places where the omegas show up in the text. Perhaps the
"symbol" font is unknown/misconfigured in your browser.

Mark Zenier

Old June 20th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jun 18, 2:15 pm, m II wrote:
I may have a problem with the character set in my browser. On the
following page,

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/electrom...esistance.html

At the location where it says:

RT = 2.5 + 1 + 3
RT = 6.5 XXXXX

I get something other than ohms.
I have placed XXXXX where the offending part is.

Are other people getting the same mistake?

I've talked to the web master, but he claims it's OK there.

mike

A Cut-and-Paste from that webpage to here renders :
"The International Standard (SI) unit of resistance is the ohm,
designated by the Greek letter W."
NOTE - The Capital "W" not the "¥Ø" Symbol

Psiphon- A Stealth Browser to Bypass Big Brother ve3... Shortwave 0 November 12th 06 10:59 PM
Browser [email protected] Antenna 42 December 13th 04 06:55 PM
New Version 1.66 of ILGRadio Database Browser GNPDB Gerd Niephaus Shortwave 3 May 25th 04 01:08 AM
OT- browser [email protected] CB 9 October 14th 03 07:48 AM